Parable of the Fig Tree

A

AbbaLove

Can someone explain what the Parable of the Fig Tree means. I don't understand why Jesus cursed the fig tree. What is the meaning? Thank you.
Did a study a year ago on all the scriptures in the OT & NT relating to the word fig. Like you I too was seeking more literal and metaphorical insight. I have my own opinion, but would prefer not sharing as it can be a rather sensitive subject with Christians and Messianic Jews.

You may have your own perspective about this parable, but like others prefer not sharing your view. There is a most positive outlook when taking into account the end times restoration of Israel.

The following link is one interpretation of this parable which you may have already googled.

Revelations Revealed - Israel and the Fig Tree

Upvote 0
A

AbbaLove

These following NT scripture verses were not discussed or ever referenced in the thread ... Figs represent Judah [Israel] ... http://www.christianforums.com/t7798496/

Matthew 21:18-22
Mark 11:12-14, 20-21
Luke 13:6-9

Perhaps these are verses that are not easily discussed within Messianic Judaism.
Christians posting in this forum need to be sensitive to MJ perspectives.

Upvote 0

ErezY

Oct 3, 2013
✟8,620.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Paul Liberman from the MJAA has written a book about this:

The fig tree is the Biblical symbol for the Jewish people. Since thousands of Jewish people are accepting Jesus as Messiah, it could be said that the fig tree is blossoming. This book answers the following questions: * What is stirring in Jewish hearts? * Why do Messianic Jews believe the Bible is true? * How does Jesus fulfill the Messianic promise? * What happened to Jews of the first century who believed in Jesus? * Why have the Jewish people not recognized Jesus as Messiah for nearly 2,000 years? * What is the real prophetic significance of the Jews being regathered in Israel? * Can these dry bones live? * How is the spiritual "Berlin Wall" between Jew and Gentile being broken down? * How is Jewish outreach different today? * What is the higher meaning of the Jewish holidays? * How are Gentiles a part of God's ultimate plan for the jews? * What is the future of Abraham descendants? --- from book's back cover

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The mention of the Fig tree strikes me as not a parable at all,but a documented event.

It ends with a simple answer from Christ,have Faith in God.

This would bring to mind that speaking to our circumstances does not rely on our ability for Faith
but our ability to have Faith in God that our words will come to pass.

Going forward in Mark 11 this event was a prerequisite for the teaching that follows.

Mark 11:22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
These following NT scripture verses were not discussed or ever referenced in the thread ... Figs represent Judah [Israel] ... http://www.christianforums.com/t7798496/

Matthew 21:18-22
Mark 11:12-14, 20-21
Luke 13:6-9

Perhaps these are verses that are not easily discussed within Messianic Judaism.
Christians posting in this forum need to be sensitive to MJ perspectives.

What if we try not to use a systematic approach to the Word,whereby we assume the same meaning for each word used?

The word folly has a sexual meaning in the Old Testament,yet in the New Paul references folly to himself placing folly into a meaning of foolishness.

I think reading more than is intended in the context of a passage is simply pseudo study,and
That is offensive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
It was not yet the time of year when the figs would be ripe, but there should have been some immature fruit on the tree. There was nothing but leaves, foliage without fruit. Jesus used that to illustrate the Jewish nation and peoples whose religion had the appearance of life, but who were not receptive to Jesus from whom fruitfulness is derived.

On their return trip the same tree was now withered and shriveled down to the roots. They were astonished that it was so quickly dried up. It was a picture parable of the Jewish nation and religion which was like a fruitless fig tree, unwilling to derive fruit from the character of God in Jesus Christ, and therefore would soon become lifeless, dead wood, destroyed.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was not yet the time of year when the figs would be ripe, but there should have been some immature fruit on the tree. There was nothing but leaves, foliage without fruit. Jesus used that to illustrate the Jewish nation and peoples whose religion had the appearance of life, but who were not receptive to Jesus from whom fruitfulness is derived.

On their return trip the same tree was now withered and shriveled down to the roots. They were astonished that it was so quickly dried up. It was a picture parable of the Jewish nation and religion which was like a fruitless fig tree, unwilling to derive fruit from the character of God in Jesus Christ, and therefore would soon become lifeless, dead wood, destroyed.
I've been checking this thread, off and on, wondering if anyone was going to ever explain how Jesus felt about appearing to be something, while not coming through with the goods.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I've been checking this thread, off and on, wondering if anyone was going to ever explain how Jesus felt about appearing to be something, while not coming through with the goods.

Are you reverencing the expectations of the Jews as to the mission of Messiah?

Only a opinion but the miracles he performed to the multitudes of people should have been sufficient.

As well as knowing his destination when he created everything.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God. 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

I still hold to the context of Mark,and him teaching faith in God.

No harshness intended Willy:wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by Willie T

Are you reverencing the expectations of the Jews as to the mission of Messiah?

Only a opinion but the miracles he performed to the multitudes of people should have been sufficient.

As well as knowing his destination when he created everything.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God. 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

I still hold to the context of Mark,and him teaching faith in God.

No harshness intended Willy:wave:
Nope... just hypocrisy in general, both back then, and today. Like many Jews then, and Christians now, the fig tree tried to look like something it wasn't. It was cursed by Jesus for the phoniness.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Nope... just hypocrisy in general, both back then, and today. Like many Jews then, and Christians now, the fig tree tried to look like something it wasn't. It was cursed by Jesus for the phoniness.

Yep even our good deeds are a extension of our selfish acts.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I have heard it said that Jesus' curse represented the end of the temple sacrifice and the the law of ordinances. The tree did represent Israel.

I have enjoyed how in one gospel it was said that it dried up immediately, but it appears to not have been discovered until the next day. It seems to affirm that it was cursed at His Word though the confirmation of that wasn't evident until later.

People discount the whole Mk11:23-24 thing of faith, but it is still there to compliment the passage. Can you imagine having (receiving) the faith of God (not your own personal faith) and speaking and having things like that come to pass? It's right there in the Word. The key seems to be positioning yourself to receive the faith of God -- a yielded, but expectant victorious life.

What would happen if the church started to receive and step out in the faith of God? It would be an amazing place to be!

AA

"I can tell you something that will change your life tomorrow, and it won’t cost you anything. Before you get out of your bed in the morning, you will look up to Heaven and say: “Father, I ask for and receive grace for this day.” Heaven will download fuel into your being for everything that you will face for that day."

"When the Father told me that. “It’s available to My people, but they don’t know it.” My people perish for lack of knowledge. This is one little thing that will literally change your life."
-- Kat Kerr

Upvote 0