Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He brought this to light due to the email received by the woman.

I tend to skim these posts/articles, so thanks for that clarification.

This guy isn't sorry, he just got caught and is doing damage control. He needs to forget about the congregation and go straight to God to get this worked out, and I'd suggest he be a bit more sincere than he has been up until now.

And definitely fire him now.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, this is one of those issues that is somewhat in a grey area. Having researched this, he was 22 and she was 17. So its not like some 50 year old doing it to a 17 year old. Many people have relationships that are just under 18 with someone who may be 18, 19, 20...etc. Its like when a 18 year old goes to prision for being in a relationship with someone who 6 months from turning 18. It shouldn't be a big deal. They are essentially the same age. Though in this case he was 22. Also if I seen right she was fine with what happened at the time. There was no forced situation. They had mutual sex with no fight put up.

And while our laws say technically she was a minor, who really decides that? In many countries the age is very different. In my wifes country you cannot marry under 22 unless your family agrees to it. Which also means you get weird stories of 70 year olds marrying 14 year olds. What is the biblical answer for what age makes you an adult? Remember in some stuff back then, older guys were marrying VERY young women. Maybe there wasn't even a adult vs child thing back then.

To note I am not advocating its ok to marry or even be in a relationship with someone underage, its creepy and wrong. However I am saying us americans go by what we know as law. So to us we believe we know the right age. Just as in another country they believe they know the right age.

All this aside, I don't understand the crowd applauding his confession. Then again I'd need to see the clip. Was he admitting to it as in to confess he screwed up and he asked for forgiveness and its now forgiven? Because many christians will bring up past issues in order to teach lessons. Heck I do the same thing. People aren't going to learn if we all pretend we are perfect and hide our past deeds that were sinful.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently there is no statute of limitations in Texas, so it looks like he will be brought to justice, which is I think best for all concerned.
The age of consent in Texas is 17.

you clearly have not read it Phil...conversation over at my end
Oh, I read it, including this part of her email...
Do you remember how you acted like you loved me and cared about me in order for me to cooperate in such acts, only to run out of the vehicle later and fall to your knees begging for forgiveness and for me not to tell anyone what had just happened?
That's called consent, no matter how sleazy and sinful his actions may have been.

Upvote 0

A71

Mar 8, 2017
Europe
✟30,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From another site:

Watching his statement on youtube, he almost makes a person forget that he took a vulnerable minor and drove her to a remote location — as her pastor — and then pulled out his penis.

He didn’t ask her out on a date. She didn’t say, ‘hey baby, let’s find a place to park so we can make out when it gets dark’. Nope. He didn’t even kiss her! Just threw the car into park and pulled out his penis.

I agree with the person who said he abducted her. She didn’t agree to get in his car to be taken to a wooded area at night via some dirt road. He was to take her from the church to her home. He abducted her.

Thank the LORD for her courage to say something, to speak truth. Holding a going away party for him??? Ugh!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Saw this in the New York Times. You know how Christians come clean with their past and how they've been redeemed?

Memphis Pastor Admits ‘Sexual Incident’ With High School Student 20 Years Ago

Of course, the crowd in the church he admitted this to cheered and gave him praise, however, the woman he sinned against (sexual assault), although this is many years later, turn him into the authorities just now after seeing his video and his congregation on YouTube.

She was in tears when saw this, and this was caused her to take action.

The situation he admitted to happened years ago in Texas when she was 17. He was a youth pastor at the time. The statute of limitations has run out.

But what is your opinion on this?

As a Christian, should he be rejoiced and cheered or be jeered?

We can only forgive the sins that others have committed against us, not the sins that have been committed against someone else. Jesus said if we do not forgive the sins of others, then we will not be forgive and if we have an offering to bring before God and remember that our brother has something against us, then we should first become reconciled to our brother, then return to our offering. So it is good for the pastor to confess his sins before God, but he should have first sought to become reconciled to the woman that he sexually assaulted. Maybe he tried to find her and couldn't, I don't know, but now that she has made herself known, he needs to seek to become reconciled to her regardless of the statute of limitations.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
From a legal point of view her age and that he was in a relative position of authority in the church over her, will no doubt be taken in to account as will his confession and contrition.
The position taken by the church will have little influence on the law.
There will probably be a young Texas prosecutor waiting to make his name out of this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whatever the case is shouldn't we be forgiving of him regardless? Isn't that our whole message? Forgiveness? I mean it doesn't mean hes a good person still, but we are still taught to forgive just as we are forgiven by God. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

With that said now that I seen he took her to the woods and pulled out his junk, that does make it seem more like forcing her into sex. Though she could have refused, but she likely was to afraid to say no. Problem is there are two sides to every story. And we don't know whos really being honest. For all we know maybe she offered sex. Or maybe when he undid his pants she was like "Im gonna make you so happy!".

Problem I am finding in today's world is people just make sexual accusations without proof. And we tend to believe the woman over the man.... well just because they are women. We had a friend who when she was 15 told cops her dad raped her many times. So they believed her and he went to prison for 20 years. A few years ago she admitted she lied about the whole thing and just wanted him to "pay" for telling she wasn't allowed to go out at the time to stay out late with her friends. Mind you she didn't go to the courts and say "Can you let my dad out, I lied!". Nope, she still left him there to rot.

He got about 4 years ago and hes not the same man. He looks like hes from a concentration camp. Super skinny, long hair, beyond wrinkled and "haggard" looking. He has a ton of mental issues now. Its very sad all because someone lied about sexual stuff. And true, maybe these sort of things are the minority in sexual abuse/assault cases. But assuming the abuse is true means many get sent to prison or have a tarnished record forever because people assumed things.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

A71

Mar 8, 2017
Europe
✟30,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is why we call God as a second witness in such cases, to corroborate the truth. Yes there are a lot of false accusations made, which will be a matter for the court to decide. But my gut or spirit or whatever believes her.

