✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Giacinta

If you are going to put up opinion pieces like this there is an obligation on you to provide the source and (if you are able) a link to the online version. Pictures of a crumpled piece of paper with no indication of the original publication, its author and date of publication are not exactly convincing.

Judging from the headline and the cartoon, it comes from a religious publication. Based on the style and emotive language used, it's a publication on the outer fringes of legitimate journalism.

Pell may well succeed in his appeal but articles like this amount appeals to the tribe - not evidence of innocence.
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Giacinta

Jul 12, 2015
✟18,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Giacinta

If you are going to put up opinion pieces like this there is an obligation on you to provide the source and (if you are able) a link to the online version. Pictures of a crumpled piece of paper with no indication of the original publication, its author and date of publication are not exactly convincing.

Judging from the headline and the cartoon, it comes from a religious publication. Based on the style and emotive language used, it's a publication on the outer fringes of legitimate journalism.

Pell may well succeed in his appeal but articles like this amount appeals to the tribe - not evidence of innocence.
OB

Don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is an appallingly irresponsible thing to put in a parish bulletin. The message it sends to its community is, "If you come forward with disclosures of abuse, we will not believe you and will side with the abuser."

That's the last thing churches should be saying to their communities.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Giacinta

Jul 12, 2015
✟18,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is an appallingly irresponsible thing to put in a parish bulletin. The message it sends to its community is, "If you come forward with disclosures of abuse, we will not believe you and will side with the abuser."

That's the last thing churches should be saying to their communities.

What are you talking about??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your parish priest cannot have examined the evidence, as not all of it has been made available to the public.

Cardinal Pell has been found guilty. I stand by my comment that for a parish bulletin to publish this is appallingly irresponsible, not least because of its (un)pastoral impact.

Upvote 0

Giacinta

Jul 12, 2015
✟18,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your parish priest cannot have examined the evidence, as not all of it has been made available to the public.

Cardinal Pell has been found guilty. I stand by my comment that for a parish bulletin to publish this is appallingly irresponsible, not least because of its (un)pastoral impact.

What?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, "everybody" doesn't know that. Some sections of the community are echoing that claim.

I am quite well informed on the case.

I am also very well aware of the effects it has had on the wider public. The number of disclosures of abuse I've received over the last few weeks has been far higher than at any other time in my ministry. People's trauma has been badly impacted by this news and the way it has been reported and commented on.

I maintain: for a church to suggest, in its public communications, that it disbelieves disclosures of abuse, is a very damaging position to take.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You don't know what you are talking about.
If our parish priest clearly knows Cardinal Pell is guilty, then he is irresponsible when he published such article in the bulletin.

But the fact is our parish priest doesn't believe the cardinal is guilty after examining the evidences. So he is justified when he published such article.

Moreover, what's mentioned in the article are just facts.

NONE of the people commenting on the Pell trial heard the victim testify (including a day of cross examination). I know this because, when the victim testified, the court was cleared apart from the judge, jury and court officials.

FEW of those commenting actually attended the trial. Was your priest there? If not, where did his "evidences" come from.

Your parish priest has decided Pell is innocent based on second or third or fourth hand information from (probably) biased sources. He has NOT "examined the evidences" and most of his argument is based on allegations not relevant to the case.

Whether Pell is guilty or innocent I am appalled that a priest would publish something like this.
OB

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see you've edited your OP. Our comments were on topic in discussing a document provided when you posted it.

I am sure there is a level of corruption in the police, as in any large institution. That is not a reason to declare Cardinal Pell innocent.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
What parish priest??
I never said it was written by my parish priest. Don't deviate from the topic -- Victorian police and their corruption. Why the two of you are constantly trying to distract people?

If you go back to my post #9 you'll find this quote automatically copied from your original post#5 before you edited it. The bolding is mine;

"Giacinta said:
You don't know what you are talking about.
If our parish priest clearly knows Cardinal Pell is guilty, then he is irresponsible when he published such article in the bulletin.

But the fact is our parish priest doesn't believe the cardinal is guilty after examining the evidences. So he is justified when he published such article."

You'll notice that you have twice confirmed that the article was published by your parish priest.
OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Don't know what you're talking about.

You've obviously edited out the image file posted in the original version of the OP. If you look at my post#2 you'll see it indicates that there was an attachment to your OP which has since mysteriously disappeared. Another silly attempt to rewrite history?

The first rule of hole digging is;
"Stop when you get to the bottom"
OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums