USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I recently went to a counseling session with my pastor about my girlfriend an he kept saying an using the term "cougar" is that appropriate, even thou she is older then? I feel like that was not a good sign.
Get a real counselor, one with at least a master's degree in psychology.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmmm that is unusual.... is she really that much older than you? Maybe if she is, he was trying to run her off and make her grow up and quit preying upon a younger mate? I agree though, using that term is not appropriate, but then neither is a much older-much younger relationship. Not a good sign for relationships, trust me.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is difficult to judge a word without also knowing the totality of the context in which it was used. What point was being made, or was there any point to it at all? It seems to have offended you so it was at least an unfortunate word choice. But as far as "explicit" goes, counselors can use words a lot more explicit than that.

Really, if something was said in counseling that gives you pause, you should discuss it with your counselor (pastor, in this case), even if only to mark your displeasure. It's always better to try to work out differences before walking away to a new counselor.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastors in main line churches have more than a masters degree. It is the associate degree pastors you have to watch out for. They do not have enough training to council anyone. They can preach a sermon because God is working through them for that.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As a psychotherapist, I only go so far in discussing religious issues before saying, "I think you should talk with your pastor about that." Wise clergy do likewise when they are in over their head on counseling issues.

• Agree
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently went to a counseling session with my pastor about my girlfriend an he kept saying an using the term "cougar" is that appropriate, even thou she is older then? I feel like that was not a good sign.
Since when was "cougar" an explicit term??

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say using that term is suggestive and disrespectful to your gf, given the general connotations it has in the world.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if it's "explicit", but I find it hard to see how it would be respectful, especially in the context of pastoral counseling. I'd think that a qualified pastor, if they had reason to be concerned, could find plenty of ways to discuss that in ways which are respectful.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Pastors in main line churches have more than a masters degree. It is the associate degree pastors you have to watch out for. They do not have enough training to council anyone. They can preach a sermon because God is working through them for that.
In my view, people should not be counseling unless they are highly trained in psychology as I noted. Theological degrees do not count.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my view, people should not be counseling unless they are highly trained in psychology as I noted. Theological degrees do not count.
And they should be well versed in the gifts of knowledge, wisdom and discerning of spirits. See 1 Cor 12.

Example: A woman I know is a clinical psycotherapist. Before going into private practice, she worked at a local (northern virgina) mental hospital. One day a patient there slit her wrists in an attempted suicide. Fortunately she was immediately given medical care. A few days later when her wounds were healing up she was taken before several of the staff to answer some questions. My friend was last in the rotation. they all asked how she smuggled in the knife, what her mental state was, why she felt it necessary to cut herself. (the normal stuff)

My friend asked her "Where did you hide the other knife?"

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Not in counselling or psychology. I have a masters' degree in divinity and other qualifications, but I'm not a qualified counsellor or psychologist, and someone needing formal counselling needs more than I can give them.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not in counselling or psychology. I have a masters' degree in divinity and other qualifications, but I'm not a qualified counsellor or psychologist, and someone needing formal counselling needs more than I can give them.
My brother has a PhD in Psychology and I do not consider him to be qualified for anything other then testing. If you look at his personal life it is a mess. I think people go into psychology because they are hoping to find a solution for their own issues. God has the answers and the solutions, not man.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My brother has a PhD in Psychology and I do not consider him to be qualified for anything other then testing. If you look at his personal life it is a mess. I think people go into psychology because they are hoping to find a solution for their own issues. God has the answers and the solutions, not man.
How nice of you to bad mouth your own brother and if Christian Forums.com is anything to go by, lots of Christians have "issues" even though they believe in the biblical god.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm guessing from the O.P. that this was about pastoral advice on relationships/future marriage rather than counselling for problems, so it sounds like pastor territory.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not necessarily respectful to women to be using that term in most contexts. Perhaps it was just a tasteless joke, but what I just said still applies.

It's also not particularly respectful to your relationship. Frankly, I'd find another church if that is typical of his attitudes. Your pastor could be making judgments about your personal life that he should not be making.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It sounds pretty inappropriate to me...the term "couger" generally refers to a sexually aggressive older woman who's into younger men. Even if she fits the term, it's somewhat derogatory and I would feel disrespected.

Keep in mind though, you went to your pastor for counseling. As far as I know, they have no professional standard or training as counselors. You get what you've paid for.

Upvote 0