Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Other articles, including this one, have more detail. If details are true, given his position of authority, clearly abuse.

Memphis Megachurch Stands By Pastor Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Teenager
I read her email. I read your link above. This is a non-story. This is going down in his church exactly as it should. I question her motives.

I base much on this last part of the link you posted:

"According to Woodson, Savage was not immediately punished for his behavior and the church’s leadership only took action after she told members of her all-women discipleship group some of what had transpired that night with the youth pastor.

Even then, however, the church never “came out with an official statement addressing what had happened and/or what was being done about it,”
Woodson said. “Instead, they held a going-away reception for Andy at the church in which he was allowed to simply say that he had made a poor decision and that it was time for him to move on from our church.”

It sounds like she thinks he should never be forgiven and losing his position was not good enough. If he were not a young person himself, I might feel a bit differently, but he was. It matters. A lot.

Now, if it turns out he didn't change and has a string of such events in his past, I'll modify my position significantly.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that what you would tell your wife if it had been her 20 years ago ?
As her husband, it is my job to be always on her side no matter what. But my wife wouldn't handle it this way. I know because worse happened to her. She's fine. She's even forgiven the guy. Go figure.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One reason not to let your daughter near youth pastors or whatever.
Also one reason my wife and I implemented Pence's policy when we were married.

Human beings are sexual creatures. It is wise to be aware of the impact it has on activity and motivation, especially between the ages of 14 and 25. Hormones are very strong. I remember vividly.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a Christian, should he be rejoiced and cheered or be jeered?
"I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." Luke 15:7

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just read her email:

Reading that email solidified my position.

I see her as the problem here. even if he didn't repent. What, exactly was the reason for the email? She even says right in that email that he fell on his knees and asked for forgiveness. And when she said he "sexually assaulted" her, that is just a label, like saying a store "ripped you off". Did they take money out of your wallet, or did they sell you an item at an agreed to price and later regretted the purchase and found out that the store down the street sold it for less.

"Sexual assault" is a legal term, but she has not provided proof that the label applies to what happened that night, 20 years ago.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. i.e. she would have been much better off to drop it at this particular time, 20 years later.
I agree. In her email she admits the act was consensual. Lying to a person in order to have sex may be reprehensible, and it's certainly sinful, but it sure as heck isn't sexual assault. IMO the pastor was smart to get it out in the open as he did.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. In her email she admits the act was consensual. Lying to a person in order to have sex may be reprehensible, and it's certainly sinful, but it sure as heck isn't sexual assault. IMO the pastor was smart to get it out in the open as he did.
It's also what pretty much every single young man has done, and a few married one.

Has the world forgotten the phrase, "Men use love to get sex and women use sex to get love."?

I'm no fan of what he did, but there are many things going on here. So far, only one party seems to have repented of anything. Why did she choose to taint the life of a 42 year old man for what he did when he was 21, and as far as he knew, was consensual? I don't get it.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have very mixed feelings about this incident. There was no need for the pastor to bring the incident to light. In fact, it leads me to question his motivation for doing this. I am also appalled by the reaction of the congregation.

His public apology came after her public telling of the story on her blog.

So he didn't bring it to light. She did. He had no option other than to make a public response.

Responding to the OP, all of this is a terrible situation that shows the long lasting consequences of sin. It should cause us all to fear and to diligently put sin to death in our own lives and flee from all temptation.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, that is an issue that needs to be considered, but as to the basic idea of making a public confession and the hearers applauding in reply, that is not an uncommon practice in some churches. It would not happen in yours or mine, but I'm hesitant to denounce this congregation for welcoming a confession. That it apparently occurred after the incident had become known does, I agree, bring in an additional consideration.

This is a perfect example of why the early Church abandoned public confession of sins. Somebody's feelings invariably get hurt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When the guy ran out of the car and fell on his knees shouting his repentance, he also wanted her to not say anything.
His repentance looks like Judas' repentance. He regretted it and wanted to push it under the rug.
This was not repentance.
Where is the record of his making amends to her?

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the guy ran out of the car and fell on his knees shouting his repentance, he also wanted her to not say anything.
Does that seem odd to you? Can you name a single person that would not at least feel that way at the time? I'm missing the revelation here.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His repentance looks like Judas' repentance. He regretted it and wanted to push it under the rug.
This was not repentance.
Where is the record of his making amends to her?
There are a lot of things not recorded, and recorded. However, it is important to note that this was 20 years ago and yes, he lost his position in the church.

Why do you think she brought it forward today, over 20 years later?

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Saw this in the New York Times. You know how Christians come clean with their past and how they've been redeemed?

Memphis Pastor Admits ‘Sexual Incident’ With High School Student 20 Years Ago

Of course, the crowd in the church he admitted this to cheered and gave him praise, however, the woman he sinned against (sexual assault), although this is many years later, turn him into the authorities just now after seeing his video and his congregation on YouTube.

She was in tears when saw this, and this was caused her to take action.

The situation he admitted to happened years ago in Texas when she was 17. He was a youth pastor at the time. The statute of limitations has run out.

But what is your opinion on this?

As a Christian, should he be rejoiced and cheered or be jeered?
Why didn't he contact the girl and make amends to her instead of bragging about it to his church? I just don't see how telling them without contacting her could possibly be repentance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why didn't he contact the girl and make amends to her instead of bragging about it to his church?

And where exactly did he brag about this encounter? Let's please discuss the facts here, not invent things with which to find outrage. Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: Almost there
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does that seem odd to you? Can you name a single person that would not at least feel that way at the time? I'm missing the revelation here.
That may have been fine for an initial reaction. He still would have had to make amends to her.
It does not matter if people say it was consensual, even if she had been of age, he still broke God's law.
He wanted to cover it up.
That was his way of dealing with it.
Proverbs 28:13
He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does that really sound like repenting to you ?
Is that the entire scope of his repentance? It is only a 20 year old recollection of what he said at that moment, not the account of his full repentance or everything he even said that night. It sounds exactly like what a 21 year old kid who was a Christian would say and do in such a situation. At least it didn't take him a week or longer to figure it out as it does most boys.

The real story here is not what he did. That's a "dog bites man" story. The real story is why did she feel the need to resurrect it?

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.
That's an excellent verse. Following that initial mishandling, he confessed what he did to his church, her family, his potential wife, and his new church and their leadership. And when she reached out to him, 20 years later, instead of asking her to stay silent he publicly confessed again to his congregation.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That may have been fine for an initial reaction. He still would have had to make amends to her.
It does not matter if people say it was consensual, even if she had been of age, he still broke God's law.
He wanted to cover it up.
That was his way of dealing with it.
I believe you are making inferences that the article(s) does not support. And I have no doubt that at some time, be it for a few seconds, minutes or days he either wanted to or wished he could cover it up. But us sitting here in judgement of the man 20 years later on extremely sparse evidence seems, I dunno, kinda creepy.

What we do know:
1. He did it.
2. He apologized at the time and told her not to tell anyone. (you can infer whatever motivation you want from that, but keep in mind it will involve a lot of projection)
3. It came out and he repented, followed by the church letting him go and him going on to live his life.
4. He and she lived their lives for 20+ years.
5. She resurrected it.
6. He responded by re-apologizing for it.

Two things:

1. Number one above is a very common story, as is number 2. I don't question his motives in either. Being a man who spent some time as a young man, I understand. i.e. I can guess his motives in both cases.
2. Number five is NOT a common story. It is actually downright vindictive. I'm missing what she wanted to accomplish. Now, maybe a woman, being a woman, can explain it to me.

Twenty years. I just can't get over that. How many men in their 40's are now waiting for another shoe to drop. Fortunately, for me, they would have to come from at least 40 years ago. Most of them are probably dead now. I guess I dodged THAT bullet.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.