• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

parents with adopted children

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by mama2one, Oct 18, 2020.

1. mama2one

mama2one Well-Known Member

+7,615
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    how did you help your preteen/teen deal with identity & all the unknowns that come with adoption?

we started to watch a movie which had people in it from the country where preteen was born & the movie triggered lots of feelings

asked preteen "would you like to talk with a counsellor" & got strong no

any help/tips would be appreciated

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Franki(ncense)

Franki(ncense) You will never walk alone. In Him we are fruitful. Supporter

+880
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Just guessing!! If their biological parents are still alive, it will help them a great deal, if they can get to meet with them, because closure is needed. Finding and interacting with, any family member who new their parents and other relatives is also important too.

3. mama2one

+7,615
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    thanks for your input @Franki(ncense)

however, there is no info on birthparents/family
    no way to find out

that is what preteen is struggling with mostly
    the blank slate- everything is unknown

4. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,506
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    My aunt was raped in her teens. She put her baby up for adoption. The baby girl grew up and contacted my dad wanting more information about the family. My aunt was divorced at the time, emotionally distressed, had two more children from her failed marriage and was unable to help.

Many lonely people may need to search for Jesus to guide them. Adopted children should get guidance from their adopting parents, teachers and friends too. They should be taught the value of hard work and study.

5. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,189
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I worked with a young man who told me he was adopted.
    His reaction to the question about his natural parents was simple.
    His parents were the ones who had brought him up. He had no interest in who had given birth to him and had given him up.

All I can suggest is to be open and honest with questions.
    To stress your love for them.

6. Franki(ncense)

Franki(ncense) You will never walk alone. In Him we are fruitful. Supporter

+880
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Owh! Looks like we got a bit of a problem..

7. mama2one

+7,615
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    our preteen does say she loves us & she knows we love her
    however, she said this week "it's not fair you both know your birthparents, grandparents, siblings"

not knowing is difficult!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  8. mama2one

+7,615
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    any parents who've adopted who can give advice on adoption unknowns/identity?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  9. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,189
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    All I can suggest is join with her in finding out, but also to talk about how will she feel if she learns her birth mother has other children living with her?
    Finding out about relatives may be exciting, and may result in an extended family in addition to the one she has now.
    It is you role to point out the pitfalls and take the sulks/screams etc

10. mama2one

+7,615
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    no parents who have adopted on CF anymore?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020