Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In all my years, I have never had a pastor sign off a letter or email with "regards"

I wrote an email to my former pastor(from my previous church I attended) and he ended
the email with 'regards'
I found it rather cold and unfriendly, perhaps a little unchristian like.

What do you think?

The email was not pertaining to business at all.
I think you are not giving your former pastor much consideration, how was the rest of the email? If that pastor is as busy as most are you should appreciate the fact that you received a return email of any substance, who knows how many things the pastor had on his mind when he concluded that email, regards is a reasonable closing as far as most people are concerned.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it's far more damaging for you to write a post like this that for him to write "regards".

Do you realise Christianity is under fire regularly with accusations that we're judgmental, hypocritical and divided among each other. This is the view of many non-believers, some who frequent these rooms.

So what good do you suppose you do in accusing a brother of being "unchristian like" for closing an email with "regards"? Is it to attract non-believers to the faith or reassure the paranoid to watch their words?

I'm sorry to be short with you. I don't know you or your Pastor. All I'm saying is that I don't think Paul would have ever criticised a leader in Corinth for sending him a letter ending "regards".
Meh... we all do it (unfortunately), Christian or no. Even Paul did it (Acts 23:1ff), and rather forcefully :) - and he had to walk his words back once he realized the context of the situation a little better.

I don't see this question rising to that level, or the level you're suggesting at all.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Threads like this - cause me to be so thankful once again that my husband is not a pastor.

(Stuff like this is what causes marriages to become problemic).

Let's me know theres so many folks in church who need healing "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." Pro 4:23 "An understanding person demonstrates patience, for mercy means holding your tongue. When you are insulted, be quick to forgive and forget it, for you are virtuous when you overlook an offense." Pro 19:11

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In all my years, I have never had a pastor sign off a letter or email with "regards"

I wrote an email to my former pastor(from my previous church I attended) and he ended
the email with 'regards'
I found it rather cold and unfriendly, perhaps a little unchristian like.

What do you think?

The email was not pertaining to business at all.
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. It does not signify a lack of warmth or anything.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't it be more reflective of the peaceable, gracious, loving Christ, whose representative you are, to just ignore a sign-off to an email that you don't like? In the grand scheme of things, how worth your attention is this matter? It seems incredibly insignificant, to me. It's hard to imagine Christ stewing at all over such a very small thing.

Upvote 0