Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 13:44 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. NKJV

In the parable of the lost treasure a man sells all to buy the field. If a man buys something in a parable about the kingdom the man is Jesus. No one except Jesus buys anything in the kingdom of God. In a previous parable a field was the world. In this parable the kingdom is like a treasure.

Jesus found the nation of Israel through Abraham and his seed. Later the nation of Israel was divided. The northern kingdom was conquered and most of Israel in the northern tribes are considered lost. He northern tribes were referred to as Ephraim in Isaiah 7:2. Ephraim was the second son of Joseph. Joseph was given a double portion in the inheritance by Jacob adopting Joseph's sons as his. Therefore, when the promised land was divided it was 12 tribes that inherited the land. Josephs 2 sons received a portion along with 10 other tribes. The tribe of Levi received no land as a tribe because serving God was their inheritance. Most of the northern tribes land was in the inheritance of Ephraim.

In Genesis 48: 17- 2 Jacob bless both Ephraim and Manasseh. His blessing on Ephraim has been translated in many versions as “He will become a multitude of nations.” This can also be translated as “ He will become the fullness of the gentiles.” Fast forward to the new testament when Paul writes in Romans l1: 25b “ blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.” In other words the blindness that Israel is experiencing will end when all/most of the lost tribes come to their Messiah.

God found Israel then most of it He hid in the gentile nations. Jesus bought the field (world) back when He died on the cross. It is still in Satan's possession until the end of the age when all/most of the lost tribes comes back into true Israel then all Israel will be saved. God will get His treasure Israel back.

The kingdom is like the treasure. The treasure in this case is all Israel. Does that means that everyone in the church has a ancestor in Israel? No. But this parable puts an end to the false motion that God is through with Israel. He is presently bring it in.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The parable means that when someone hears of Christ and turns to Him...they are amazed at the infinitely precious, wondrous Gift -- the amazing grace, the pearl beyond price. To find the best thing that ever will be! The Pearl beyond price of a relationship with God, Himself!

To be rescued and brought into the close embrace of God! The best place that is, ever.

For that, all the things of the world have zero value in comparison, and we "sell all" we have -- we suddenly see all that worldly stuff being of little value in comparison! and no longer put our heart on those things -- to "buy", focus on/dwell in, the only thing that is of real value.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The treasure in this case is all Israel. Does that means that everyone in the church has a ancestor in Israel? No. But this parable puts an end to the false motion that God is through with Israel. He is presently bring it in.

I don't believe that is what the Treasure is. The Treasure is union with God, having a restored relationship with God, Salvation etc. There are a number of passages in the Old Testament that prefigure that idea where someone like David, Jeremiah etc. says in prayer "Lord you are my portion", or "Lord you are my inheritance". e.g. Psalms 16:5-11, Lamentations 3:24, Psalms 16:5,

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The parable means that when someone hears of Christ and turns to Him...they are amazed at the infinitely precious, wondrous Gift -- the amazing grace, the pearl beyond price. To find the best thing that ever will be! The Pearl beyond price of a relationship with God, Himself!

To be rescued and brought into the close embrace of God! The best place that is, ever.

For that, all the things of the world have zero value in comparison, and we "sell all" we have -- we suddenly see all that worldly stuff being of little value in comparison! -- to "buy", focus on/dwell in, the only thing that is of real value.

why would he hid the treasure and buy a field?. Reminds me of Judas.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
why would he hid the treasure and buy a field?. Reminds me of Judas.
We "hide" the most precious experiences and things of all in our hearts!!!

While there are very many possible bible verses, such as Mary hiding things in her heart (luke chapter 2), the one that perhaps is most useful to point out why we hide the most precious thing is probably this one: There are some experiences then that are too special to us, too precious, to risk with people that might not appreciate how wonderful it is. For instance, in general public, not in a church (but a broader open public place, like on the internet), it's too risky to share some certain personal things with some who might scoff or other attacks men can do --

Matthew 7:6 Do not give dogs what is holy; do not throw your pearls before swine. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

We can tell the gospel and very many things to strangers, but we can't always share the most precious interior gifts of experience from God that happen to us with just anyone, but must choose carefully who to share them with, where we know the person will treasure them like us.

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟55,954.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All Israel Will Be Saved

25I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, 26and in this way e all Israel will be saved. As it is written:

“The deliverer will come from Zion;

he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

27And this is f my covenant with them

when I take away their sins.” g

28As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now h receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you.

This verse proves that God is not done with Israel, but is waiting for the full numbers of gentiles.

Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟343,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All Israel Will Be Saved

25I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, 26and in this way e all Israel will be saved. As it is written:

“The deliverer will come from Zion;

he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

27And this is f my covenant with them

when I take away their sins.” g

28As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now h receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you.

