Pastor Wants LGBTQ 'Indoctrinators' Executed for Treason

Do you believe this is a reasonable and rational response?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I saw a great quote about this, "you think gays are trying to force people to change their sexual orientation, what horrible would a person like that be."

This is what psychologists call "projection", and it says more about homophobic bigots than it does about gay people.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This particular “non-profit” raised about $100,000 in a year. Assuming only $1 per member (to maximize the number of members) that equates to an organization representing less than 100,000 people in a country of 300 million people. That calculates out to less than 0.03% of the population.

Contrast that with the PCUSA with 3.1 million members (about 1% of the population) that allows the ordination of Gay clergy and is very supportive of the LBGQT community.

I will stand by my description of the most extreme (less than) 0.03% of a population as “fringe”.

There's fanatical, overt support, and then there are less extreme forms of advocacy or tacit support. Homophobia and anti-LGBT bias in the United States is by no means a fringe phenomenon.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
United Kingdom
✟226,788.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Every single drag queen story hour is unsavory. Indefensibly so. But if you want to defend that, be my guest.

I'm certainly not defending the pastor in the op. I voted no in the poll, FYI.

Let's not forget that it was Christianity that forbade women from acting, in centuries past. This meant that men had to play all the parts in plays, including the female characters.

Famous female characters, like the romantic, Juliet, from Romeo and Juliet, were played by men. Imagine that! All because Christians thought that it was EVIL for women to act. Now it's the other way round, "It's EVIL for men to dress as women! Even though we made them do it for centuries."

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was accepting; the Church has its own agenda -- social control

Step 1. Set nigh-impossible standards.
Step 2. Watch people fail.
Step 3. Offer "forgiveness" for past failures in exchange for future obedience.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Well luckily, you've got a secular religion to replace it.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's opening the imagination of impressionable children to topics of sexuality. It is a "foot-in-the-door" of what "grooming" is.
When you were a child if you had been exposed to the messages young people are today would it have had any chance of ‘turning you gay’?

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When you were a child if you had been exposed to the messages young people are today would it have had any chance of ‘turning you gay’?

How young are we talking?

At one point I believed a magical fat man brought me gifts by jumping down my chimney every year.

If you were to tell me something then...I might have believed it true. If you tell children about these "identities" and then heap praise and acceptance upon those who adopt them....you don't think there's any way it could cause problems?

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is what psychologists call "projection", and it says more about homophobic bigots than it does about gay people.

Do you think it's wrong for Christians to teach their children their ideas about gender and sexuality as if they're fact?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you think it's wrong for Christians to teach their children their ideas about gender and sexuality as if they're fact?

Yes, of course. It's wrong to teach children falsehoods.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
advocating genocide is not just a difference of opinion
Regardless of how foolish a statement might be, he has the right to make it, that is one of the things that makes our nation free.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Regardless of how foolish a statement might be, he has the right to make it, that is one of the things that makes our nation free.

So let me get this straight... you're defending appeals to genocide now in the name of "freedom"? Because I see nothing in your reply that refutes that implication.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Where does a 'professional indoctrinator' get the right to bash other people for "indoctrinating kids"?

A couple critiques of this pastor's position:

1) promoting tolerance isn't "indoctrination"...to say so, would be an admission that one thinks "hate <group XYZ>" is the default...as if kids are just born hating people who are different without any outside influence.

2) if this pastor runs a church that features a "Sunday school" for kids in that same age group (an concept that's trying to lock 5-8 year olds into a particular religious belief before they're old enough to critically think for themselves), then he'd be just as guilty of trying to indoctrinate kids into a belief than any school he's criticizing.

It almost reads like an Onion headline.

"I don't want other people to tell my kids what to believe" says parent who makes their 6 yo attend Sunday School, AWANAS, and Summer Bible Camp

I agree completely except for one important distinction....

Participation in a church is voluntary. Children are required to go to school.

That's a pretty important distinction.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So let me get this straight... you're defending appeals to genocide now in the name of "freedom"? Because I see nothing in your reply that refutes that implication.

I read the article...saw no appeals to genocide.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Really? Where?
Christians often condemn Islam for its more radical acts (and rightly so).

What many Christians don't appreciate is that these extreme acts reflect on the image of religion as a whole by demonstrating what happens when faith becomes fanaticism. Ally this with the increase in verbally and politically extreme Christian representatives (see this thread) and the potential for Christianity to become extreme is obvious.

Based on what I've seen of some sections of Christianity I see a Christian version of the Taliban in the making.

Is it any wonder people are walking away from Christianity in droves?

OB

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.