Pastor Rob Bell Leaving Mars Hill Church

N

Niemander

Bell questioned whether hell existed and entertained the idea that, if it does exist, perhaps people sent there have a chance to leave and go to heaven.
I've been a Christian over 30 years now and there's one consistent thing I've observed in those who've fallen away from Christ - the first serious belief they adopt is the non-existence of hell.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Well there is nothing wrong with him taking the message to a wider audience if he feels God wants him to do so and pastoring a large church is restricting that.

As to his book, I havent read it. In the link he seems to question whether people can go from hell to heaven but the Bible rules that out, life and death are opposites let alone eternal life and eternal death.

But if he is doing this tour with this message then the unbelieving world will be pleased.

Upvote 0

woodpecker

Mar 10, 2011
✟17,212.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
we need to pray for this pastor, he has lost his way, we must pray that God will stop this false teaching from being preached by this man.
-------
Rob Bell: "Feeling the call from God to pursue a growing number of strategic opportunities, our founding pastor Rob Bell, has decided to leave Mars Hill in order to devote his full energy to sharing the message of God's love with a broader audience,"
------

he is spreading a message that 'tickles the ears' but is not truth. The apostles warned us about this.

Reactions: Faith.Man
Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

we need to pray for this pastor, he has lost his way, we must pray that God will stop this false teaching from being preached by this man.
-------
Rob Bell: "Feeling the call from God to pursue a growing number of strategic opportunities, our founding pastor Rob Bell, has decided to leave Mars Hill in order to devote his full energy to sharing the message of God's love with a broader audience,"
------

he is spreading a message that 'tickles the ears' but is not truth. The apostles warned us about this.

I agree. Prayer will do more than anything to end this heretic and his heresy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnny Todd

Sep 19, 2011
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-------
------

the saddest thing is, there is a broader audience just waiting to except it:doh:

Reactions: Faith.Man
Upvote 0

CryptoLutheran

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
✟12,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Boy this thread has certainly turned into an ugly mob engaging in a witch hunt.

:doh:

Are you really surprised?

People like having their plastic Jesus who is just as angry and hateful as they are. It's easier that way, there's no need for repentance or conscience.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

CryptoLutheran

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
Sep 13, 2010
Pacific Northwest
✟12,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ugly mob....really? ^_^ Witch hunt...you have got to be kidding.:confused::D

In the reviews of Bell's book that I've read, and actual videos of Bell talking/preaching there doesn't seem to be much substance to much of the accusations leveled.

Frankly it comes across mostly as relying entirely on gossip and rumor rather than anything of fact or substance.

And yes, a witch hunt does seem to be what's going on with Bell.

My understanding of what Bell has addressed in his controversial book is really nothing all that new, orthodox Christian theologians and teachers have implied or said things of a similar nature over the course of the last two thousand years. As far as I know Bell has never said that he thinks hell doesn't exist, but that seems to be the continually repeated statement.

It usually all just comes across as simply that Bell doesn't fit the conservative Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestant mold that some think all Christians have to fit into in order to be True Christians™.

Most Christians aren't American-flavored Fundagelicals, and if that upsets some people then tough.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It usually all just comes across as simply that Bell doesn't fit the conservative Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestant mold that some think all Christians have to fit into in order to be True Christians™.

Hit the nail on the head, buddy.

Unfortunately too much of western Christianity is afraid to ask the difficult questions and instead are content to throw stones at our brothers and sisters in Christ. Instead of actually trying to understand someones story, they take what others have to say about them and then assemble some sort of warped, inaccurate and bigoted opinion of the person in question, all in the name of piety.

Upvote 0

Freedom63

Universal Reconciliationist (Eventually)
Aug 4, 2011
Indiana
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hit the nail on the head, buddy.

Unfortunately too much of western Christianity is afraid to ask the difficult questions and instead are content to throw stones at our brothers and sisters in Christ. Instead of actually trying to understand someones story, they take what others have to say about them and then assemble some sort of warped, inaccurate and bigoted opinion of the person in question, all in the name of piety.

Both of you are right on in my opinion. I read Bell's book. I found it to be an example of rather lazy writing and it annoyingly seemed to wander and lose focus. But these accusations being leveled at him are based primarily on rumor and hysteria.

The doctrine of Universal Reconciliation has been around since the church was formed and represented the majority view until around 300 or 400 AD. It is a discussion that the church desperately needs to have. I was raised in and have spent most of my adult life in that "conservative Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestant mold" and have finally broken free of it. Rob Bell is not the threat to the church, militant and closed minded dogma most certainly is.

Upvote 0

sniperelite7

Jun 13, 2005
✟8,240.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Its more like the casual disregarding of a new(old) idea that bothers me. I'd much rather see rational discussion on the topic, its always bothered me that my church never seems to address controversial topics. If you never challenge yourself, you might not learn new things, then you'll never grow.

Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I think its great. I wish Pastor Bell luck in his journey to spread the Gospel. I've read his book and found it refreshing. Unfortunately, as CryptoLutheran has pointed out, most of the claims against him are based on rumors, conjecture, and hysteria.

God Bless,
Wesley

:liturgy:

Upvote 0