anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Passion week timeline is so confusing for so many. I have figured that it is because of wrong teachings and ideas about the events surrounding the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread as well as the Day of Atonement. Probably the leading problems for many tacking the subject is not knowing what evening period belongs to which DAY period. Therefore, many conclude a wrong day of events. Additionally, not having proper understanding of the Sabbath days and how the Jews observed them is another major hurdle in determining the sequence of events. Of course it is important to understand the Jewish laws and rituals for aligning them with their prophetic significance as it relates to Christ.

My lessons learned are:

1.) Learn when a Day starts and how the Evening and Morning are applied to the period of a Day.

2.) Understand that when the Sabbath days are in how the Jews kept them.

3.) Understand the Feast Days and Passover and the corresponding rituals.

Knowing these first will allow you to decipher the Passion Week events correctly and shed light on the errors of how it is perceived by the present day majority of Christianity.

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Passion week timeline is so confusing for so many. I have figured that it is because of wrong teachings and ideas about the events surrounding the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread as well as the Day of Atonement. Probably the leading problems for many tacking the subject is not knowing what evening period belongs to which DAY period. Therefore, many conclude a wrong day of events. Additionally, not having proper understanding of the Sabbath days and how the Jews observed them is another major hurdle in determining the sequence of events. Of course it is important to understand the Jewish laws and rituals for aligning them with their prophetic significance as it relates to Christ.
My lessons learned are:
1.) Learn when a Day starts and how the Evening and Morning are applied to the period of a Day.
2.) Understand that when the Sabbath days are in how the Jews kept them.
3.) Understand the Feast Days and Passover and the corresponding rituals.
Knowing these first will allow you to decipher the Passion Week events correctly and shed light on the errors of how it is perceived by the present day majority of Christianity.
You mention "Sabbath days," there was only one Sabbath in passion week, the weekly Sabbath.
Some folks try to make the first day of Unleavened bread a Sabbath. It is not a Sabbath, both 1st and 7th day of unleavened bread are Holy Convocations, all servile work is prohibited but preparing and cooking food is specifically permitted.

Exodus 12:15-16
15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
The 1st and 7th day of ULB are never called Sabbaths in either testament.
All four gospels agree that Jesus was crucified on "parasceue," which means preparation and at the time of Jesus to the present "parasceue" is the Greek name of the day we call "Friday."
The Sabbath requires a preparation days since all work including preparing and cooking food is prohibited. Because preparing and cooking food is permitted on 1st/7th ULB so they do not have or require a preparation day.
We know from Joh 19:14 that the only "parasceue"/preparation day in passion week was the day before the weekly Sabbath and Passover.

John 19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
John 19:16-18
16 Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.
17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is actually a sabbath day during Passion Week. It is the very day which is also the First Day of the Unleavened Bread. The Sabbath can fall on any day of the solar week since it is based on a Lunar Calendar. The Feast of Unleavened Bread (first day of the Feast) always occurs on a Sabbath Day.

Joh_19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

So a Sabbath Day is actually every 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th of every Lunar Month. Passover (preparation Day) was on the 14th of the month and they killed the Passover at evening.

The actual events are:

Day 7 of the month (day 6 of the week) - Triumphal entry
Day 8 of the month (Sabbath Day - Jesus cleanses the Temple).
Day 9 of the month (first day of the Week. Sermon on the mount - At evening the "Last Supper")
Day 10 of the month (2nd day of the week - Jesus brought before Pilate (Jews pick Jesus to be Crucified).
Day 11 - 13 of the Month (Jesus in Custody - 3 Days and 3 Nights in heart of the Earth).
Day 14 of the month (6th day of the week - Jesus is Crucified and dies in the Evening).
Day 15 of the month (1st day of Feast of Unleavened Bread - 7th day of the week - Sabbath - Jesus is in the tomb until just before the New Day starts).
Day 16 of the month (first day of the week - Jesus is now Risen).

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
* * * So a Sabbath Day is actually every 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th of every Lunar Month. Passover (preparation Day) was on the 14th of the month and they killed the Passover at evening. * * *
You have been grossly misinformed.
Here is a link to the Sabbath article in the 1917 Jewish Encyclopedia. Everything you want/need to know about the Jewish Sabbath is in this article. Neither the Old Testament nor the Jewish Encyclopedia says anything about a Sabbath Day every 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th of every Lunar Month

SABBATH - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You have been grossly misinformed.
Here is a link to the Sabbath article in the 1917 Jewish Encyclopedia. Everything you want/need to know about the Jewish Sabbath is in this article. Neither the Old Testament nor the Jewish Encyclopedia says anything about a Sabbath Day every 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th of every Lunar Month

SABBATH - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Trust me, I know the Jews of today think that way. But that is NOT how your Bible Jews observed the Sabbath..

