bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was asked to teach an adult class on the Parable of the talents (described as bags of gold in the NIV), so I developed some questions and would like your answers and comments:

What are the servants being entrusted with?

This is from (Matt. 25: 14-30)

Did one servant get a talent of gold, the next a talent of silver and the third a talent of copper?

Did one get some land, the next get some sheep and the third got a fish boat?

Did the Master “gift” these servants with money, so it is their money?

In the Kingdom of God what would be used as the measure of wealth and the medium of exchange (money)?

What “ability” is the master talking about?

Do they have different abilities: one is a farmer, another fisherman and another shepherd?

As the money grows in their possession would their “ability” also have to grow?

Since there is the same kind of money given to the servants, just different quantities, would that mean every Christian has this same ability at different portions?

What “ability” is truly ours to begin with, so we all bring this one ability to the relationship with God/Christ?

John 6:29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” Can the nonbeliever bring anything more?

The Money grows

Is there any indication in this parable the money could be lost with use?

Are the servants putting the master’s money at risk, is there any down side possibility?

If the “money” is some physical talent of gift given to a Christian could that be lost over time?

Would it have been easier for the third servant to just turn the money over to some money changers than it would be to sneak around, dig a whole at night, remember where the money was hidden and worry about someone else finding the money?

Can we goof-off as Christians and still please the master by having others grow his money?

Hope (Desired Expectation)

Did the first two servants have hope of the Master’s return?

Did the third servant hope for the Master’s return?

How should we feel about Christ’s return?

Old people in poor health can be ready to die, but are they prepared to die?

A Spiritual Understanding of the Parable

All Christians are gifted with Love as a result of being forgiven (Luke 7) thus own that portion of Love, but are they also stewards of a portion of God’s Love to be used in the Market?

Love and Faith seem to go together, so if “faith” is man’s ability is God’s Love given in proportion to that faith?

If we take God’s Love to the market place (the world of people) with our portion of faith will it automatically grow with use and is there any risk of it being lost?

If a person just extends God’s Love to other Christians who can grow God’s Love will that person’s God Love he/she is a steward of grow?

Can the Love God has entrusted each of us with continue to grow with us all the way to our death bed?

Interesting Tidbits

The servant with ten bags gold is given the bag of gold of the unfaithful servant and it is not divided up or just kept by the Master, so what could this be about in the kingdom?

How did the faith (ability) of the ten bag of gold servant grow with the unfaithful servant going to hell?

What could the “being in charge of many things” represent?

The Master said: “So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?” So what is that talking about if God is in control?

Reactions: Serving Zion

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IMO, everything belongs to God, your life, your possessions, your attributes, etc. and to what extent you use what God has given you is what this parable is about.
If God has given you the ability to easily talk to people you don't know and you don't use it to spread His word, then you are not doing His will.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was asked to teach an adult class on the Parable of the Talents (described as bags of gold in the NIV), so I developed some questions and would like your answers and comments.

I have done an entire study on this, and I will be glad to post it for you here. You can take from it what you wish, but I can assure you I'm pretty good when it comes to accurate interpretation of scripture. First, I'll try to answer your questions specifically, and then post the study in its entirety so you can see this parable in is proper context.

Question: What are the servants being entrusted with?
Answer: Revelation from God.

Question: Did one servant get a talent of gold, the next a talent of silver and the third a talent of copper?
Answer: No. There is nothing in the context that delineates different kinds of talents; only different quantities.

Question: Did one get some land, the next get some sheep and the third got a fish boat?
Answer: No, although I suppose that analogy could also apply. But Jesus is specifically comparing the true riches He entrusts to us with earthly riches, so bags of gold is the better analogy.

Question: Did the Master “gift” these servants with money, so it is their money?
Answer: Yes, and no. Revelations from God are entrusted to us to be responsible with, but ultimately they are His (kinda complicated).

Question: In the Kingdom of God what would be used as the measure of wealth and the medium of exchange (money)?
Answer: Again, revelations and wisdom are the greatest spiritual riches, which is why they are entrusted only to those who will be responsible with them, and not use them to vaunt themselves over others and stick their hand out wanting an offering all the time (1 Thessalonians 2:3-11).

Question: What “ability” is the master talking about?
Answer: Not everyone has the mental capacity to be a great Biblical scholar. Thus, God only requires us to grow in His word to the level of our own abilities, not anyone else.

Question: Do they have different abilities: one is a farmer, another fisherman and another shepherd?
Answer: No.

Question: As the money grows in their possession would their “ability” also have to grow?
Answer: Yes

Question: Is there any indication in this parable the money could be lost with use?
Answer: Most assuredly there is, and this is an excellent question. Yes, this suggestion is implicit in a previous parable, and as you will see they are all treated together.

Question: Are the servants putting the master’s money at risk, is there any down side possibility?
Answer: No. The parable refers to our responsibility as believers of going about the work of making our Lord's riches grow/increase, as our spiritual responsibility with what has been entrusted to us.

Question: Would it have been easier for the third servant to just turn the money over to some money changers than it would be to sneak around, dig a whole at night... ?
Answer: It might have been easier, but ultimately it would not have been all that pleasing to the Master. What Jesus was saying here was, "You could have at least shared the little revelation of My word I gave you with others, so that maybe at least they could have done something with it instead of it lying dormant in the earth because you were so spiritually lazy."

Question: Can we goof-off as Christians and still please the master by having others grow his money?
Answer: No.

Question: Did the first two servants have hope of the Master’s return?
Answer: Indirectly yes, because they were being obedient.

Question: Did the third servant hope for the Master’s return?
Answer: If he did, foolishly.

Question: How should we feel about Christ’s return?
Answer: Serious enough to act accordingly.

