Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pastor resigns after political spat
Ousted congregants say he mixed politics and religion
CNN.com Article said:
WAYNESVILLE, North Carolina -- A Baptist preacher accused of running out nine congregants who disagreed with his Republican politics resigned Tuesday, two days after calling the issue "a great misunderstanding."

Speaking from the pulpit during a meeting at East Waynesville Baptist Church, the Rev. Chan Chandler told church members that it would "cause more hurt for me and my family" if he stayed.

Marklet12

Mar 18, 2005
✟9,504.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
seebs said:
I would hope not. Sounds to me like he's probably started repenting, even. Good deal.
From that article, it doesn't sound like he's repenting at all. He sounds like he thinks he's in the right, but wants to leave so people stop making fun of him.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yojimbo said:
From that article, it doesn't sound like he's repenting at all. He sounds like he thinks he's in the right, but wants to leave so people stop making fun of him.

Yes -- I'm strongly libertarian on most social issues.
Yes -- I tend to be strongly conservative on fiscal issues, though my priorities would be MUCH different that than of the current Administration.

But using the pulpit to promote a political agenda -- or worse, a political party or a political candidate, and equating ANY political agenda with "God's will" has to be the ZENITH of blasphemy!

I would be just as appalled if a pastor had gotten up and endorsed John Kerry, or the Democratic Party, or the Green or Libertarian Party from the pulpit.

Church is a time to worship God. It is NOT the time for engaging in political discussions, especially as part of a sermon!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nathanel

Dec 6, 2004
✟1,006.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
UberLutheran said:
... Church is a time to worship God. It is NOT the time for engaging in political discussions, especially as part of a sermon!
I respectfully disagree. If a pastor is to teach the relavence of Scripture, and "16All scripture is given by inspiration of יהוה, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of יהוה may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." (II Tim.3:16) Then it would seem perfectly appropriate that issues of politics should get some attention. I just totally disagree with the idea that one could advocate those of a different political persuasion/conviction are not welcome, or worth listening to for that matter. That to me just seems mighty arrogant and dangerously authoritarian. But no, politics should be discussed. They represent a part of our lives that we struggle with, where a teaching could help us find a healthy way to engage these issues of life rather than leaving us to fend for ourselves.

Upvote 0

SKY80

May 9, 2005
mid west
✟15,598.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
freealaska said:
Look we all know Christians were told to vote for Bush in the last election. This pastor's problem is just that he has a lousy sense of timing.

I dont agree i talked to my pastor and he said follow your heart and teachings as a christian, he to this day wont talk politics.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
nathanel said:
I respectfully disagree. If a pastor is to teach the relavence of Scripture, and "16All scripture is given by inspiration of יהוה, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of יהוה may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." (II Tim.3:16) Then it would seem perfectly appropriate that issues of politics should get some attention. I just totally disagree with the idea that one could advocate those of a different political persuasion/conviction are not welcome, or worth listening to for that matter. That to me just seems mighty arrogant and dangerously authoritarian. But no, politics should be discussed. They represent a part of our lives that we struggle with, where a teaching could help us find a healthy way to engage these issues of life rather than leaving us to fend for ourselves.
I agree to a point. IMO, the nature of the political issue plays a huge role in whether or not a chruch can attempt to influence it's members. On social issues like abortion and gay marriage I don't see a problem. Things like foreign policy and fiscal issues should be for the most part off limits on the pulpit.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
kermit said:
On social issues like abortion and gay marriage I don't see a problem. Things like foreign policy and fiscal issues should be for the most part off limits on the pulpit.
You must have that redacted version of the Bible (the "Updated Santorum Version"), in which Jesus makes no mention of the poor and powerless.

Reactions: SisterGeoff
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
burrow_owl said:
You must have that redacted version of the Bible (the "Updated Santorum Version"), in which Jesus makes no mention of the poor and powerless.
Isn't poverty a social issue? I just used abortion and gay marriage as examples and is by no means a complete list.

Upvote 0

nathanel

Dec 6, 2004
✟1,006.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
kermit said:
I agree to a point. IMO, the nature of the political issue plays a huge role in whether or not a chruch can attempt to influence it's members. On social issues like abortion and gay marriage I don't see a problem. Things like foreign policy and fiscal issues should be for the most part off limits on the pulpit.
Well in my opinion there shouldn't be any part of life that is omitted from being relavent or addressed. This doesn't mean the pastor is obligated to state a position on one side or the other (especially if it is something he/she is uninformed about). However, it should be the duty of every pastor to address all the issues that may be causing grief or concern to the church members so as to comfort, alleviate anxiety, promote healthy response, etc. This should very much be within the scope of a pastor's expertise, and I would hope that any terrible concerns (killing/theft/destruction/deception here or abroad) of the day would not be glossed over for any reason. Even if all they do is acknowledge that we don't know (which is fine), but encourage us in how to handle our fear or grief of the "unknown" this would help immeasurably. In my opinion any pastor that actively avoids these types of issues is negligent in his/her duty to help the congregents.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The pastor was obviously wrong to kick people out of his church for being Democrats.

The pastor did well by resigning his post as pastor. This would allow the church to heal and have a fresh start with a new pastor.

I believe that pastors/Priests have a right to preach about issues and how we should approach them as Christians (all issues).

However, some issues are more "black and white" on how they are approached than others. I'll use the Catholic Church's approach to abortion: It is sinful and always wrong. So, if one is a faithful Catholic, one will think very carefully before voting (say, for president) for someone who is pro-abortion. Now, what is the Catholic Church's approach to poverty?: well, poor people should be helped and also their dignity as humans should be upheld. How to do this? I would argue that you can be a good CAtholic and support either the Republican or Democratic ways of solving poverty.:preach:

cheers

Upvote 0

Westvleteren

Abt. 12 Trappistenbier
Mar 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
✟16,480.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Wherever he's assigned next, I hope the IRS man takes a peek. If he's going to use his church to influence Caesar's business, it's time for his church to start a-renderin' unto.

I personally find it gratifying that there was a schism in the church over it. If the congregation had all said, "Baa-a-a-a-a. Amen," we never would have heard about it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.