There is no mention in the Bible of a Sabbath even occurring on any other day than the 8th, 15th, 22nd, or 29.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trust me, I know the Jews of today think that way. But that is NOT how your Bible Jews observed the Sabbath..

Again you are grossly misinformed. The source I linked to gives the historical record, with scripture references, NOT what Jews today believe. Had you bothered to read the source you might have known that.

There is no mention in the Bible of a Sabbath even occurring on any other day than the 8th, 15th, 22nd, or 29.
I highly doubt this is true. I think I can say without the slightest concern of contradiction that the Bible does NOT record the lunar date of every Sabbath in the 100s of years of history recorded.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Again you are grossly misinformed. The source I linked to gives the historical record, with scripture references, NOT what Jews today believe. Had you bothered to read the source you might have known that.

I highly doubt this is true. I think I can say without the slightest concern of contradiction that the Bible does NOT record the lunar date of every Sabbath in the 100s of years of history recorded.

I didn't see any questions for me in what you posted. So not sure if you were expecting a different response. So obviously believe I'm incorrect, I obviously believe I'm correct. We can let it go at that.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't see any questions for me in what you posted. So not sure if you were expecting a different response. So obviously believe I'm incorrect, I obviously believe I'm correct. We can let it go at that.
When one posts a quote and a link to further information on a topic it would be nice for the person to whom the post is addressed to review that historical information before replying with more of their unsupported opinion. Don't bother responding to this.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the way, if anyone else believes the Sabbath is not based on the moon, you can go to this site and contact the author and show him your evidence as he has a $10,000 prize for anyone that can:

Home
As I said I am positive that every weekly Sabbath that occurred between Genesis 1:1 and Malachi 4:6 is not recorded in the OT so to prove/disprove the premise is impossible.
If the premises in this post were true it defies credulity that as dedicated as the Jews were to studying Tenakh that a Jewish scholar would have discovered this centuries before now rather than 100s of years later a non-Jew who probably couldn't locate a Hebrew verb if their life depended on it.
And FYI as my Hebrew Prof once said "locate a Hebrew verb" does not mean open the Hebrew Old Testament point and say here it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Deu_5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Notice that here the Sabbath day is associated with the Feast of Unleavened Bread - the very day they began leaving Egypt. This was the 15th of the First month.

Now in the 2nd Month on the 15 of the Month was a Sabbath again, then after this the manna began to fall.

So if you use a Solar calendar - How did you get a Sabbath to fall on the 15th of the month?

S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
First month - 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2*
Second month - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

You see it doesn't work.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is actually a sabbath day during Passion Week. It is the very day which is also the First Day of the Unleavened Bread. The Sabbath can fall on any day of the solar week since it is based on a Lunar Calendar. The Feast of Unleavened Bread (first day of the Feast) always occurs on a Sabbath Day.

Joh_19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

So a Sabbath Day is actually every 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th of every Lunar Month. Passover (preparation Day) was on the 14th of the month and they killed the Passover at evening.

The actual events are:

Day 7 of the month (day 6 of the week) - Triumphal entry
Day 8 of the month (Sabbath Day - Jesus cleanses the Temple).
Day 9 of the month (first day of the Week. Sermon on the mount - At evening the "Last Supper")
Day 10 of the month (2nd day of the week - Jesus brought before Pilate (Jews pick Jesus to be Crucified).
Day 11 - 13 of the Month (Jesus in Custody - 3 Days and 3 Nights in heart of the Earth).
Day 14 of the month (6th day of the week - Jesus is Crucified and dies in the Evening).
Day 15 of the month (1st day of Feast of Unleavened Bread - 7th day of the week - Sabbath - Jesus is in the tomb until just before the New Day starts).
Day 16 of the month (first day of the week - Jesus is now Risen).
Do you see anything wrong with the order of these events?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Deu_5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.
Notice that here the Sabbath day is associated with the Feast of Unleavened Bread - the very day they began leaving Egypt. This was the 15th of the First month.
Now in the 2nd Month on the 15 of the Month was a Sabbath again, then after this the manna began to fall.
So if you use a Solar calendar - How did you get a Sabbath to fall on the 15th of the month?
S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
First month - 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2*
Second month - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

You see it doesn't work
Last night I was involved in something not related to CF and a bit of related knowledge I once learned suddenly popped into my aging brain, Intercalary days.
The lunar cycle is not exactly 29 days it is 29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes 3 seconds.
That means every two lunar months there are 24 hours leftover. What happens to those extra hours? We can't just ignore them.

In the Torah, the months are numbered; the first is the one in which the Exodus from Egypt occurred (Yetziat Mitzrayim; cf. Shemot [Exodus] 12:2). Later, names of Babylonian origin were adopted:

• ניסן — Nisan — (30 days)
    • אייר — Iyyar — (29 days)
    • סיון — Sivan — (30 days)
    • תמוז — Tammuz — (29 days)
    • אב — Av — (30 days)
    • אלול — Elul — (29 days)
    • תשרי — Tishri — (30 days)
    • חשון — Cheshvan — (29 or 30 days)
    • כסלו — Kislev — (30 or 29 days)
    • טבת — Tevet — (29 days)
    • שבט — Sh'vat — (30 days)
    • אדר — Adar — (29 days)
Introduction to Jewish Calendar
From a different Jewish source.
To synchronize the lunar counting of days with the solar cycle, the Hebrew calendar includes leap years wherein the month of Adar is replaced by two months, Adar Alef and Adar Beit ('אדר א' ואדר ב). Thus, a leap year in the Hebrew calendar includes 13 months.
The timing of the leap years is calculated with a periodicity of 19 years. In 19 years, the total difference between the lunar and solar cycles is 19 x 10.88292 = 206.77548 days. This difference amounts to about seven 30 day periods (206.77548 / 7 = 6.892516). The number 19 cannot be divided evenly by 7. So the Hebrew sages decided that leap year will be declared on the following years of a 19 year period: 3, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, and 19. The addition of seven 30 day months results in a further difference of 3 days (210-207=3) every 19 year cycle. To make up for this difference, 3 days are added on the months of Cheshvan and Kislev at each 19 year period.
Hebrew Calendar
Please feel free to consult any credible, verifiable source which refutes these.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Last night I was involved in something not related to CF and a bit of related knowledge I once learned suddenly popped into y aging brain.
Intercalary days.
The lunar cycle is not exactly 29 days it is 29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes 3 seconds.
That means every two lunar months there are 24 hours leftover. What happens to those extra hours? We can't just ignore them.

In the Torah, the months are numbered; the first is the one in which the Exodus from Egypt occurred (Yetziat Mitzrayim; cf. Shemot [Exodus] 12:2). Later, names of Babylonian origin were adopted:

• ניסן — Nisan — (30 days)
    • אייר — Iyyar — (29 days)
    • סיון — Sivan — (30 days)
    • תמוז — Tammuz — (29 days)
    • אב — Av — (30 days)
    • אלול — Elul — (29 days)
    • תשרי — Tishri — (30 days)
    • חשון — Cheshvan — (29 or 30 days)
    • כסלו — Kislev — (30 or 29 days)
    • טבת — Tevet — (29 days)
    • שבט — Sh'vat — (30 days)
    • אדר — Adar — (29 days)
Introduction to Jewish Calendar
From a different Jewish source.
To synchronize the lunar counting of days with the solar cycle, the Hebrew calendar includes leap years wherein the month of Adar is replaced by two months, Adar Alef and Adar Beit ('אדר א' ואדר ב). Thus, a leap year in the Hebrew calendar includes 13 months.
The timing of the leap years is calculated with a periodicity of 19 years. In 19 years, the total difference between the lunar and solar cycles is 19 x 10.88292 = 206.77548 days. This difference amounts to about seven 30 day periods (206.77548 / 7 = 6.892516). The number 19 cannot be divided evenly by 7. So the Hebrew sages decided that leap year will be declared on the following years of a 19 year period: 3, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, and 19. The addition of seven 30 day months results in a further difference of 3 days (210-207=3) every 19 year cycle. To make up for this difference, 3 days are added on the months of Cheshvan and Kislev at each 19 year period.
Hebrew Calendar
Please feel free to consult any credible, verifiable source which refutes these.

That is not new information for me. However, it's just not credible in justifying a solar weekday such as Friday or Saturday as a Sabbath day in light of the Biblical accounts.

Exo 12:2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.

So based on the information you provided above 3 days is not 5 days which is how far you are off in trying to align the 19 year Jewish cycle with the actual account recorded in the Bible. Furthermore, it was the beginning of months so the leap year days would have been added as 30 or 3 per the information you provided so none of those would like up the account recorded. I didn't yet even mention that the 3rd month is also a Sabbath on the 15th.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is not new information for me. However, it's just not credible in justifying a solar weekday such as Friday or Saturday as a Sabbath day in light of the Biblical accounts.
Exo 12:2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.
So based on the information you provided above 3 days is not 5 days which is how far you are off in trying to align the 19 year Jewish cycle with the actual account recorded in the Bible. Furthermore, it was the beginning of months so the leap year days would have been added as 30 or 3 per the information you provided so none of those would like up the account recorded. I didn't yet even mention that the 3rd month is also a Sabbath on the 15th.
Nonsense!
Your theory that weekly Sabbaths will always fall on the 1st, 8th, 15th and 29th of every month cannot work.
Let's look at ניסן —
Nisan — (30 days) the first month in the Jewish calendar.
If Sabbath always falls on the 29th day your false theory requires that the next Sabbath be 2 days later the 1st of אייר — Iyyar — (29 days)
There cannot be two weekly Sabbaths 2 days apart.
Look at אייר — Iyyar — (29 days) the second month in the Jewish calendar.
If the 29th is a Sabbath the 1st day of the following month cannot be a Sabbath. There cannot be two weekly Sabbaths back to back.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nonsense!
Your theory that weekly Sabbaths will always fall on the 1st, 8th, 15th and 29th of every month cannot work.
Let's look at ניסן —
Nisan — (30 days) the first month in the Jewish calendar.
If Sabbath always falls on the 29th day your false theory requires that the next Sabbath be 2 days later the 1st of אייר — Iyyar — (29 days)
There cannot be two weekly Sabbaths 2 days apart.
Look at אייר — Iyyar — (29 days) the second month in the Jewish calendar.
If the 29th is a Sabbath the 1st day of the following month cannot be a Sabbath. There cannot be two weekly Sabbaths back to back.

That is incorrect, if the Sabbath falls on 29th of the month, the next Sabbath is in the 8th of the next month. It is simple,

Every phase of the moon is a sabbath - Quarter phase, Full Moon, Last Quarter and the Last Sliver of light.

The meat offering is offered on the Sabbath Day, but it also offered on the Feast Day of Unleavened Bread because very Feast Day of Unleavened Bread is a Sabbath.

Notice Feast of Tabernacles:
Lev 23:39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is incorrect, if the Sabbath falls on 29th of the month, the next Sabbath is in the 8th of the next month. It is simple,
Every phase of the moon is a sabbath - Quarter phase, Full Moon, Last Quarter and the Last Sliver of light.
The meat offering is offered on the Sabbath Day, but it also offered on the Feast Day of Unleavened Bread because very Feast Day of Unleavened Bread is a Sabbath.
Notice Feast of Tabernacles:
Lev 23:39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.
In a month which has 30 days if the Sabbath falls on the 29th according to you the next Sabbath should be on the 8th. Sat Sabbath,[29] Sun[30], Mon[1], Tue[2], Wed[3], Thur[4], Fri[5], Sat[6] , not 8
A month with 29 days Sat Sabbath,[29] Sun[1], Mon[2], Tue[3], Wed[4], Thur[5], Fri[6], Sat[7] not 8!
First and seventh days of Unleavened bread are never called a Sabbath in either testament.
Preparing and cooking food on the Sabbath is prohibited. Because of that the day before the Sabbath is preparation day. Food is prepared and cooked prior to the Sabbath.
"Parasceue"/preparation was at the time of Jesus to the present the name of the day before the Sabbath.
Preparing and cooking food is specifically permitted on 1st and 7th ULB

15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
16 And in the first day there shall be to you a holy convocation, and in the seventh day a holy convocation; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done by you.
Since preparing/cooking food is specifically permitted on 1st/7th ULB no preparation is required.

Upvote 0

cfposter

Apr 9, 2021
anytown
✟21,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In a month which has 30 days if the Sabbath falls on the 29th according to you the next Sabbath should be on the 8th. Sat Sabbath,[29] Sun[30], Mon[1], Tue[2], Wed[3], Thur[4], Fri[5], Sat[6] , not 8
A month with 29 days Sat Sabbath,[29] Sun[1], Mon[2], Tue[3], Wed[4], Thur[5], Fri[6], Sat[7] not 8!
First and seventh days of Unleavened bread are never called a Sabbath in either testament.
Preparing and cooking food on the Sabbath is prohibited. Because of that the day before the Sabbath is preparation day. Food is prepared and cooked prior to the Sabbath.
"Parasceue"/preparation was at the time of Jesus to the present the name of the day before the Sabbath.
Preparing and cooking food is specifically permitted on 1st and 7th ULB

16 And in the first day there shall be to you a holy convocation, and in the seventh day a holy convocation; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done by you.
Since preparing/cooking food is specifically permitted on 1st/7th ULB no preparation is required.

That is incorrect. Their calendar in the Bible is a Lunar Calendar so it would be like this:

Lunar month 1 (day 29 - Sabbath)
Lunar Month 2 (day 8 - Sabbath)

Every Lunar month has 29 days.

It goes New moon (then first week, 2nd week, 3rd week, 4th week.)
So the second day of a month is the 1st day of the lunar week.

Upvote 0