This verse proves that God is not done with Israel, but is waiting for the full numbers of gentiles.
I agree. I never thought that God was through with Israel. There are a lot of people that just over look the scripture that you cited. The parable proves that God has never ceased to use Israel in His plans. It is Israel from beginning to end. When the last of the fulness of the gentiles, who is hidden Israel, comes in then He focuses on the rest of Israel. Israel is God's time piece from beginning to end.

Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟343,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 13:44 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. NKJV

In the parable of the lost treasure a man sells all to buy the field. If a man buys something in a parable about the kingdom the man is Jesus. No one except Jesus buys anything in the kingdom of God. In a previous parable a field was the world. In this parable the kingdom is like a treasure.

Jesus found the nation of Israel through Abraham and his seed. Later the nation of Israel was divided. The northern kingdom was conquered and most of Israel in the northern tribes are considered lost. He northern tribes were referred to as Ephraim in Isaiah 7:2. Ephraim was the second son of Joseph. Joseph was given a double portion in the inheritance by Jacob adopting Joseph's sons as his. Therefore, when the promised land was divided it was 12 tribes that inherited the land. Josephs 2 sons received a portion along with 10 other tribes. The tribe of Levi received no land as a tribe because serving God was their inheritance. Most of the northern tribes land was in the inheritance of Ephraim.

In Genesis 48: 17- 2 Jacob bless both Ephraim and Manasseh. His blessing on Ephraim has been translated in many versions as “He will become a multitude of nations.” This can also be translated as “ He will become the fullness of the gentiles.” Fast forward to the new testament when Paul writes in Romans l1: 25b “ blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.” In other words the blindness that Israel is experiencing will end when all/most of the lost tribes come to their Messiah.

God found Israel then most of it He hid in the gentile nations. Jesus bought the field (world) back when He died on the cross. It is still in Satan's possession until the end of the age when all/most of the lost tribes comes back into true Israel then all Israel will be saved. God will get His treasure Israel back.

The kingdom is like the treasure. The treasure in this case is all Israel. Does that means that everyone in the church has a ancestor in Israel? No. But this parable puts an end to the false motion that God is through with Israel. He is presently bring it in.

Ezek 37:15-28 The Son of Man is to take the stick of Judah and the stick of Ephraim and join them in His hand. It was a prophecy that the Messiah would find the lost tribes and then join them with Judah. God will establish them forever. David will be their king. God's sanctuary and tabernacle shall be with them.

One reason the Jews rejected Jesus is because did not fulfill this prophecy. They did not give Him enough time.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Way too many assumptions are being made concerning the meaning of the parable and its details.

For example. You say, "In a previous parable a field was the world," but that does not mean a field in all parables is always the world. Logically speaking a field is only part of the world so we might just as easily and more directly and reasonably understand the field is the part of the world Jesus purchases, even though the whole world is his to begin with. Jesus died for all but not all reap the benefit. When Paul said, "For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body," (1 Cor. 6:20) he was writing to Christians, not Jews. That is a field he purchased.

More fundamentally, the kingdom being purchased is said to be a comparison to the kingdom of heaven, so unless and until the world is shown to apply that field is not the world. And it is a hidden treasure, not a lost one. Big difference.

And therefore the treasure of that parable does not prove God is not through with Israel.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟343,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Way too many assumptions are being made concerning the meaning of the parable and its details.

For example. You say, "In a previous parable a field was the world," but that does not mean a field in all parables is always the world. Logically speaking a field is only part of the world so we might just as easily and more directly and reasonably understand the field is the part of the world Jesus purchases, even though the whole world is his to begin with. Jesus died for all but not all reap the benefit. When Paul said, "For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body," (1 Cor. 6:20) he was writing to Christians, not Jews. That is a field he purchased.

More fundamentally, the kingdom being purchased is said to be a comparison to the kingdom of heaven, so unless and until the world is shown to apply that field is not the world. And it is a hidden treasure, not a lost one. Big difference.

And therefore the treasure of that parable does not prove God is not through with Israel.

You are correct. Jesus bought the church. I said nothing to dispute that. Within that church is many people from Israel which are considered lost. They are called “the fullness of the gentiles.” They are not lost to God. He just hid them.

Romans 11:25 Paul has said that when the “fullness of the gentiles” comes in all Israel will be saved. As I said in the first post the fullness of the gentiles traces back to when Jacob blessed Ephraim in Genesis 48: 20 when he said that Ephraim would become the “fullness of the gentiles.” However, most translations say that he will become a multitude of nations.

Many Christians believe that the church has replaced Israel. The fact that God is looking for the hidden tribes of Israel proves them wrong. This has been His plan all along.

Your critique about my presuming that the field means world. I'm using common interpretation practices. A prophet will be consistent in the use of metaphors.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are called “the fullness of the gentiles.”
No, they are not. That is a gross misreading of the text.

