Married
Christians understand that.
Unbelievers don't.
It's that simple.

Jesus said to take communion often.
This is done in Church.

M
M
Bingo. It is the church that separates the bread and wine from their common use into their use for sacramental purposes. These are deep spiritual matters, not a television show or a podcast.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did I not say that it is not my life I value more?

I value others' lives more than my own. I am an EMT after all and at high risk of catching any myriad of illnesses that can end my life. If I could still be a volunteer firefighter I would be, but my asthma prevents that.

What I am saying is that online services are what's needed right now because the lives of other people are at risk just by being in a mass attended event. People have already died because they went to a church service. People do not need to risk their lives to attend in-person services when there are alternatives, such as online. There is absolutely nothing wrong with online services except for the contrived reasons I have seen here in this thread.

There is also a verse that has been posted in this thread that says to follow the authorities because God put them in place. During a pandemic, online services fill the need to go to service without risking lives. I am sorry, but closing churches because of a pandemic is not going against God when there are alternatives in place.
My point was that sense the Bible says we are to follow government authorities until it conflicts with God's law one could I believe make a reasonable argument ( even I personally do not agree with it that as it relates to the closing of churches that is disobeying God's law by foresakeing meeting together. Not saying that I agree with that ( though I do agree that churches should be PREMITTED to re-open if they so choose, but I do believe that one could make the reasonable argument that by following government authorities rules of not allowing churches to open that is not following God's command to not foresake meeting together.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Agreed. The number of dead from this will at least double.
Which still comes out to less than the black death OR the 1918 flu.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Going to Walmart or any other grocery store is much different than sitting next to people in a pew while they are singing and you know it.
Is anyone FORCEING people to go to in-person services?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Which still comes out to less than the black death OR the 1918 flu.

Fortunately we have made great medical advances. We are not treating COVID by rubbing the victim’s body with a chicken or applying leeches or applying human excrement paste on the victim or having the victim take a bath in urine as was done with the Black Death in 1350. The Spanish Flu? In 1918 they didn't even know the Spanish Flu was a virus. Of course the deaths from COVID are far less.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Is anyone FORCEING people to go to in-person services?

It's possible that some churches would indeed force people to attend in-person services. There is also that some people will feel obligated because the doors are open that they have to go.

Not sure if you have realized it by now or not, but my mind will not change on this. I have transported way too many people or their bodies because they were infected with Covid-19 to change my mind.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Fortunately we have made great medical advances. We are not treating COVID by rubbing the victim’s body with a chicken or applying leeches or applying human excrement paste on the victim or having the victim take a bath in urine as was done with the Black Death in 1350. The Spanish Flu? In 1918 they didn't even know the Spanish Flu was a virus. Of course the deaths from COVID are far less.
Yes, we have made advancements which is great, but if I am comparing the body count it is still clear to me that co-vid will come up FAR short of those totals and funny how they were wearing masks is 1918 and STILL got the number of dead they got. Yet, with Co-vid there are a number of cases where people were tested who were not ill came up positive, but would not have even been tested if it had not been for some other factor. Yes, the deaths are sad, but that number is a LOT smaller than the confirmed recoverities of people who did not die ( even if they do have lasting effects. If the numbers were flipped I would be freaking out but they are not.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's possible that some churches would indeed force people to attend in-person services. There is also that some people will feel obligated because the doors are open that they have to go.

Not sure if you have realized it by now or not, but my mind will not change on this. I have transported way too many people or their bodies because they were infected with Covid-19 to change my mind.
Well, my mind will not change either looking at those same numbers and knowing or knowing of people at both sides of the virus died and hardly nothing at all. As for me personally getting it between those numbers and having accepted my own mortality ages ago I am not worried about it either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, we have made advancements which is great, but if I am comparing the body count it is still clear to me that co-vid will come up FAR short of those totals and funny how they were wearing masks is 1918 and STILL got the number of dead they got. Yet, with Co-vid there are a number of cases where people were tested who were not ill came up positive, but would not have even been tested if it had not been for some other factor. Yes, the deaths are sad, but that number is a LOT smaller than the confirmed recoverities of people who did not die ( even if they do have lasting effects. If the numbers were flipped I would be freaking out but they are not.
And again, of course the body count was greater in both earlier pandemics. I would hope that modern medicine offers far superior treatment and, thus, many fewer dead.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
And again, of course the body count was greater in both earlier pandemics. I would hope that modern medicine offers far superior treatment and, thus, many fewer dead.

Not to mention the quality of masks today compared to the masks in 1918.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not to mention the quality of masks today compared to the masks in 1918.
True. Most masks used in 1918 were made of gauze, a porous material that didn't help much. What those who are wearing masks today—which should be everyone but it isn’t—are wearing are far superior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Y’all sorta remind me of a news item I read once . During an earthquake, a lot of people ran into the church think that God was going to protect them. The building collapsed on them killing most of them and injuring the rest . Common sense (and geologists )would have told them to stay outside . You think that deliberately not protecting yourselves from a contagious disease shows solidarity with our president. You also think that hanging around other potentially contagious people in a church building is somehow pleasing to God . God would tell you himself not to be so stupid!

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Except that one is over and this one isn't. We'll be counting the bodies for some time to come.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's possible that some churches would indeed force people to attend in-person services.

There is also that some people will feel obligated because the doors are open that they have to go.

Oh sure maybe 1 out of 500 churches.
None around here.
If you could actually find one please post.

M

Upvote 0

Nigel Malka

Feb 28, 2020
Coventry
Visit site
✟17,947.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Of course churches should be open !
PROVIDING they care for their members so they try to stop covid spreading form one member to another. when close or talking face to face with one another wear a mask, No hugs, don;t shake hands, make sure the building has good air circulation, look out and care for one another.
Two churches where Ipreach at have opened and when I have taken services there I have felt other and myself have been safe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There’s a new member SunsetsAndSkylines who’s got Covid 19 and she’s requesting prayers . If you think this is a joke disease ask her how she feels . I’m also requesting prayers for her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes there is a long delay before you start showing symptoms of Covid . This disease is not a political statement. It’s deadly and it injures ! Wear your mask ! Social distance! And stop treating this as if you have the civil right to infect others .

• Agree
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,352.00
Faith
Christian
The church opens its doors to the public. Have fun meeting outside in driving rainstorms and in subzero weather. Do you really expect Christians to meet outside in the midwest and northeast in January? Ridiculous.

So why do you believe that God will protect you from COVID, but not from the cold?

Or is it more that you really do believe that you could come to harm from the winter cold, and therefore don't expect that people should worship in those conditions, whereas you believe that COVID is some kind of hoax, therefore you think that there's actually no reason not to keep meeting indoors (where infections are spreading)?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So why do you believe that God will protect you from COVID,

but not from the cold?

Or is it more that you really do believe that you could come to harm from the winter cold, and therefore don't expect that people should worship in those conditions, whereas you believe that COVID is some kind of hoax, therefore you think that there's actually no reason not to keep meeting indoors (where infections are spreading)?

Has ((((( anyone ))))) actually said that?
M

Upvote 0