Question: The servant with ten bags gold is given the bag of gold of the unfaithful servant and it is not divided up or just kept by the Master, so what could this be about in the kingdom?
Answer: It simply means that God will instead give the revelation that was entrusted to the man with one to the man with 10, because that servant has proven himself capable of making it grow, i.e. building on it by seeking and increasing in even more.

Question: How/why did... the unfaithful servant going to Hell?
Answer: Because he showed no willingness to walk in obedience whatsoever.

Question: The Master said: “So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?”...
Answer: It means God will not cause the seed to grow within us Himself. WE are the ones required to take it happen, as you can see from parables like Mark 4:26-30.

I left a few questions out simply because my answers would have been redundant.

I'll post my study for you below, so you can see this Parable in its full and proper context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This study is lifted from a series specifically on Colossians. But to go directly to what you are interested, skip down to "The Responsibility Of Growing In The Word Of God" and start there.

All Wisdom And Revelation Is Hidden In Christ Jesus, Part 2

The implication behind the Gentiles having been made members of Christ's body through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit was that they had been made joint-heirs of the coming kingdom together with Him, and partakers of eternal life together with Him as well (Ephesians 3:3-6). But to fully recognize the mystery of "Christ in them, their hope of glory," their spiritual eyes needed to be opened to all that God had done for them in Him, which is why the apostle Paul was incessantly praying in tongues over the Colossians, as well as other congregations in the region who had never met him face to face yet:

God wished to make known what the abundance of the glory of this mystery is amongst the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him, unto which I also labor [in prayer], agonizing in accord with His supernatural energy, which manifests within me in power. For I want you to know what great agonizing I sustain on your behalf, and those in Laodicea, and as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, that their hearts, having been united together in love, might also be exhorted to attain unto all the abundance of assurance that comes through understanding, [and] attain to a recognition of the mystery of God, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (Colossians 1:28-2:3)

As the opening verse of this passage states, God wished to make known the abundance of the glory of this mystery is among the Gentiles, and Paul's reference to the fact that all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge were hidden in Christ suggests that he therefore wanted them to understand all the mysteries of God hidden in Him.
This is also confirmed by a passing statement Paul made to the Corinthians, where he discussed the importance of walking in love:

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I have become as sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And if I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, yet do not have love, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-2)

So, too, did Jesus Himself tell His disciples that whereas the multitudes were receiving His teachings on the mysteries of God only in parables, the disciples were being privileged to have them explained to them plainly. Thus, in teaching the Parable of the Sower, both Luke's and Matthew's accounts tell us:

And His disciples asked Him, saying, "What might this parable be about?" And He said, "To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but unto the rest [I speak] in parables, so that in seeing they may not see, and in hearing they may not understand." (Luke 8:9-10)

And having come to Him, His disciples said to Him, "Why do You speak in parables to them?" And having answered, He said to them, "Because to you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven, but to them it has not been given." (Matthew 13:10-11)

Thus, as Paul was now telling the Colossians, God wished to make known to them the mysteries of God, and in particular the mystery of Christ within them. And although he could not be there in person to teach them, Paul's prayer was that God Himself would make this mystery known to them through the Holy Spirit. This, in reality, had been God's design all along. For although Christ would ascend into Heaven, He promised that the Holy Spirit would be sent to lead the faithful into all truth:

I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth... (John 16:12-13a)

As for you, the Anointing you received from Him abides in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as His Anointing teaches you about all things, and as that Anointing is real, not counterfeit — just as He has taught you, abide in Him. (1 John 2:26-27)

For the disciples, however, growing in revelation from God was more than an opportunity. As we shall see, in the parables Jesus taught them in Matthew 24 and 25, He made it clear to them that it would be their responsibility to do so, because He would expect them to provide spiritual food to His household. So, too, is it still the responsibility of those who accept positions of leadership in the church today. The church is presently starving for true spiritual nourishment, which means that a new class of leadership will now be required.

The Responsibility Of Growing In The Word Of God

In Mark, Chapter 4, Jesus explained to the disciples that because He was now present among them, nothing was hidden that could not now be made manifest:

"Is a lamp brought that it may be put under bushel basket, or under a bed, and not that it may be placed on a lamp stand? For nothing is hidden which shall not be made manifest, nor is anything kept secret but that it should come to light. If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear." (Mark 4:21-23)

By asking them if men brought a lamp to put under a basket or under a bed, Jesus was referring to Himself as the Lamp which God had now sent to be light of the world, and His intention was not that that light be hidden away but "placed on a lamp stand." The disciples were, therefore, to turn to Him as the source of all spiritual light and genuine revelation, for if they did so there was nothing that was hidden which would not be made manifest to them, and nothing that had been kept secret which would not be brought to light.
But the responsibility would be theirs to do so, as another of parables in Mark 4 made clear:

And He was saying, "Thus is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed upon the earth, and should sleep and rise night and day, and the seed should sprout and arise in length, [exactly] how he does not know. For the earth brings forth fruit of itself, first the blade, then the ear, then the full wheat seed within the head of grain. And when the fruit delivers itself up, immediately he sends in the sickle, for the harvest has come." (Mark 4:26-29)

The first of the parables in this series in Mark 4 was the Parable of the Sower. Jesus was the man casting seed upon the earth, and while the seed represented the word of God the earth represented the believer. Thus, the statement that "the earth brings forth fruit of itself" meant that the responsibility for growing in revelation rested entirely with them. After planting seed in the earth, the Lord would soon be returning to Heaven, to "sleep day and night" as it were. While doing so, He would be waiting patiently while the ground itself, i.e. His disciples, and by extension the church, would slowly allow the word to grow within them. Once the earth itself had brought forth a harvest of the word, the Lord would then "send in the sickle" to reap the harvest.
Before His crucifixion, Jesus warned His disciples plainly through additional parables that until His return they would be responsible for ministering spiritual food to His household. And as we shall see, feeding them spiritually would necessitate continuing to receive genuine revelation from God.

