Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What are the pitfalls in this parts list I compiled for a mini gaming computer that runs Linux?

Screenshot_2017-11-25-17-51-10-1.png

I suppose I owe a friend of mine some credit for helping me with computer parts suggestions as well. Thank you!

The total amount of RAM on this parts list is 8GB.

Monitor at 1366x768 or 1600x900 resolution for now.

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't seem like much.

I know. But with RAM so expensive, do I really need to pay $70-$80 more for something that often won't make as much difference as spending the extra money on the video card? :)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know. But with RAM so expensive, do I really need to pay $70-$80 more for something that often won't make as much difference as spending the extra money on the video card? :)

Good point, but I'd check with another machine running the same games to see what RAM usage is like.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,639.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
What's the price difference between a Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 5 1400? They're both quad cores, but the 1300X is faster than the 1400. The only difference is Ryzen 3 isn't dual threaded. But for this purpose, having faster single core performance is going to be more important than having the extra cores (especially since a lot of games don't use more than 4 cores).

That said, if the 1400 is cheaper than the 1300X you may as well stick with that.

The only other suggestion is if you can justify adding even a small SSD in there to install Linux on. It can make a huge difference, even if you only have one or two games on there.

Doesn't seem like much.

Good point, but I'd check with another machine running the same games to see what RAM usage is like.

It doesn't seem like much, but it's enough. There are very few games that use much more than this at the moment, and very few of those have Linux support. But the beauty of RAM is if you do reach the point where it's not enough, it's generally pretty easy to upgrade (and usually at that stage it's dropped in price).

Upvote 0