Part 2 - The Creator has Invalidated Knowing Earth's Age Through Scientific Enquiry

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,660.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Whitewash. Make it look and produce something you choose it to appear.

Interpretation is at the heart of the problem of Natural Man using science. Mis-use of science, by his corrupt nature be the means.

And it is all Chit-chat by Earthly man. No power from above revelation.

Chit-chat production it be. Lost touch of the real is the cost.

Jesus did say Rivers of Living Water will flow from within to those who turn to walk after Him, to be His disciples.

Earthly people produce and only attain what is Earthly.

The chasm is huge between the two ways of being informed.
Do you also write in Standard English? You know, with proper grammar and a logic flow. That sort of thing. Or are you channeling James Joyce?

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you also write in Standard English? You know, with proper grammar and a logic flow. That sort of thing. Or are you channeling James Joyce?

"Channeling James Joyce" FTW! LOL!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would say that 99.99% is a falsehood (if it were that high, then might as well say 100%).

"Might as well," doesn't cut it in mathematics. 99.99 =/= 100.

Besides, scientists are always ready for the possibility, no matter how remote, of error. "99.99%" simply means that while it is possible, you had better be darn sure about your new evidence to disprove the old evidence.

I would also say that with certainty, all the dates being quoted are inaccurate and are just guesses.

And you would say that, with 100% certainty, based on.... what?

To say that the earth is older than Usshers chronology is one thing, but how much older? If you can answer that (with certainty or 99.99% which would be good enough) and be able to prove it, well then you might have something.

You might start here -- but bear in mind this is only the simplified version:

The Age of the Earth

But regardless, the Bible doesn't give any dates, so I'm afraid it has you beat on that. No inaccuracies there.

True -- when you say nothing, you can't ever be wrong.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would say that 99.99% is a falsehood (if it were that high, then might as well say 100%). I would also say that with certainty, all the dates being quoted are inaccurate and are just guesses. To say that the earth is older than Usshers chronology is one thing, but how much older?

This is like saying the number of grains of sand on the world's beaches is higher than the number of fingers on your hands, but since we don't know the exact number of grains of sand there are we simply can't say how much more.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is like saying the number of grains of sand on the world's beaches is higher than the number of fingers on your hands, but since we don't know the exact number of grains of sand there are we simply can't say how much more.

And since you never said how many fingers you had, you can't be wrong!

Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For those who don't believe in miracles (and those who do):

This was necessary in order to preserve end times prophecy.

Unlikely military victories are miracles now?

Does this work for the God of Abraham alone? What about the kamikaze saving Japan, the Mongol's victory at Huan'erzui and the Battle of Badr. Are these also miraculous?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I'm not familiar with the details of those wars. Did those only last six days and were the victors outnumbered by such a wide margin? And were they digging their own graves prior since their chances for survival were so slim?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know. I'm not familiar with the details of those wars. Did those only last six days and were the victors outnumbered by such a wide margin? And were they digging their own graves prior since their chances for survival were so slim?

Are those the specific quantifiers for a "miracle"?

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You tell me. What's your definition? Oh that's right. You don't have any since they don't exist, lol.

mir·a·cle (google)
ˈmirək(ə)l/
noun
  1. a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.
    "the miracle of rising from the grave"
    synonyms: wonder, marvel, sensation, phenomenon, supernatural phenomenon, mystery
    "his recovery was a blessed miracle"
    • a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.
      "it was a miracle that more people hadn't been killed or injured"
    • an amazing product or achievement, or an outstanding example of something.
      "a machine which was a miracle of design"
      synonyms: wonder, marvel, sensation, phenomenon, supernatural phenomenon, mystery

• At least this is the definition for most of us

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You tell me. What's your definition? Oh that's right. You don't have any since they don't exist, lol.

Miracle -- an act in which the natural laws of the universe are temporarily suspended and/or set aside.

I can define "unicorn," too -- even though those don't exist either.

mir·a·cle (google)
ˈmirək(ə)l/
noun
  1. a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.
    "the miracle of rising from the grave"
    • a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.
      "it was a miracle that more people hadn't been killed or injured"
    • an amazing product or achievement, or an outstanding example of something.
      "a machine which was a miracle of design"

• At least this is the definition for most of us

If I wanted Google's definition, I'd have googled it myself. Apparently you, who believe in miracles, are the one without a definition to call your own.

Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're welcome to take your pick. I'm good with any of them. And BTW, do you yhave any documented evidence and video of any of your "unicorns"? You want some more videos of the 6 day war or eyewitness testimonies of what transpired? There's plenty of them.

miracle (merriam-webster)noun mir·a·cle \ ˈmir-i-kəl \
Examples: miracle in a Sentence
  • manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
    • the healingmiracles described in the Gospels
    2:an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment
    • The bridge is amiracle of engineering.
    :a divinely natural phenomenon experienced humanly as the fulfillment of spiritual law
  • noun (dictionary.com)
    an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpassesall known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernaturalcause.
    such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
    a wonder; marvel.
    a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality:
    a miracle of modern acoustics.
    5.miracle play.

• miraclenoun [ C ] Cambridge English Dictionary
    US /ˈmɪr·ə·kəl/
    unusual and mysterious event that is thought to have been caused by God

surprising and unexpected event:

[ + (that) clause ] It’s a miracle (that) he wasn’t killed in that car crash.
miracle - oxford Dictionary
NOUN
  • 1An extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.
    ‘the miracle of rising from the grave’
    1. 1.1 A remarkable event or development that brings very welcome consequences.
      ‘it was a miracle that more people hadn't been killed’
      ‘industries at the heart of the economic miracle’
    2. 1.2 An exceptional product or achievement, or an outstanding example of something.
      ‘a machine which was a miracle of design’
      as modifier ‘a miracle drug’
    3. miracle (Webstters New World Dictionary)
    1. an event or action that apparently contradicts known scientific laws and is hence thought to be due to supernatural causes, esp. to an act of God
    1. a remarkable event or thing; marvel
    2. a wonderful example: a miracle of tact
    3. miracle play
    Origin of miracle
    Old French from Classical Latin miraculum, a strange thing, in LL(Ec), miracle from mirari, to wonder at from mirus, wonderful from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)mei-, to smile
    Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fifth Edition Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

noun
    1. An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God.
    2. One that excites admiring awe; a wonderful or amazing event, act, person, or thing. See Synonyms at wonder.
    3. A miracle play.
    Origin of miracle
    Middle English from Old French from Latin mīrāculum from mīrārī to wonder at from mīrus wonderful ; see smei- in Indo-European roots.

THE AMERICAN HERITAGE® DICTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, FIFTH EDITION by the Editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries. Copyright © 2016, 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
    image: http://cf.ydcdn.net/1.0.1.81/images/dictionaries/Wiktionary-logo.png
    [URL='http://wiktionary.yourdictionary.com/']
    [/URL]
    Noun
    (plural miracles)

1. A wonderful event occurring in the physical world attributed to supernatural powers.
      Many religious beliefs are based on miracles.
      An example of a miracle associated with Muhammad is the splitting of the moon.
    2. A fortunate outcome that prevails despite overwhelming odds against it.
    3. An awesome and exceptional example of something
    Anagrams
    Origin
    From Old French miracle, from Latin mÄ«rāculum (“object of wonder"), from mÄ«ror (“to wonder at"), from mÄ«rus (“wonderful"), from Proto-Indo-European *smei-, *mei- (“to smile, to be astonished").

Read more at Miracle dictionary definition | miracle defined

Upvote 0