"If You Love Me, Feed My Sheep"

In John's Gospel, Jesus is recorded as making abundantly clear what He wanted most from the disciples. Their love for Him would be measured by how well they fed His sheep after He departed from them:

When therefore they had dined, Jesus said unto Simon Peter, "Simon, son of Jonas, do you love Me more than these?" He said unto Him, "Yes, Lord. You know that I am a friend to You." He said unto him, "Feed My lambs."
He said unto him again a second time, "Simon, son of Jonas, do you love Me?" Peter said unto Him, "Yes, Lord. You know that I am a friend to You." He said unto him, "Shepherd My sheep."
He said unto him a third time, "Simon, son of Jonas, are you a friend to Me?" Peter was grieved that He had said, "Are you a friend to Me?," and said unto Him, "Lord, You know all things. You know I am a friend to You." Jesus said unto him, "Feed My sheep." (John 21:15-17)

Later, during a teaching He was giving them on the second coming, Jesus warned all of the disciples once more about the responsibility they would have to feed His household proper spiritual food. If they proved faithful in doing this, they would be given great reward, and far more responsibility in eternity. If they became spiritual abusers over others, however, the torments of Hell awaited them:

Be ready, for in an hour you think not the Son of man will come. Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the Lord has appointed over his household to give them [their] food in due time? Blessed will be that servant whose Lord, having come, will find him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all His possessions. But if that evil servant should say in his heart, "My Lord delays," and should begin to beat his fellow servants and eat and drink with the drunkards, the Lord of that servant will come in a day that he does not anticipate, and in an hour he has no knowledge of, and will dismember him, and assign him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 24:44-51)

Jesus then taught three more parables in immediate succession after this one, and all of them built on this central message Christ was trying to get across to the disciples in this first one: Until He returned, they would be responsible for feeding His household, and as such they would need to continue seeking God for revelation in order to do so.

The Parable Of The Ten Virgins

Next in order came the Parable of the Ten Virgins:

Then the kingdom of heaven will be likened unto ten virgins who, having taken their lamps, went forth to the meeting of the bridegroom. But five were foolish and five were wise. For the foolish, having taken their lamps, did not take oil with them. But the wise took oil in jars along with their lamps. And with the bridegroom delaying, they all became drowsy and were sleeping. At midnight there was a cry: "Behold, the bridegroom! Go forth to meet him!" Then all the virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." But the wise answered saying, "No, lest there not be enough for us and you. Instead, go to those who sell and buy it for yourselves." But while they were on their way to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast, and the door was shut. And afterwards, the remaining virgins also came, saying, "Lord, Lord, open unto us!" But he, having answered, said, "Truly, I say unto you, I do not know you." Keep watch, therefore, for you do not know the day nor the hour. (Matthew 25:1-13)

Prophetically, the Jewish wedding ceremony foreshadowed the coming of Christ for His bride, the church. The bridegroom could come at any time, so she had to stay prepared, and it was held at night, to prefigure Christ returning for the church during the darkest time in human history. As the time of the Antichrist approaches, it will become obvious that all prophecy is on its way to fulfillment, at which time "the call will go out," the Spirit will inform those with ears to hear the Christ's return is imminent.
But it will be during this time that abiding in the Holy Spirit will become especially important. The lamps here represent God's word, for as scripture says, "Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105). The oil represents the Holy Spirit, sent to illuminate God's word and reveal it, not just to believers individually but to entire churches collectively, through the spiritual gifts in operation among congregations.
This is very evidently the means by which early congregations were receiving revelation from God, as is apparent from what the apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians:

What is it, then, brothers? Whenever you may come together, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. If anyone with a tongue speaks, [let it be] by two or the most three, and in succession, and let one interpret. And if there is no interpreter, let him be silent in the church, but let him speak to himself and God. And let prophets speak two or three, and let the others discern. And if anything should be revealed to another sitting by, let the first one be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and be exhorted. (1 Corinthians 14:26-31)

Because of the great darkness of the times, the wise will "take oil wit their lamps," i.e. they understand their need to continue praying incessantly so as to continue to operate in the spiritual gifts, so that the Spirit can continue shinning light on their path in the darkness. In the natural, trimming a lamp draws the oil up from the storage reservoir so that it burns cleanly and brightly, and creates the highest flame possible, thus providing the most light.

In a state of growing darkness and desperation, the foolish will say to those who still have oil in their lamps, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." But it is next to impossible for those who practice gifts of prophecy, tongues, revelation and interpretation to impart these things to congregations who have grown spiritually cold and distant from God. The anointing within those "on fire" for God would likewise begin dying out in the process of waiting for the foolish to even begin developing a lifestyle of incessant prayer, which is only the first step in beginning to walk in the gifts of the Spirit. Hence the reply of, "Not so, lest there not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell, and buy for yourselves." In other words, "Go to God in prayer for it yourselves."
The problem, however, will be that during this time of increasing anxiety and fear, renewing intimacy with God will be very difficult for those who have not trained themselves to this type of lifestyle already. And because of their lack of intimacy with Christ, they will subsequently not be ready for His return. That the parable says they will return later, presumably with "oil" in their lamps, only to be told by the Lord "Truly I do not know you" suggests that the spiritual anointing they will acquire will be from the Devil. This is evident in the very similar wording He used to describe what He will say on the Day of Judgment to those who practiced demonic gifts in His name:

Not everyone who says unto Me, "Lord, Lord" shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in Heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many works of power?" And I will swear unto them, "I never knew you. Depart from Me, workers of lawlessness." (Matthew 7:21-23)

Thus, Jesus was prophetically warning the disciples in particular not to let the Holy Spirit, which would be poured out upon them like tongues of fire at Pentecost, become extinguished. The Spirit would be the source by which they continued to receive prophetic light from God up until the time of His return. And as bridesmaids, they would need to continue ministering light to His bride, so that when the Bridegroom came she would be able to "see" Him coming, and be fully prepared to meet Him.