The Greek is "plērōma tōn ethnōn eiselthē," and the transliteration reads, "The fullness of the Gentiles may come in." The term used for "fullness," "plērōma," is also the term used in Jesus' analogy of patching a wineskin or an old garment. It is a term used for addition, adding to or complementing. Gentiles are added. It is not "many people from Israel," and that should be obvious since the clear testimony of the epistolary is these Gentiles were added from Corinth, Ephesus, Philippi, Thessalonica, Colossae and a host of places not Israel! and not only from parts not Israel, but members who were pagan who were previously idol worshippers.

Not Israelites.

I don't know where you got that idea but it is incorrect. If it came from within you then go back to the text and study it greater detail. If you learned it from another source then start being a critical of that source as you are of my posts: equal opportunity critique.

And don't get mad at me for asking you to do so.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians believe that the church has replaced Israel.
I completely agree. Many do hold that view. That view is incorrect. It is incorrect because scripture teaches otherwise and I posted to that effect.
The fact that God is looking for the hidden tribes of Israel proves them wrong. This has been His plan all along.
There are no hidden tribes. The text in question never mentions any such thing that is a gross abuse of scripture based on additions to the text nowhere evident.

And I will repudiate buth the practice and the misbegotten conclusions thereof.
Your critique about my presuming that the field means world.
....is an incomplete sentence. Meaningless.
I'm using common interpretation practices. A prophet will be consistent in the use of metaphors.
lol. The evidence proves otherwise.

Look, fli, the basic rules of exegesis are long-held, and well-established. Even where different hermeneutics exist the basics of exegesis are common.

And you are not practicing them.

Not even close.

The evidence shows the plain reading of the text in the ordinary use of words is not being practicd. The evidence shows additions are made to the text that have no basis in the actual text. The evidence shows things that are actually stated are being ignored. The evidence shows some of the most basic elements of the text, like audience affiliation and temporal markers are ignored. The evidence shows other scriptures to which the text itself directly links the reader are not being considered.

The evidence shows common interpretation practices are not being used.

This is first and foremost most evident in the fact the passage is not written about contemporary conditions. Just as many people erroneously believe the Church replaces Israel, others erroneously believe the Romans 11 text is about the 21st century.

It is not.

It has relevance to today, but it is not specifically about today. Big huge error to think otherwise.

Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟343,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I completely agree. Many do hold that view. That view is incorrect. It is incorrect because scripture teaches otherwise and I posted to that effect.

There are no hidden tribes. The text in question never mentions any such thing that is a gross abuse of scripture based on additions to the text nowhere evident.

And I will repudiate buth the practice and the misbegotten conclusions thereof.

....is an incomplete sentence. Meaningless.

lol. The evidence proves otherwise.

Look, fli, the basic rules of exegesis are long-held, and well-established. Even where different hermeneutics exist the basics of exegesis are common.

And you are not practicing them.

Not even close.

The evidence shows the plain reading of the text in the ordinary use of words is not being practicd. The evidence shows additions are made to the text that have no basis in the actual text. The evidence shows things that are actually stated are being ignored. The evidence shows some of the most basic elements of the text, like audience affiliation and temporal markers are ignored. The evidence shows other scriptures to which the text itself directly links the reader are not being considered.

The evidence shows common interpretation practices are not being used.

This is first and foremost most evident in the fact the passage is not written about contemporary conditions. Just as many people erroneously believe the Church replaces Israel, others erroneously believe the Romans 11 text is about the 21st century.

It is not.

It has relevance to today, but it is not specifically about today. Big huge error to think otherwise.

I wondered why God chose me. You have proven me a fool, base and stupid too boot.

I stand by what I wrote even with my bad English and grammar. It is no coincidence when Ephraim is told that he will become the fullness of the gentiles by Jacob; then Paul writes hundreds of years later that the blinders will be taken off Israel when the fullness of the gentiles comes in. It is no coincidence when Ezekiel prophesied that the Son of man will unite Judah (the southern kingdom) and Ephraim (the northern Kingdom) as one nation under David. The northern kingdom cannot be united united until the northern kingdom comes to believe in Jesus. And the southern kingdom cannot come to believe until God takes off the blinders. Then all Israel will be saved.

Show me the evidence that no one looks at what previous metaphors meant.

Show me the evidence that the term “fullness of the gentiles” does not mean the “lost” or “hidden” tribes in Ephraim.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show me the evidence that no one looks at what previous metaphors meant.
Since I do not believe the literary devices of scripture should be ignored I think you'll have to ask someone who holds that view.

And learn how not to read things into folks' posts they didn't write.
Show me the evidence that the term “fullness of the gentiles” does not mean the “lost” or “hidden” tribes in Ephraim.
Sure. Easily done.

According to the Bible Epraim is a Jewish tribe, not a Gentile one. Ephraim (and Manasseh) was the son of Joseph, born in Egypt. In Genesis 48 we read Jacob taking Joseph's first two sons as his own.

