The Wild West
✟472,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This is the main canon for the Small Paraklesis services that are held in the first two weeks of August for the Dormition of the Theotokos, sung by the group Eikonia.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a Paraklesis is what the Russians call a Moleben?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,020,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Correct me if I am wrong, but a Paraklesis is what the Russians call a Moleben?
Sort of. The moleben is a service of supplication, while the paraklesis is a canon of supplication. The moleben contains an abbreviated canon - odes 3, 6, and 9 with the refrains / irmoi, while the paraklesis includes the entire canon. The full supplicatory canon in the Russian tradition is literally called “Supplicatory Canon”. :) The most common Russian supplicatory service though is the moleben.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Sort of. The moleben is a service of supplication, while the paraklesis is a canon of supplication. The moleben contains an abbreviated canon - odes 3, 6, and 9 with the refrains / irmoi, while the paraklesis includes the entire canon. The full supplicatory canon in the Russian tradition is literally called “Supplicatory Canon”. :) The most common Russian supplicatory service though is the moleben.

So is the Moleben an abbreviated Paraklesis or does it contain other prayers in addition to the abbreviated canon?

Also, in a Paraklesis, is Ode 2 normally included? I was under the impression Ode 2 was used primarily in extremely penitential contexts, for example, Lent.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,020,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Correct - Ode 2 is skipped.

I should add that Molebens may or may not have the canon included even with the abbreviated form. Either way, there are various hymns added in at certain points of the service. The type of moleben (with the canon, no canon but it with the gospel, or no gospel) also depends on the reason for why it is served.

It follows the general order of Matins - and the canon (if included) would be added in after Psalm 50 is chanted. The paraklesis also follows the general order of Matins.

Admittedly, since I am in the OCA, I haven’t been in many paraklesis services served in the non-Slavic Orthodox churches, so I am reaching the limits of my knowledge in comparing the two. :)

Perhaps examples to compare and contrast would be helpful?

https://www.acrod.org/assets/files/PDFS/liturgical-services/Moleben_to_the_Theotokos_Layout_1-1.pdf

The Service of the Small Paraklesis (Intercessory Prayer) to the Most Holy Theotokos - Liturgical Texts of the Orthodox Church - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,020,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I dont think I've ever seen Ode 2 used. In fact most of our printed materials does even list the verses for Ode 2. They just go from 1 to 3.
I think Ode 2 is only written during Lenten Canons…I don’t think they are even composed for most of them.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I dont think I've ever seen Ode 2 used. In fact most of our printed materials does even list the verses for Ode 2. They just go from 1 to 3.

My Triodion, which is the Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary edition, with the extra volume of additional material, does have Ode 2 services, and they are also in the booklet containing the services for Holy Week and Pascha I purchased two years ago at St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My Triodion, which is the Kallistos Ware and Mother Mary edition, with the extra volume of additional material, does have Ode 2 services, and they are also in the booklet containing the services for Holy Week and Pascha I purchased two years ago at St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church.

The booklets for the pews don't have Ode 2 in them. And that reminds me, I have to start working on combining the 3 books that our used for Holy Week. The Greeks don't know how to proofread. My favorite misprint is from the Lord's Prayer in the Akathist. "Deliver us for evil" :crosseo:

• Haha
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. I needed to hear this.
This is the main canon for the Small Paraklesis services that are held in the first two weeks of August for the Dormition of the Theotokos, sung by the group Eikonia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums