Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thread inspired by a family discussion from yesterday.

I had seen the sentiment on the internet that Christians should share with the poor without question. Never mind how they got into that predicament, or if they would only use the money to make unhealthy choices. The attitude of, "This is mine, I earned it, and you can't have it," is not taught by Jesus in the Bible.

My gut reaction was, "Oh, yes it is. The Parable of the Ten Virgins." You may recall, five wise virgins brought extra oil with them, and five foolish virgins did not. When the lamps went out during the night, the foolish ones asked the wise ones to share their extra oil, only to be told, "Go get your own."

I then considered that from the point of view of the parable, these were ten virgins who all started out with the same opportunity. The five foolish virgins *could* have also brought extra oil with them, but by their own choice they did not, and that's why they missed out. This parable doesn't speak about people who never had the opportunity in the first place.

What do you take from this parable?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the point is about having or sharing (or not sharing) stuff. It's about the importance of looking ahead and preparing for what God is doing in our midst.

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I had seen the sentiment on the internet that Christians should share with the poor without question. Never mind how they got into that predicament, or if they would only use the money to make unhealthy choices. The attitude of, "This is mine, I earned it, and you can't have it," is not taught by Jesus in the Bible.

My gut reaction was, "Oh, yes it is. The Parable of the Ten Virgins." You may recall, five wise virgins brought extra oil with them, and five foolish virgins did not. When the lamps went out during the night, the foolish ones asked the wise ones to share their extra oil, only to be told, "Go get your own."

I then considered that from the point of view of the parable, these were ten virgins who all started out with the same opportunity. The five foolish virgins *could* have also brought extra oil with them, but by their own choice they did not, and that's why they missed out. This parable doesn't speak about people who never had the opportunity in the first place.

I think you are on point. God is fair and just, meaning that each person shall reap the consequences of their actions, whether they are good or bad. If you have made bad decisions all your life, you are not entitled to reap the consequences and sweat and the fruit from the labor of someone who did make good decision all their life. This parable tell you to go make your own good decisions and reap your own fruit.

For scripture says;

“God is not mocked whatsoever a man sows, that shall that man reap”

Meaning, whether they be good or bad.

Blessings

Much love in Christ, Not me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 6:30
Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back.

could it be the oil was more about the foolish not being ready for Christ return and it was far to late for them when they tried to get ready by getting more oil from those that had prepared. could it be the importance on preparing for Christ return and dont let anyone distract you or take away from your faith of him returning

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back.

That can easily be understood as specific to the disciples and their ministries as they would be going out and spreading the gospel.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Does anyone read this parable as promoting the importance (maybe even necessity) of works? I personally think we need faith demonstrated by works so I wouldn't say it is contrary to that.

Upvote 0

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I am starting to think that scripture like this, and those like it, are all meant as examples of doing and practicing righteousness.

(Food for thought. Working through things in Christ??)

Blessings;

Upvote 0

Not me

Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone read this parable as promoting the importance (maybe even necessity) of works? I personally think we need faith demonstrated by works so I wouldn't say it is contrary to that.

Yes, I think that is, and what is meant to be portrayed by the parable.

I think your understanding is correct; true faith produces works.

Case in point;

The thief on the cross. His faith caused Him to turn to Christ, and ask to be remembered when Christ came into His kingdom. That faith, and the action or work that faith produced, save that man.

(My thinks)

Blessings

Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

could it be the oil was more about the foolish not being ready for Christ return and it was far to late for them when they tried to get ready by getting more oil from those that had prepared. could it be the importance on preparing for Christ return and dont let anyone distract you or take away from your faith of him returning
This is close, I think. The ten virgins were the kingdom of heaven before Christ returned in it. Some were not prepared for Christ's return in it; others were.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The attitude of the hearts of the wise virgins was different from the attitude of the hearts of the foolish virgins

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
At verse Matthew 25:9 the wise virgins tell the foolish ones to go and ‘buy’ their own oil so the parable isn’t about those in need of something they are unable to acquire themselves but about preparedness. I think what is important is what does the ‘oil’ represent and how do they/we aquire it in real world terms.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The parable ends at the timeframe of the second coming so prior to that "buying and selling" can only happen if one has the mark of the beast so the foolish ones represent those who have the mark and Christ knows them not. Reminds me of this as well:

Luk 17:34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

compare to this:

Mat 25:5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

One is worthy, one is not. It's the same ones in both examples...same order as well.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That can easily be understood as specific to the disciples and their ministries as they would be going out and spreading the gospel.

This is part of the Sermon on the Mount (i.e. not just directed to the disciples) ...

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is part of the Sermon on the Mount (i.e. not just directed to the disciples) ...

Doesn't mean he didn't address some things to the disciples that wouldn't apply to anyone else.

Luk 6:20 And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At verse Matthew 25:9 the wise virgins tell the foolish ones to go and ‘buy’ their own oil so the parable isn’t about those in need of something they are unable to acquire themselves but about preparedness. I think what is important is what does the ‘oil’ represent and how do they/we aquire it in real world terms.
Through prayer and remaining close to our beloved

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I'm seeing so far is that the parable is not so much about giving to those in need, but about being prepared for the coming of the Lord's Kingdom. Am I getting it?

I suppose any discussion on when to give to those in need, and when not to, is for another post.

Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I'm seeing so far is that the parable is not so much about giving to those in need, but about being prepared for the coming of the Lord's Kingdom. Am I getting it?

I suppose any discussion on when to give to those in need, and when not to, is for another post.
To be more specific, the ten virgins are the kingdom (Mt 25:1); they're the church. Some believers would be prepared to see the Lord coming in his kingdom; some would not. That is, some saw him come in his church; some did not.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But see that’s just it
At the last hour there will be turmoil and terror

Giving to those in need (physically) is a picture of the true Christian even during these troubling times

Read James and how if you say you are (so spiritual) if you pray for others turning them away during their need saying I pray for you yet do not supply the physical needs of those who ask, how can you declare yourself to be so spiritual

During this time, it will be made manifest those who declared the Name of Christ only outwardly ( who simply did lip service to Him from those who inwardly and upon the heart knew who and what they worship

These people worship me with their mouths but their hearts are far from me

A “virgin” who has to frantically prepare themselves st the last hour for their “beloved” already makes manifest that their heart was elsewhere

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be more specific, the ten virgins are the kingdom (Mt 25:1); they're the church. Some believers would be prepared to see the Lord coming in his kingdom; some would not. That is, some saw him come in his church; some did not.
It’s not indicative of what we see
It’s indicstive of what He sees

HE entered into His kingdom
We will either be able to enter in or the Door will be closed and we will not be able to enter in

In revelation it says blessed are those who die IN The Lord from now on...and The Spirit says, their works shall proceed them

There will come a time when by what they do to the very least of their brothers during the time of great tribulation when He who holds all things back is taken out of the way (temporarily) that these will be made manifest by their deeds

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Church Fathers understand the oil to represent the good works they have done in the Lord. When they "fell asleep" refers to their death, after which they "awoke" for the judgement. Christ told three parables here to drive the same point home, the ten virgins, the talents and the sheep and the goats. They need to be understood together.

Upvote 0