• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Past memories are haunting me years later

Ta_Dah

Jan 3, 2018
Northern Ireland
✟15,424.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Relle,

I understand what you are saying. I use to be tormented with past shame Not so much now I trust God protects us from anything or anyone that would attack us God says Whoever puts thier trUstinov in Him will never be put to shame Satan is tormenting you Trample the lies underfoot

• Friendly
Reactions: Relle25
Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess at this point, I'm just trying to live with the things I did. I'm just really upset at the thought of it and that if people knew, they'd think I'm a sick person.

Or maybe they wouldn’t. How about just saying you were a different person then and now you regret these things but they could help you to get past them by listening and to live happier life now which is after all what matters. Not the past.

Even if somebody thinks you were sick then to do whatever it is still better than getting sick now about just wondering about your past. Confession is at least a closure - whichever way it goes.

Upvote 0

jssceckert

Jan 14, 2018
Milan
✟16,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did sick and twisted things in my childhood and young teen years. I had a hard time letting go of what i had done to my siblings. I had the exact thought of what if people knew and this is the way i dealt with it. I researched the topic. I found out that I was not alone. I found out that what I had done was common."normal" but taboo to talk about. I found out that even though it what i had done was not right, thatif others thought of me differently for it then they would be i the wrong and not me. After God forgives us, and after we forgive ourselves we no longer have to feel sorry for what we did. Yet, others have the right to be angry at us and to confront us if they find out. My advice would be that if a person finds out and starts treating you different, tell them that what you did was wrong and you know it. tell them that you have asked Gd for forgiveness and promised yourself and him that you will not repeat past mistakes. show your sincerity and then tell them that they have to either treat you normal or decide to not be part of your life. No person who truly loves you will hang something you did over your head or even treat you different.

the bible says every single person is capable of the same wickedness and goodness of every single other person. If those people can not forgive you then God will not forgive them from my understanding.

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2018
MidWest
✟10,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm struggling with something like this. I am almost 30 now but I find myself putting myself on trial for things I did when I was 16/17 or even 12/13. Up until a year ago when I suddenly remembered some of this stuff, and even now dig for more, I was fine!

That's the advice I'm trying to take and think you should as well. We were kids. Our parents don't tell us everything and that leaves us to figure it out on our own. Yeah, we know not to kill people and stuff and a young age but ESPECIALLY when it comes to sexual things and whatnot parents don't really tell us much. ( Mine told me pretty much nothing. They were older). I learned from the computer. Saw things I shouldn't have. Looked up things I shouldn't have. I just didn't understand. Looking back I'm disgusted, just like whatever you are looking back on. That's the point I think. Our consciousness evolves. We figure things out. We learn as we grow as men and women. Much of the time through trial and error. The fact that we look back in disgust means we are good people and somewhere along this road of life we figured it out! If we looked back at these times in our lives with pleasure and longing, that would probably be an issue. Again, I struggle with taking this advice because the devil tricks us, but it's most certainly true. I especially appreciate the verse of corinthians someone else posted about when we were children. These things that bug you and I are probably a decade or more in the past. We can't change it. Just leave it behind and press forward to serve Christ.

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0