Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have very mixed feelings about this incident. There was no need for the pastor to bring the incident to light. In fact, it leads me to question his motivation for doing this. I am also appalled by the reaction of the congregation.

I agree. It makes me wonder if he actually tried to seek out the woman, instead of going public in a megachurch setting where you know it going to catch attention.

It wouldn't feel right to applaud

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree. It makes me wonder if he actually tried to seek out the woman, instead of going public in a megachurch setting where you know it going to catch attention.

It wouldn't feel right to applaud

Reason was legit because she made it public a few days before he brought it up. Makes sense actually.

Reactions: A71
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Reason was legit because she made it public a few days before he brought it up. Makes sense actually.

Yeah, which is why although Im glad that he is repentant about it, I don't think it was wise the way he approached it. His story didn't only involved him. If I know I have a testimony that I want to share publicly that may include someone else's personal life, I would first consult that person to get some sort of permission or an okay, or make a resolution. That way its not a surprise.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, which is why although Im glad that he is repentant about it, I don't think it was wise the way he approached it. His story didn't only involved him. If I know I have a testimony that I want to share publicly that may include someone else's personal life, I would first consult that person to get some sort of permission or an okay, or make a resolution. That way its not a surprised.

I dont think he mentioned her by name. I think he was vague as possible. That he partook in a sexual in description 20 years ago and nothing more.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I dont think he mentioned her by name. I think he was vague as possible. That he partook in a sexual in description 20 years ago and nothing more.

Yeah, but the person involve in that story knows exactly whom they are referring to, thats the point. The vagueness works for those who don't know her, but not for her, the one that was actually affected.

I'll give a scenario: It would be like me telling my friend, while my sister is around, vaguely that "a certain person used to beat me up or stole a doll from me when I was 5 years old, but I forgive them". Although the friend I'm telling it to would see positive, my sister who is that "certain person", will know that its her, and she's gonna feel a way, especially if I didn't give her a heads up on it.

It probably would have played out differently if he first tried to seek her out and get it resolved.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, which is why although Im glad that he is repentant about it, I don't think it was wise the way he approached it. His story didn't only involved him. If I know I have a testimony that I want to share publicly that may include someone else's personal life, I would first consult that person to get some sort of permission or an okay, or make a resolution. That way its not a surprise.

Yeah, I was talking about this situation to a friend, and they were simply like, "He was dumb to bring it up in a public setting"

Poor choices.

But I guess in the light of the MeToo movement, it may have been a conscious choice to bring it up BEFORE it got spread around...and eventually to the members of HIS congregation (the one he made it public to).

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll give a scenario: It would be like me telling my friend, while my sister is around, vaguely that "a certain person used to beat me up or stole a doll from me when I was 5 years old, but I forgive them". Although the friend I'm telling it to would see positive, my sister who is that "certain person", will know that its her, and she's gonna feel a way, especially if I didn't give her a heads up on it.

Not sure if that would've worked in this situation. He moved states away, years later, and probably had no way of contacting her.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He certainly had her email address. From when she emailed him! :doh:

Yea, but he didn't respond. Who knows if there was a technical glitch and her email wound up in bit heaven. :p

I want to back track though, saying if he did get/read the email, do you think this pastorial debut of the news to his congregation is was triggered by said email? Can't remember the order of the events.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point, right, so if she made it public, why should he got to her first before HE addressed it publicly?

You miss the point. He had to say something to the members of his church, who'd all read the article.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To attempt reconciliation?

I don't think she was interested in reconciliation. Not after writing that article (not to mention reporting him to the police).

And having done some more reading, apparently they were boyfriend/girlfriend before the incident (which is a big "no" for a so-called "youth pastor"), and had had previous physical encounters (another big "no").

So the trauma on her part seems to be at least partly due to a relationship ending in an ugly way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Found this on Andy Savage's website:

A native Memphian, Andy is a graduate of Houston High School and earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing from the University of Memphis, followed by a Master’s Degree in Christian Studies from Union University. Andy began his life in ministry after his freshman year of college, serving first as a Youth Pastor at StoneBridge Church in The Woodlands, Texas and then locally as the Pastor of College students and Young Singles at Germantown Baptist Church.

What I find interesting is, Houston High School, University of Memphis and Union University are all in Tennessee, but StoneBridge Church, where he was a Youth Pastor, was in Texas. I don't know how he could be a college student in Tennessee while at the same time working in Texas as a Youth Pastor...

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Found this on Andy Savage's website:

A native Memphian, Andy is a graduate of Houston High School and earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing from the University of Memphis, followed by a Master’s Degree in Christian Studies from Union University. Andy began his life in ministry after his freshman year of college, serving first as a Youth Pastor at StoneBridge Church in The Woodlands, Texas and then locally as the Pastor of College students and Young Singles at Germantown Baptist Church.

What I find interesting is, Houston High School, University of Memphis and Union University are all in Tennessee, but StoneBridge Church, where he was a Youth Pastor, was in Texas. I don't know how he could be a college student in Tennessee while at the same time working in Texas as a Youth Pastor...

I've been assuming that it happened over the summer break.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many have things such as these in their past. So how does the Christian deal with them. Can be very complicated and heartbreaking.

Repentance is important and can be painful but, I need not take you with me down that road.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.