Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just thought I'd make mention of the Passion movement... these guys are among the best worship leaders about, and IMO are now at the forefront of congregational worship songwriting... songs like How Great Is Our God, We Fall Down, Forever, Here Is Our King, Grace Flows Down, You Are My King, Wonderful Cross - gee whiz, there is a heck of a lot of good music from these guys!

Fave Passion song, too guys, feel free to pick one... or three.. or seven!!

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thank you misdeavious, that's very kind of you... and yes they are excellent.

A little background if anyone is unaware, Passion is from the United States. They are not actually a band, they are like youth alive a bit... a youth movement... but where YA is more geared to saving the lost, Passion is all about that but is more intent on equipping the church... the young church. People still get saved at their events, they do concerts, they have done conferences, and they have had two amazing weekend gatherings in the middle of nowhere, called OneDay (it's actually a massive youth camp, it is thought 35,000 attended in 2000, and about 30,000 in 2003). So what's the deal with the music then? Passion involves about six bands... but there are three major ones: Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall and the David Crowder Band... these guys are all very different in their sound but unified in heart, and you'll discover that upon listening.
but other artists who have featured on passion albums include Matt Redman, Christy Nockels and Shane&Shane (two guys calle Shane, who can really belt out a song!)...

I reckon you may be aware of at least one song of theirs, and I know that because during Hillsong Conference, it got played so many times, brian even sang it from the pulpit one morning... it's called "How Great Is Our God', chorus goes

How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God, and all will see
How great, how great is our God

This is a modern take on the old hymn How Great Thou Art... this was all Chris Tomlin had, so he was going to record How Great Thou Art and then throw this chorus on the end of it... but then verses and bridge were born... This song is so anointed, I tell you!

Back on Passion as a whole... I'm sure the Hillsong bookshop sells their stuff, although it may be hard to find because there is so much Hillsong stuff and the emphasis is their stuff... but it should be there.. if not, I know for a fact Koorong bookstore (Ryde or Penrith) will sell them. Three albums in particular I would recommend:

OneDay - recorded in 2000, it's a recording of that camp I mentioned, the cover is a field and overcast skies, with a guy on his knees... actually, better yet, the DVD is really worth watching...
Our Love Is Loud - this was recorded during a tour of America which began September 11, 2001 - yes you read that right... and it's a great snapshot of a nation in mourning but rising up to praise God. Released '02, silver cover
How Great Is Our God - this is the best worship album this year IMO... title track is worth the purchase price but if you like hymns there is an incredible version of It Is Well With My Soul on the end of it. God's presence is big on this album... it's white and dark aqua, recorded just after the tsunami during the Passion Conference.

Upvote 0

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ok, so i admit, there is a lot of hillsong stuff at their resource centre...but thats kinda expected, being hillsong church and all...but they do have about half hillsong stuff and half of other cds...they should most probably have passion stuff. i just haven't really looked for it...

i totally love the chorus and bridge of 'how great is our God' but i'm not too keen on the verses...what the lyrics say are ok, but i find the tune is rather repetitive, and the words don't seem to do it for me in song form...maybe it's just me, but i kinda tune out in the verses...

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
misdeavious said:
ok, so i admit, there is a lot of hillsong stuff at their resource centre...but thats kinda expected, being hillsong church and all...but they do have about half hillsong stuff and half of other cds...they should most probably have passion stuff. i just haven't really looked for it....
Totally understand that, I was just making the point that it may not be the easiest to find for that very reason. It's their church, I wouldn't expect anything else... it's the same the world over I would guess...

Can't remember what I was doing there but I think my fiancee and I went to the bookshop one Sunday - after our church service finished we drove up there. Ah yes, to get colour conference tapes... and I recall just browsing and it took me about seven or eight minutes scouring the CD's to find Third Day! So I know what it would be like to search for their CDs, but I would imagine they'd be there... if not, as I said I know for sure Koorong has them.

misdeavious said:
i totally love the chorus and bridge of 'how great is our God' but i'm not too keen on the verses...what the lyrics say are ok, but i find the tune is rather repetitive, and the words don't seem to do it for me in song form...maybe it's just me, but i kinda tune out in the verses...
Heh... just goes to show these things are really subjective... personally I love the verses.. it's a matter of taste and what you're used to... I come from a church that has sung both modern stuff and the hymns of old and this one song is a wonderful blend of both... especially the second verse "age to age he stands, time is in his hands, beginning and end..." but hey, not for everyone... :)

misdeavious said:
i just read the 35,000! wow! how some i've never heard of this before?!
Go to 268generation.com and you'll get more of a feel of what these guys are doing in the States... but in my opinion getting the DVD or video of either OneDay Live (2000) or the Sacred Revolution (OneDay 03) will give you the best idea of what went on. You could try googling oneday passion, I got a few results but couldn't be bothered sifting thru it all... he he

One reason you may not be aware of their existence is because they don't make a big point of making themselves famous... I mean, sure Tomlin, Hall and Crowder are all in their own right selling loads of CDs but with respect to the movement they emphasise their role is to equip, and then to take it back into the local church and your own world and go hard for God. the three bands lead worship at three different churches, and those churches are never "plugged" by the guys at passion, because their view is to give all glory to God, and not to a man, not to a church but the whole church unified in bringing all praise, credit, glory etc to GOD, and they have interpreted that to mean that they will promote themselves solely for the glory of God... and no more than that. The main pastor, Louie Giglio once described the Passion tour of '01 like a wind, and people would sort of say, hey that was great, God really touched me... but then Passion was gone before people would get up and follow them... rather than spend time chasing Passion and using them to be discipled, Passion believes in people relying on God first, and then their existing church and support network. Their mission statement is pretty much Isaiah 26:8

"Yes Lord, walking in the way of Your truth we wait eagerly for You, for Your name and renown are the desire of our souls."

Upvote 0

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"age to age he stands, time is in his hands, beginning and end..."

that's my favourite part of the verses too...reminds me of my favourite ever bible verse - Psalm 45:3 i think...'you hem me in; behind and before, you have laid your hand upon me'

i've been going to hillsong about 4 months now. but my last Church was Riverstone baptist and we sang a mix of stuff there too. i love some of the songs we sang there and kinda miss singing and playing them at church...but i have cds...

oh yeah, and i found something interesting. I was looking through my cds for your other thread and found 'I could sing of your love forever - 25 modern worship songs for a new generation' (you didn't really need all of that) and i found that...6 of them are by passion. Would that be the same ones?

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
ha ha I didn't need all of that, but that's cool :D

Same passion... um, yeah those songs are off previous recordings... one of my all-time faves is We Fall Down, that was re-recorded at OneDay Live, as was Better Is One Day. Those passion recordings are great, I have them both... I think i might have every passion album, eesh... but I recommened the newer ones since the sound is a bit fresher... but even those old ones have great songs on them. but yes same passion... maybe a few different musos but nonetheless same thing we're talking about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWorship

Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟10,237.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Coolies... that's a good one. On the album that song was recorded on, they re-recorded I Will Exalt Your Name - with lots more distortion etc... and then looped over the top some snippets of the talks during the Passion conference, and packaged it as a three minute hidden track... it is great listening.

Upvote 0