Genesis 48:3-5
"Then Jacob said to Joseph, "God Almighty appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan and blessed me, and He said to me, 'Behold, I will make you fruitful and numerous, and I will make you a company of peoples, and will give this land to your descendants after you for an everlasting possession.' "Now your two sons, who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt, are mine; Ephraim and Manasseh shall be mine, as Reuben and Simeon are."

Those born to Jacob afterwards remained with Joseph but Ephraim was from then on considered one of the tribes of Jacob. Everything read about Ephraim elsewhere in scripture should be read within that context.

We see this manifested centuries later when Ephraim is counted among the twelve tribes in the history and Law of Moses. in the census of Numbers 1 we read, "Of the sons of Joseph, namely, of the sons of Ephraim, their genealogical registration by their families, by their fathers' households, according to the number of names, from twenty years old and upward, whoever was able to go out to war, their numbered men of the tribe of Ephraim were 40,500." and they are counted among the twelve tribes.... of Hebrews, of Jews.

Ephraim is not a Gentile tribe. Were it "lost" in any way it would not be a lost tribe of the Gentiles. Were it lost its absent my be a concern for the fullness of Israel, but not that of the Gentiles.

Which is relevant because in Isaiah we read of Ephraim separating from Judah. For the sake of space I won't expound on the history but anyone so interested can begin with Isaiah 7 (see also Jeremiah 7). However, in Jeremiah 31 we read prophetic announcement, "For there will be a day when watchmen on the hills of Ephraim call out, 'Arise, and let us go up to Zion, to the LORD our God.' For thus says the LORD, 'Sing aloud with gladness for Jacob, and shout among the chief of the nations; proclaim, give praise and say, 'O LORD, save Your people, the remnant of Israel.'"

First, it will be noted Ephraim is again explicitly cited specifically in the context of Jacob, Judah, and Israel, not Gentiles. More importantly, it is a remnant of Israel.

Turn now to Romans 11 where the following is written:

Romans 11:2-5
"God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he appeals to God against Israel? “Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have demolished your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life.” But what is God’s reply to him? “I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace."

It is a somewhat common practice among some sects of Christianity to still look forward to a "remnant" being restored but 1) that is only among certain sects holding to a specific apocalyptic eschatology and 2) in direct disregard to what is actually stated in the Romans 11 text because the Romans 11 text explicitly and specifically states, "at the present time." In other words, Paul was not writing about events in his far, far distant future. He was not writing about the 21st century. He was writing about conditions and events that were and would occur at the present time of his writing!

So..... when a few verses later he writes, "Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, 'The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob;' and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins,'” he is writing within all the previously established contexts - all the explicitly and implicitly established contexts (plural) he and the whole of scripture have already established: those of Genesis, the Law, the prophets, and most importantly.... Christ.

Ephraim is a tribe of Israel.
The "fullness" of the Gentiles" was condition related to the remnant of Israel.
The "fullness" of the Gentiles" was condition related to the remnant of Israel which God would save.
The "fullness" of the Gentiles" was condition related to "at the present time."
Ephraim is not Gentile.

Now let's connect this to what scripture says elsewhere about the fullness of the Gentiles. The phrase itself is found only in Romans 11. However, In Luke 21 Jesus states something very similar.

Luke 21:20-24
"But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. "Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled. "Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled."

So Paul tells us the "fullness of the Gentiles" is related to a "remnant" of Israel that existed "at the present time" of his writing the book of Romans and Jesus tells us the fulfillment of the times of the Gentiles is related to the trampling of Jerusalem.

Now there is some diversity of interpretation of the Luke 21 text with some understanding this trampling of Jerusalem to be what happened in 70 AD, awhile others see it as the persecution of the Church (God's true "city of peace, " ala Acts 21:11), and still others see this as a still-yet-to-be-fulfilled event in our modern future. For the sake of this post it doesn't much matter because there is nothing in scripture saying Ephraim is a "hidden tribe," and there is plenty in scripture to show Ephraim is not itself the fullness of the Gentiles because they are a part of Jacob's tribes, Hebrew, Israel, Jewish, not Gentile.

The "lost tribes of Israel," and Ephraim as a "lost tribe" is a legend. It is not scripture. It is associated with a number of cults throughout history, including in more modern times that of the LDS or the Worldwide Church of God (Armstrongism). Your avatar says you're Baptist and not a member of either cult so I won't belabor that point but if what you are asserting is in any way related to the legend of the ten lost tribes or British/Anglo Israelism, then 1) you now have a basic outline of scripture disproving the legend and 2) you are invited to make the case for your position if you're willing to have it critically examined. If you're gonna believe whatever it is you want to believe and not submit to scriptural measure then don't bother wasting your time, my time, nor that of the lurkers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums