southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve been struggling with forgiving myself for an incident (sin post salvation) four years ago. It involved someone close to me but they were unaware of what I did (nothing illegal or anything of the sort). I’ve asked God repeatedly for forgiveness and I know he has. I know restitution isn’t required for me to be forgiven or even to keep my salvation. What restitution I did provide I keep asking myself (did you do it the right way? No it wasn’t enough. God hasn’t forgiven you. You’re not saved it you don’t do it again). I’m really struggling and I’m thinking it’s OCD combined with guilt. To the point where I’m praying to God saying “forgive me, I need a break. Can I please take some time off from dealing with this sin?”

Is this what it’s like when the Holy Spirit convicts you? Constantly questioning if you’re in right standing with God or not. I’m at a point where I’m just going to forgive myself and move on. not sure if my mental health can take it anymore.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I’ve been struggling with forgiving myself for an incident (sin post salvation) four years ago. It involved someone close to me but they were unaware of what I did (nothing illegal or anything of the sort). I’ve asked God repeatedly for forgiveness and I know he has. I know restitution isn’t required for me to be forgiven or even to keep my salvation. What restitution I did provide I keep asking myself (did you do it the right way? No it wasn’t enough. God hasn’t forgiven you. You’re not saved it you don’t do it again). I’m really struggling and I’m thinking it’s OCD combined with guilt. To the point where I’m praying to God saying “forgive me, I need a break. Can I please take some time off from dealing with this sin?”

Is this what it’s like when the Holy Spirit convicts you? Constantly questioning if you’re in right standing with God or not. I’m at a point where I’m just going to forgive myself and move on. not sure if my mental health can take it anymore.
You've already answered your own question. Don't attribute to the Holy Spirit what your own mind does to you.

Can't blame you for wanting relief. I don't know how to get across to you the liberty there is in understanding that this life --even your own obedience-- is not what this life is all about. It is not about you. It is about Christ!

• Agree
Reactions: Pop D.
Upvote 0

C Johnson

May 21, 2018
southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You've already answered your own question. Don't attribute to the Holy Spirit what your own mind does to you.

Can't blame you for wanting relief. I don't know how to get across to you the liberty there is in understanding that this life --even your own obedience-- is not what this life is all about. It is not about you. It is about Christ!

thank you. For the last four years I’ve been tellin myself just move on but I can’t get out of my own head

• Prayers
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a pastor whom you trust to be a good counsellor? In my tradition, we have the option to make a confession in the presence of a priest, who offers counsel and pronounces to us that God has forgiven us. It can be a spiritually and emotionally helpful experience when a particular sin is troubling, as you're describing.

You probably don't have sacramental confession in your tradition, but if there's a pastor you trust, you might talk to them. In my experience, the act of confessing a sin out loud, and hearing someone acknowledge that it was indeed a sin, but that God forgives me, can be freeing.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,576.00
Faith
Non-Denom

So I have to ask why is it that you question whether you're in right standing with God?

So you ask the Lord what do you think he'd tell you? I'll tell you this he's going to bring back to you his word. He'd probably ask you a question back,

What does my word say about one needing forgiveness? You'd say something like well it states Lord that I have an advocate with the Father, and that if I confess my sin or sins your faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness? 1 John 1:9 And he'd reply So do you believe that I'll keep my word? And when I stated for you to come boldly to the throne of my grace to RECEIVE grace and mercy to help in time of need Heb 4:16 do you think I would kick you back from receiving it?" I'd hope you'd say certainly not and for the very reason he told you to boldly come should tell you he's not interested in you walking around with a spirit of condemnation.

Or here's another thought. Heard this in a sermon years back. A woman came to a Pastor and wasn't sure if God would forgive her. He happened to know her husband wasn't a Christian man oh he was somewhat of a good person but never had received the Lord. So he asked her, "Do you ever need to ask forgiveness from your husband for anything?" She replied, "Sure many, many times. He forgives me and I forgive him!" The Pastor asked do you believe that he does and has forgiven you those many times? She replied with great certainty, "Of course! He loves me and we don't hold anything against each other and that's the way it should be?"

Well the Pastor replied, "So do you know what you just told me? You've just told me you've got MORE FAITH in an unsaved husband then you do in God!" God said in his word he'd do this or that if we confessed our sins and you're suggesting what he says might not have integrity where you can count on it. But with your husband you don't even give it a second thought!" Well she saw the truth of it and her face lit up and she began to rejoice! Well sure if God loves me like none other like his word says he does then if he says he'll forgive me then it's an insult to his good character to question whether he will.

• Friendly
Reactions: C Johnson
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
thank you. For the last four years I’ve been tellin myself just move on but I can’t get out of my own head
1 John 3: "If our conscience condemns us, we know that God is greater than our conscience and that he knows everything." This verse is not really about our conscience even --it is about God.

You seem to be an intelligent enough person to read and follow a line of reasoning. In a way, Romans is one long logical statement. But read particularly Romans 2:15 and its context. "They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them." As the immediate context reads, do not be a law unto yourself. It is God who judges. If you think you can do well enough, you are wrong. EVERY thing you do needs the Grace of God to make righteous. It is not just sins that one commits, but the sin behind the sins is pervasive, but forgiven in those who hunger and thirst after Christ's righteousness.

• Friendly
Reactions: C Johnson
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

No. When the Holy Spirit convicts you, it will be softer yet authoritative, clearer, and not abusive (though sometimes challenging).

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2020
Northeast
✟16,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

God HAS forgiven you if you have acknowledged your wrong-doing and been repentant. God does not ask us to ask for forgiveness over and over again. He does not want you to be imprisoned like that. God wishes for us to be in a state of joy and healing. The gift is up to you to take it. Let it go. Learn from it. Don't repeat the choice. Love and move on. I am praying for you!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

So, this all speaks to a serious misunderstanding you have about the basis upon which God forgives sin and accepts us into His kingdom and family. The ONLY basis upon which God accepts any of us is Jesus Christ. He is The Way, the Narrow Way, and the sole Way to a relationship with God. Why? Because God demands perfect righteousness of those He accepts. He accepts no other standard. None of us is perfectly righteous and will ever be - on our own. But the Good News of salvation is, in part, that, when we trust in Christ as our Saviour and Lord, his perfect righteousness is imputed to us; we are, in a sense, clothed in his righteousness and God, therefore, declares us to be righteous. And because Christ's righteousness is always perfect and always acceptable to God, those who are clothed in his righteousness are always therefore also acceptable to God.

Romans 5:1-2
1 Therefore, having been justified
(made righteous) by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
2 through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.

Romans 5:19-21
19 For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.
20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,
21 so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Galatians 2:16
16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31
30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,
31 so that, just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."

What, then, of those times when one who is accepted by God on this basis is guilty of sin? Does he need to come crawling to God on hands and knees, doing all he can to earn God's forgiveness by self-recrimination and sorrow? Absolutely not! Such a thing is an offense to God, I think; for it implies that the atoning sacrifice of Jesus on the cross for the forgiveness of sin was not enough; more must done to obtain God's forgiveness; the Christian must add his own work of self-condemnation and sorrow to Christ's in order to satisfy God. This is blasphemous thinking, actually. It diminishes what Jesus did on the cross and allows Self to intrude upon his saving work. I believe God hates this sort of thinking as much as He hates the sin that prompted it.

Do you know what the "Principle of Conformity to Focus" is? It's the idea that the more one is focused on a particular thing, the more power that thing has to shape one's thinking and behaviour. Billions of dollars are spent every year by companies around the world on advertising on the basis of this principle.

This principle works in the spiritual realm, too, and is why you never see anywhere in all of Scripture the command to dwell on sin, on one's moral failings, and on things that are wicked and worldly. No one ever became more like Christ by staring at their sin; no one ever became a holy person by obsessing over their wickedness. Instead, God commands us to fix our gaze upon Jesus, not our sin and weakness, and to be absorbed with him. It is not enough to just turn away from your sin; you must turn to the things of God in replacement of your old preoccupation. As you do, you will be transformed by God's Spirit into a person in whom Jesus can be clearly seen.

Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 12:2-3
2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

2 Corinthians 3:18
18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

The conviction of the Holy Spirit moves you toward God in reconciliation; the Holy Spirit convicts you in order to mend your broken fellowship (not relationship) with God.

In contrast, Self, the "old man" Paul wrote of in Romans 6, who is the person you are apart from God, selfish, fleshly and temporal in focus, loads you with guilt, and self-condemnation, and fear, moving your attention away from Christ to yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0