Whatever the case is shouldn't we be forgiving of him regardless? Isn't that our whole message? Forgiveness? I mean it doesn't mean hes a good person still, but we are still taught to forgive just as we are forgiven by God. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

With that said now that I seen he took her to the woods and pulled out his junk, that does make it seem more like forcing her into sex. Though she could have refused, but she likely was to afraid to say no. Problem is there are two sides to every story. And we don't know whos really being honest. For all we know maybe she offered sex. Or maybe when he undid his pants she was like "Im gonna make you so happy!".

Problem I am finding in today's world is people just make sexual accusations without proof. And we tend to believe the woman over the man.... well just because they are women. We had a friend who when she was 15 told cops her dad raped her many times. So they believed her and he went to prison for 20 years. A few years ago she admitted she lied about the whole thing and just wanted him to "pay" for telling she wasn't allowed to go out at the time to stay out late with her friends. Mind you she didn't go to the courts and say "Can you let my dad out, I lied!". Nope, she still left him there to rot.

He got about 4 years ago and hes not the same man. He looks like hes from a concentration camp. Super skinny, long hair, beyond wrinkled and "haggard" looking. He has a ton of mental issues now. Its very sad all because someone lied about sexual stuff. And true, maybe these sort of things are the minority in sexual abuse/assault cases. But assuming the abuse is true means many get sent to prison or have a tarnished record forever because people assumed things.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The relevant part

“The admission by the pastor, Andy Savage, came several days after a woman accused him of sexually assaulting her in 1998 when she was 17”

He didn’t like just repent and come out with it. He confessed after he got accused.

Of course people cheer, who cares he made 17 year old give him some oral in the woods as might happen to any youth pastor.

Probably some demon just momentarily possessed him before he regained his God given faculties and continued his humble career towards leading a mega church.
I really hope, you are being sarcastic when you write "who cares he made 17 year old give him some oral in the woods as might happen to any youth pastor "!!!! etc
It is not clear exactly what you mean . If you are serious it is DIABOLICAL .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
David was a murderer. Paul applauded the killing of Christians. He and the woman were both young people with raging hormones. And the woman even admitted that in the middle of the act he repented.

And it happened 20 years ago. I'd applaud him too, unless it turns out he kept doing it with her or other women.
The reason it happens is because of ...... like this .

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You don't think what this guy did qualifies as abuse? Really?
It qualifies as a crime where I am from as he was in a position of trust as well as being a creep . Men got away with serious sexual misbehaviour towards women ,until recently ,but the Wheel is turning ,and as God said, all will be out in the open one day - it has arrived that day and it not turning back .
There is still work to do as the courts and police are mostly men ,but they cannot escape God's judgement .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi I think they cheered him not condoning of his sin but in support of where he has gone on since then. David committed adultery and had Uriah killed to cover up his sin and God called David out who openly repented and psalm 51 is a powerful song of repentance.
o the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.
1 Have mercy upon me, O God,
According to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
Blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,
And my sin is always before me.
4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight—
That You may be found just when You speak,[fn]
And blameless when You judge.
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
9 Hide Your face from my sins,
And blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You.
14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
The God of my salvation,
And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.
16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise.
18 Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion;
Build the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness,
With burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar.

David afterwards was called a man after Gods own heart.

This man back then was an adult but her being 17 and him being 22 is borderline on age difference. He had to have courage to admit what he did openly and apologize for it. Many other people would have denied anything as at this point it is a he said she said sort of thing. He has obviously moved past this and she should too. Her bringing it up now seems a bit vengeful as the guy he is now is not the same guy from 20 years ago. I do not want to marginalize the past incident and dismiss it but we should always forgive others as Christ has also forgiven us. If she had this attitude she might have addressed the situation privately rather than publicly.
I don't want you to dimiss it either as it might make it look like sexual abuse is something you think is normal ,does'nt it ?
It is not for you or the congregation to 'forgive ' ,as the crime was not against you ,or do you think that you have been given the power by God to forgive sins of those you do not know .
The only ones who can forgive here are the 'girl' and God ,and only when repented SINCERELY .

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It is not for you to forgive or not . No wonder evil can proliferate as it does when this kind of thinking is so often seen on here .

• Agree
Reactions: RisenInJesus
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saw this in the New York Times. You know how Christians come clean with their past and how they've been redeemed?

Memphis Pastor Admits ‘Sexual Incident’ With High School Student 20 Years Ago

Of course, the crowd in the church he admitted this to cheered and gave him praise, however, the woman he sinned against (sexual assault), although this is many years later, turn him into the authorities just now after seeing his video and his congregation on YouTube.

She was in tears when saw this, and this was caused her to take action.

The situation he admitted to happened years ago in Texas when she was 17. He was a youth pastor at the time. The statute of limitations has run out.

But what is your opinion on this?

As a Christian, should he be rejoiced and cheered or be jeered?
It is interesting how a non-church organisation treated similar matters so much more seriously than a church did. That does not speak well for Christianity does it?
Ms. Woodson said she decided to come forward with her story after glancing at the front page of USA Today in December. On the cover of the newspaper was an article about the dismissal of Matt Lauer, the anchor of NBC’s “Today” who was fired after a former colleague accused him of inappropriate sexual behavior.​
It such a pity that churches are so committed to forgiving their leaders but not so committed to helping the victims of the leaders.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.