The Parable Of The Talents

In context, this next parable is a continuation of the first one. Jesus initially compared the disciples to stewards whom He would leave in charge of His household, to feed them spiritual food in due time. Here, he expands this teaching to specify what would enable them to do so. As explained in Part 1, this parable ends with the words, "For unto everyone who has shall more be given, and he shall have an abundance. But from him who does not have, even what little he has shall be taken from him." In other words, it was essential that they increase in what Jesus referred to as "the true riches" (Luke 16:11). As Jesus would also teach, "to whom much is given, much will be expected," and if any of them shirked their responsibilities as stewards over the household of God, again came a similar warning as in the initial parable: They would be assigned their portion in Hell with the hypocrites, where there would be "weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Again, [the kingdom of Heaven] will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two talents, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five talents more. So also, the one with two talents gained two more. But the man who had received one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his lord's money.
After a long time the lord of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received five talents brought the other five, saying, "Lord, you delivered unto me five talents. Behold, I have gained five more."
His Lord said unto him, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord!"
And having come, the one given two talents said, "Lord, you delivered unto me two talents. Behold, I have gained two more."
His Lord said unto him, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord!"
But having come, the one who had received one talent said, "Lord, I knew that you were a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not scatter seed. And being fearful, having gone I went and hid your talent in the ground. Behold, you have what is yours."
His lord replied, "You wicked and lazy servant! You knew that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not scattered seed? Then you should have put my silver on deposit with the bankers, and then having come I would have received mine own with interest."
"Therefore, take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents. For unto everyone who has shall [more] be given, and he shall have an abundance. But from him who does not have, even what [little] he has shall be taken from him. And cast into outer darkness the useless servant. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:15-30)

To explain again the details of this parable, the "talents" referred to here were not things the disciples were good at. The talent was a unit of measure in the ancient world equal to about 71 pounds in weight. Thus, a talent of silver would have been worth about $17,000 on today's market. But here the talents of silver represented being entrusted with the true riches of revelation from God. As Jesus said, each man would be given revelation "according to his ability." Not all men have the same mental capacities, but all would be expected to grow in proportion to the ability they had been given by God. Those who used "fearing" Him as the excuse for why they neglected this responsibility would prove themselves liars and "hypocrites," as stated in the first parable. The wicked servant was simply trying to cover for the fact that he was spiritually lazy.

The Parable Of The Lambs And The Goats

Lastly, Jesus added the following allegory to come full circle, and drive home the point He had been trying to communicate to His disciples from the start: At His return, each of them would be held accountable for how well they fulfilled their responsibility of feeding His household spiritually:

When the Son of man comes in His glory, and all the angels are with Him, then will He sit upon the throne of His glory. And all the nations shall be gathered before Him, and He will separate them from one another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep on His right hand, and the goats on His left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, "Come, you who have been blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom that has been prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I hungered, and you gave Me food to eat. I thirsted, and you gave Me water to drink. I was a stranger, and you took Me in. I was naked, and you clothed Me. I was sick, and you visited Me. I was sin prison, and you came to Me."
Then the righteous will answer, saying, "Lord, when did we see You hungering, and fed you? Or thirsting, and gave You drink? When did we see You a stranger, and took You in? Or naked, and clothed You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and came to You?" And having answered, the King will say to them, "Truly I say to you, in as much as you did it to one of these, the least of My brethren, you did it unto Me."
Then He will say also to those on His left, "Depart from Me, those who have been cursed, into the eternal fire that has been prepared for the Devil and His angels. For I hungered, and you gave Me nothing to eat. I thirsted, and you gave Me nothing to drink. I was a stranger, and you did not take Me in. I was naked, and you did not clothe Me. I was sick and in prison, and you did not visit Me." Then they also will answer Him, saying, "Lord, when did we see you hungering, or thirsting, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to You?" Then He will answer them, saying, "Truly I say unto you, in as much as you did it not to one of the least of these, neither did you do it to Me." And these shall go away unto eternal punishment, but the righteous unto eternal life. (Matthew 25:31-46)

While also true in the natural, in the context of the three parables Jesus just taught, what was most important to the Lord was that the disciples minister spiritual food and drink to His household, welcome into His household the Gentiles, who would be spiritual strangers, see that His household became clothed in the spiritual clothing of the Spirit of God, and minister to prisoners who were in spiritual bondage of sin. These spiritual applications are similar to Jesus own description of His ministry when He quoted from the Book of Isaiah:

And there was given unto Him the Book of the prophet Isaiah. And having opened the book He found the place where it was written, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, wherefore He has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor, He has sent me to proclaim deliverance to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to send forth in deliverance those who are oppressed, to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord. (Luke 4:17-19)

Thus, the ministry of the disciples was to be a continuation of Christ's ministry, characterized first and foremost by meeting the spiritual needs of His people. And judging by the fact that eternal punishment would in every parable and allegory be the reward of those who neglected to do so, it is clear that our Lord wanted the disciples to take this responsibility very, very seriously.

A Word Of Encouragement To Future Leaders

Whereas the parables in Mark 4 applied to believers in general, those Jesus taught here in Matthew 24-25 were specifically addressed to His disciples. But because they all dealt specifically with the subject of Christ's return, they were addressed even more so to everyone who will assume leadership over His people during the end-times.
What this means is we now need a whole new class of leadership. The church is presently starving to death for true spiritual food, as the Spirit of God has been making clear through visions and dreams. That the church would be reduced to spiritual starvation was also prophesied in the Book of Joel long ago. Demons, here likened to "caterpillars, locusts, and cankerworms," have slowly eaten away at the accurate teachings of the church to the point that there is now very little left of any value. God's call is that those aspiring to positions of leadership in His end-time church give themselves to prayer and fasting, and weep and lament for Him to restore true spiritual food to His people. When they do, He will again begin sending an army of true leaders amongst His people, empowered by the same Holy Spirit He sent amongst them during New Testament times:

The word of the Lord which came to Joel, the son of Bathuel. "Hear these words, you elders... The leavings of the caterpillar has the locust eaten, and the leavings of the locust has the palmerworm eaten, and the leavings of the palmerworm has the cankerworm eaten... the harvest has perished from off the field."
"Therefore," says the Lord your God, "turn to Me now with all your heart, and with fasting and weeping and lamentation. Rend your hearts and not your garments, and turn to the Lord your God… and because of the years which the locust, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, and the cankerworm have eaten, I shall recompense unto you My great army, which I sent among you. And you shall eat abundantly and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God for the things He has wonderfully wrought among you… I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions. And I will pour out My Spirit upon My servants and My handmaidens in those days. And I will show wonders in the heaven and on earth, blood and fire and vapor of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and glorious Day of the Lord comes." (Joel 1:1, 4, 10, 2:12-13, 25-31 LXX)

Reader, even if you should not believe yourself to be educated or "gifted" enough to become an accurate teacher of God's word, understand something: All that is truly necessary is that you pray for the Holy Spirit to grant you revelation concerning the scriptures. If you do so, He will both begin revealing truths to your spirit in study, but also begin directing you to teachers through whom you can receive accurate teaching. You will find yourself increasingly able to discern truth from falsehood in what you hear, through the inner witness of the Holy Spirit guiding you. But never forget that the key is to seek Him. There have been many who sought to understand the scriptures by relying primarily upon men, or their own intellectual prowess, only to fail miserably because they never truly sought out the Author of Scripture Himself. This is a grave mistake, for as Paul clearly told the Colossians, "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Him."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was asked to teach an adult class on the Parable of the talents (described as bags of gold in the NIV), so I developed some questions and would like your answers and comments:

Interestingly Bible uses word talent.

“…To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one; to each according to his own ability. Then he went on his journey….”
Matt. 25:15

Talent can mean money, or gift, ability to do something well. Person who had 5 talents may have had 5 abilities. And when he used them well, other people could have learned also them and then those could have also pad it forward. When person does good thing, it can cause good spiral. When other gets nice thing, he may also do nice thing for someone else and that way nice things multiply.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow, thank you @Hidden In Him!

I have also drawn references here to The Day of The Father (The Rock in Daniel 2/Zion/New Jerusalem).

Nice!.. The parable describes how while Jesus is in heaven before His triumphant return to earth (verse 31), He has left His kingdom in the charge of His disciples (including those of us who have operated in His name down to the present day). There is a parallel of this passage in Luke 19:11-27 that contains useful details not present in the account of Matthew.
We are entrusted with The Kingdom itself! Jesus authorised His disciples to tread snakes and scorpions, heal the sick, cleanse lepers and raise the dead, making disciples of all nations. This is how the disciples were operating as they established the church, but as the false teachers came in (2 Peter 2:1-3 & Matthew 13:24-30) with destructive heresies, it became apparent that before The Day of The Father would come (Matthew 21:40), a great apostasy would occur (2 Thessalonians 2:3).
Did one servant get a talent of gold, the next a talent of silver and the third a talent of copper?
Ephesians 4:7, Luke 7:47 and 1 Corinthians 6:20 come to mind.
Did one get some land, the next get some sheep and the third got a fish boat?
I suppose it could be useful to some audiences, to illustrate the parable this way.
Did the Master “gift” these servants with money, so it is their money?
It seems quite clear in the story that they expected the nobleman to return, and thus to demand his dues (see again Matthew 21:40). Even the one who hid the talent demonstrated that he felt responsible to return it without loss.
In the Kingdom of God what would be used as the measure of wealth and the medium of exchange (money)?
I suppose if one word is sufficient, that would be "authority".
What “ability” is the master talking about?
Personal resources .. character, skill, status etc.
Do they have different abilities: one is a farmer, another fisherman and another shepherd?
Of course every person is unique :)
As the money grows in their possession would their “ability” also have to grow?
As we experience of life, every moment brings potential to grow stronger or weaker (Romans 5:3-5 vs Hebrews 10:37-39), and opportunities of good and bad fortune (blessing vs curse). Hebrews 11:6 and Hebrews 10:38-39 shows that we must keep growing, to support God's achievement through us, of Matthew 21:44. This is to keep the greatest commandment of all: that we love The Lord with all our heart, soul and strength.
Since there is the same kind of money given to the servants, just different quantities, would that mean every Christian has this same ability at different portions?
It does in fact seem possible, but not ours to control. A view of 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 corresponding to John 15:2 shows that indeed, we are no more than His instruments in the world (Romans 12:1, Romans 9:19-24).
What “ability” is truly ours to begin with, so we all bring this one ability to the relationship with God/Christ?
The only answer I can think of, is John 15:13. But, of course, we know that only Jesus Christ has ever had the right to do this (John 10:18, Romans 6:23a, John 14:30).
John 6:29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” Can the nonbeliever bring anything more?
Even so, a non-believer cannot bring themselves to believe, it is for God to bring them, if they are willing (consider John 10:38 & John 3:20-21). People do not believe these days because there is a lack of works, because we have now the result of 2,000 years of those destructive heresies in 2 Peter 2:1. Even Christians are not surprised when they are taught to believe such faithlessness as "no one possesses the gift of healing today"! Brother bling, it has to be said, that Jeremiah 9:6-9 clearly speaks against the popular Christianity of our times!
The Money grows

Is there any indication in this parable the money could be lost with use?

Are the servants putting the master’s money at risk, is there any down side possibility?
It only stands to reason, but no example is given of that having happened.
If the “money” is some physical talent of gift given to a Christian could that be lost over time?
This is hypothetical insofar as it applies to The Kingdom of God (thus it is a limit of the parable's application to reality), and requires that the servant is able to act destructively against The Kingdom when in actual fact, The Kingdom, Power and Glory belong to God forever and ever. This hypothetical situation would show that God is not sovereign over His servants, and that His servants have a power to destroy His kingdom. I do not believe that is a realistic view.
Would it have been easier for the third servant to just turn the money over to some money changers than it would be to sneak around, dig a whole at night, remember where the money was hidden and worry about someone else finding the money?
When I read this, I picture a Christian who goes to his work 9-5 but never evangelises. The others, however, maybe they did some street preaching or ministry to the needy etc, to make gain for The Kingdom. What I read Jesus as saying, is "you should have directed people to the church that they could have been saved", hence he is called lazy and wicked.
Can we goof-off as Christians and still please the master by having others grow his money?
I guess, if one's end is to be as Matthew 25:30.
Hope (Desired Expectation)

Did the first two servants have hope of the Master’s return?
It does seem so! Whether with joy or fear, they were responsible and forthcoming to show what they had achieved.
Did the third servant hope for the Master’s return?
No, he was snapped out and had to make up an excuse.
How should we feel about Christ’s return?
It depends how we have lived (Matthew 25:46, Daniel 12:2, John 3:18, 1 Corinthians 3:14-15).
Old people in poor health can be ready to die, but are they prepared to die?
This word "prepared" seems to have much similarity to "ready" - do you mean to ask whether they are willing to die, or can you please explain better the contrast between these words?
A Spiritual Understanding of the Parable

All Christians are gifted with Love as a result of being forgiven (Luke 7) thus own that portion of Love, but are they also stewards of a portion of God’s Love to be used in the Market?
Referring to Luke 7:47-48, we see that we love the one who forgives us, because they were graceful and merciful to us. They have purchased our adoration by their suffering. Yet this does not necessarily produce a love that extends to our fellow man, because we did not necessarily receive from them a gift to win our adoration. Rather, our love for fellow man has to come from some other means, which in a Christian sense, comes through the restoration of our original nature (the image of God) through repenting of our sinfulness and thereby cultivating a more godly quality of service (see Matthew 9:36).
Love and Faith seem to go together, so if “faith” is man’s ability is God’s Love given in proportion to that faith?
It seems to me from what I presently understand, that you may have mistakenly associated love and faith where they are not necessarily related. St. Paul speaks of the possibility of having faith to move mountains, yet love being separate from it, and we do know that humans do have love even if they don't have faith.
If we take God’s Love to the market place (the world of people) with our portion of faith, will it automatically grow with use and is there any risk of it being lost?
According to John 15:2, there is apparently a risk of failure.
If a person just extends God’s Love to other Christians who can grow God’s Love, will that person’s God Love that he/she is a steward of, grow?
If that one is skillful at liberating love in others rather than provoking them to sin!
Can the Love God has entrusted each of us with, continue to grow with us all the way to our death bed?
Yes, I do believe so! I have seen it too :crosseo:
Interesting Tidbits

The servant with ten bags gold is given the bag of gold of the unfaithful servant and it is not divided up or just kept by the Master, so what could this be about in the kingdom?
Profitability.
How did the faith (ability) of the ten bag of gold servant grow with the unfaithful servant going to hell?
A more productive Kingdom.
What could the “being in charge of many things” represent?
See Matthew 21:38 and Matthew 21:43, showing that the whole estate is to be reallocated (ie Matthew 21:33).
The Master said: “So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?” So what is that talking about if God is in control?
In Luke 19:22, Jesus says that He will judge the man by his own words. I read this with Jesus' expression being that the wicked servant had lied to justify his laziness, mischaracterising Jesus as one who reaps where He does not sow. We know His words are "I am Alpha and Omega" and "The farmer sowed good seed in his field". The account of Matthew seems to omit this detail, lending to the possibility of mistakenly believing that Jesus is reaping another's crop. In fact, Jesus said that the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy, and He draws this judgement against the religious leaders of John 8:44, to say that The Kingdom of God will be reassigned to worthy workers (Matthew 21:43).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Question: Is there any indication in this parable the money could be lost with use?
Answer: Most assuredly there is, and this is an excellent question. Yes, this suggestion is implicit in a previous parable, and as you will see they are all treated together.
This sounds interesting, .. I wonder if you could quote the passage you have in mind for me? Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This sounds interesting, .. I wonder if you could quote the passage you have in mind for me? Thank you :)

You know, that's the one thing the Spirit reminded me was a little vague and misleading, but I thought nobody would pick up on it, so I didn't worry about it. WRONG. Ha!

It's a reference, not to the "previous parable" in Matthew 24-25, but a previous parable quoted in Part 1 of this two part study (specifically Mark 4:14-15), when I was quoting and explaining all the parables in Mark 4 in the same context.

If you'd like, I can go get Part 1 and post that study as well, since they kinda go together.

Thanks for noticing, btw. I'll have to remember I can't put anything past you. :)

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You know, that's the one thing the Spirit reminded me was a little vague and misleading, but I thought nobody would pick up on it, so I didn't worry about it. WRONG. Ha!

It's a reference, not to the "previous parable" in Matthew 24-25, but a previous parable quoted in Part 1 of this two part study (specifically Mark 4:14-15), when I was quoting and explaining all the parables in Mark 4 in the same context.

If you'd like, I can go get Part 1 and post that study as well, since they kinda go together.
Yes please! I have enjoyed your gifts. I'm particularly interested to see support for your idea that "there most assuredly is an indication the [money] could be lost with use" - if you would highlight that for me that I should clearly see it :)

Thank you :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes please! I have enjoyed your gifts. I'm particularly interested to see support for your idea that "there most assuredly is an indication the [money] could be lost with use" - if you would highlight that for me that I should clearly see it :)

Ok, I only focused slightly on the taking away, but it is nevertheless mentioned a few times here. I underlined with weak highlight verses and sentences that apply, and bolded the one statement/verse that I think especially does apply to your question. So read that one and we can discuss it further.

All Wisdom And Revelation Is Hidden In Christ Jesus, Part 1

Most Christian preaching today arises merely from tradition. Rarely do you hear anyone share genuine revelation from God, and if you do, what is usually touted as a "revelation" often turns out to be little more than spurious nonsense. But during New Testament times this was not at all the case. The Spirit of God was revealing mysteries to the church. This is made clear by what Paul wrote to the Corinthians in his first letter:

We speak wisdom amongst the mature, only not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are [in the process of] being deposed. But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery which has been hidden, which God preordained for our glory before time, which none of the rulers of this age had known, for if they had known it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But just as has been written, "Eye has not seen nor ear heard, nor has it at all entered into the heart of man the things God has prepared for those who love Him." But God revealed them unto us by His Spirit, for the Spirit searches into all things, even the deepest plans of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? So also no one knew the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. And we have received not the spirit of the world but the Spirit from God, that we might know what has been granted unto us by God. (1 Corinthians 2:6-12)

As Paul stated clearly here, the Spirit was searching into the deepest mysteries and plans of God, and revealing them to His saints. This is why Paul also told the Corinthians that Christ had been made unto them wisdom from God (1 Corinthians 1:30). As a result of their faith in Christ, the Spirit of God was being poured out upon the early church, the same Spirit Christ Himself promised would lead them into all truth (1 John 2:27), and reveal to them the mysteries of God.
Thus, Paul likewise now told the Colossians how God desired to make known to them the mysteries of God, specifically here the mystery of Christ within them, their hope of glory. That they would come to a full recognition of this mystery is what Paul was continually praying for, agonizing in the Spirit with inexpressible groanings:

God wished to make known what the abundance of the glory of this mystery is amongst the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, whom we preach, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man perfected in Him, unto which I also labor [in prayer], agonizing in accord with His supernatural energy, which manifests within me in power. For I want you to know what great agonizing I sustain on your behalf, and those in Laodicea, and as many as have not seen my face in the flesh, that their hearts, having been united together in love, might also be exhorted to attain unto all the abundance of assurance that comes through understanding, [and] attain to a recognition of the mystery of God, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (Colossians 1:28-2:3)

Part of understanding this mystery involved recognizing that the Gentiles had been made joint-heirs with Christ, and partakers of eternal life with Him, specifically because they had been made members of the same body in Him through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. As Paul would tell the Ephesians:

By revelation it was made known unto me the mystery... which in other generations was not made known unto the sons of men, as is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit, that the Gentiles should be fellow-heirs, and of the same body, and fellow-partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. (Ephesians 3:3, 5-6)

But in Colossians he went a step further, adding that in Christ were hidden "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge," the implication being that because they were now members of the body of Christ through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, they now had access to all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Properly understood, virtually no revelation would be withheld from them if they sought it from God through the Spirit. They had been given the mind of Christ, and therefore all the mysteries of God could now be revealed to the church, something God preordained in advance for their glory.
How sad that most believers today struggle to understand even basic scripture, and rely on others to explain it to them. And in most cases, their leaders cannot explain it to them accurately either, since they were raised on their own traditions rather than being taught to seek genuine revelation from the Spirit themselves. As a result, Satan has duped the church into a terrible state of spiritual blindness. It is time for the church to again wake up to the fact that, whether corporately or individually as believers, we have access to all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge that are hidden in Christ.

Mysteries Were Being Revealed To The Churches

Lest anyone argue that the Lord only wished to reveal the mysteries of God to His apostles and prophets, our text for this study states very clearly that God wished to make known the glory of the mystery of God among the Gentiles (Colossians 1:28). This is also confirmed by what Paul was trying to communicate to the Corinthians when he advised them that walking in love was the most important thing:

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I have become as sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And if I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, yet do not have love, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-2)

The Corinthians were practicing speaking in tongues and prophecy. It naturally follows, then, that all these abilities Paul mentioned here were possible to the Corinthians, including the possibility of understanding all mysteries, or these words would have been irrelevant to them.
Indeed, a close look at the teachings of Jesus Himself reveals that even the most basic parables were given to believers specifically to reveal the mysteries of God to them. For instance, Jesus told His disciples that the Parable of the Sower was one of several that would reveal the mysteries concerning the kingdom of God to them:

And His disciples asked Him, saying, "What might this parable be about?" And He said, "To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but unto the rest [I speak] in parables, so that in seeing they may not see, and in hearing they may not understand." (Luke 8:9-10)

And having come to Him, His disciples said to Him, "Why do You speak in parables to them?" And having answered, He said to them, "Because to you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven, but to them it has not been given." (Matthew 13:10-11)

As we shall see, in explaining the Parable of the Sower and the parables that followed, Jesus was very clearly trying to communicate to His disciples was the paramount importance of growing in revelation from God.

Growth In Revelation: Limited Only By The Believer

And He was teaching them many things in parables, and saying to them in His teaching, "Listen. Behold, a sower went out to sow. And it came to pass that, in sowing, some [seed] fell near the path, and the birds came and devoured it. And some fell on stony ground where it did not have much earth, and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth. But when the sun arose it was scorched, and because it did not have much root it withered away. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it did not yield fruit. Yet another [seed] fell into good ground and was yielding fruit, growing up and increasing, and bearing [fruit] in thirty, and sixty, and one hundred fold increments." And He said to them, "Whoever has ears to hear, let him hear." (Mark 4:2-9)

Despite what is commonly taught, this parable is not about the superficial, watered down presentation of "the gospel" as it is understood today. Rather, it is a parable about the growth of ever-increasing revelation within believers regarding the mysteries of the kingdom. The amount of revelation each received concerning the mysteries of God would be limited only by the believer himself.
Starting with Jesus' explanation of the Parable of the Sower, as recorded in Mark:

And He said to them… "The sower sows the word. And these are the seeds where the word is being sown by the pathway, and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word having been sown into them. And these are in like manner the seeds being sown upon the rocky ground, who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy, yet have no root in themselves but are temporary. Then, with affliction and persecution having arisen because of the word, immediately they are scandalized. And these are the seeds being sown among the thorns. These are the ones hearing the word, yet the anxieties of this age, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in, choke out the word, and it becomes unfruitful. And these are the seeds having been sown upon the good ground, such as hear the word and receive it, and bring forth fruit in thirty, and sixty, and one hundredfold increments." (Mark 4:14-20)

Unfortunately, most were like the seed sown by the path, i.e. they were like hard, unreceptive ground. The birds of the air here represented demons, who were constantly seeking to hinder souls from hearing the truth and receiving revelation. This is why even today many encounter distractions when trying to read strong material, or when being witnessed to in public. It's no accident when the phone immediately starts ringing, "friends" pass by, or a dozen other potential distractions begin occurring.
Sadly, many willfully allow themselves to be hindered from growing in revelation, such as was also the case with the next two groups. Some would not be able to endure the intense heat of persecution, whereas others would allow the concerns of this life, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things to greatly limit the amount of attention they devoted to growing in the word. As a result, the word would be choked out. But some of the seed would fall on good soil that produced thirty, sixty and one hundred fold.
Thirty, sixty, and one hundred fold of what exactly? If the "seed" represented the word of God at the start of this parable, i.e. revelation concerning the mysteries of the kingdom, it only follows that the seed produced by the good soil represent the exact same thing: A thirty, sixty, and one hundredfold increase in revelation concerning the mysteries. God's will was that the saints minister to one another by growing in revelation to the place where they began planting seed into others as well, who likewise became new "ground" for the seed to grow within.
The Lord then added several more parables to make this point even more clear:

And He was saying to them, "Is a lamp brought that it may be put under bushel basket, or under a bed, and not that it may be placed on a lamp stand? For nothing is hidden which shall not be made manifest, nor is anything kept secret but that it should come to light. If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear. (Mark 4:21-23)

Jesus was telling them here that HE was the light of the world, and had been sent by God to be "placed on a lamp stand," i.e. lifted up as the source of all spiritual light. If the disciples only turned to Him, He would grant them revelation concerning all things, so much so that nothing that was hidden would not be made manifest, and nothing that had been kept secret would not be brought to light. The only limitations to their receiving revelation would be the ones they placed upon themselves.

"To Him Who Has, More Will Be Given. But... "

However, there was also a warning that came with this opportunity. As Jesus taught in the Parable of the Sower, the Devil would seek to keep them from receiving revelation by stealing away the word, or causing it to whither under persecution, or choking it out through anxieties and the desires for other things. Thus, those who allowed Satan to lure them into neglecting to take advantage of the opportunity Christ was giving them would face judgment for it:

And He was saying to them, "Give attentiveness to what you hear. With whatever measure you use it shall be measured to you, and unto you that hear shall more be given. For whoever may have, to him shall [more] be given. But whoever does not have, from him shall be taken away even what he has." (Mark 4:24-25)

Again, the context here was that they now had the opportunity for all the mysteries of the kingdom of God to be revealed to them. How much they received from God depended entirely on them. If they set the measure high and were diligent to keep asking God for it, they would receive abundance of revelation, so they were not to limit themselves by setting this bar too low out of a lack of self-confidence before God.
But there was also a grave responsibility involved here. Christ was giving them a great opportunity to grow in unlimited revelation from God. But if they neglected to do so, they risked coming under judgment for spiritual laziness. Jesus explained this in another parable, often referred to as the Parable of the Talents:

Again, [the kingdom of Heaven] will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two talents, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five talents more. So also, the one with two talents gained two more. But the man who had received one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his lord's money.
After a long time the Lord of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. The man who had received five talents brought the other five, saying, "Lord, you delivered unto me five talents. Behold, I have gained five more."
And having come, the one given two talents said, "Lord, you delivered unto me two talents. Behold, I have gained two more."
But having come, the one who had received one talent said, "Lord, I knew that you were a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not scatter seed. And being fearful, having gone I went and hid your talent in the ground. Behold, you have what is yours."
His Lord replied, "You wicked and lazy servant! You knew that I reaped where I did not sow and gathered where I did not scattered seed? Then you should have put my silver on deposit with the bankers, and then having come I would have received mine own with interest."
"Therefore, take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents. For unto everyone who has shall [more] be given, and he shall have an abundance. But from him who does not have, even what [little] he has shall be taken from him. And cast into outer darkness the useless servant. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:15-30)

As will be explained even more clearly in Part 2, this parable was not about gifts or "talents." It was about the responsibility believers, especially the disciples, would have of increasing in revelation from God. This is why it likewise ends with the words, "For unto everyone who has shall more be given, and he shall have an abundance. But from him who does not have, even what little he has shall be taken from him." The talent was a unit of measure in ancient times equal to about 71 pounds in weight. By today's standards, a talent of silver would be worth roughly $17,000. But the money in this parable represented being entrusted by God with something far more valuable in His eyes: What Jesus described as "the true riches," i.e. revelation granted by God through His Spirit. Each man was to increase in it "according to his ability," which is why all were given different amounts, yet all were expected to grow in it in proportion to what they had been given.

The Extent To Which God Wanted The Word To Grow

In the next parable, Jesus yet again made it abundantly clear to the disciples that the responsibility to grow in revelation was entirely theirs, not God's:

And He was saying, "Thus is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed upon the earth, and should sleep and rise night and day, and the seed should sprout and arise in length, [exactly] how he does not know. For the earth brings forth fruit of itself, first the blade, then the ear, then the full wheat seed within the head of grain. And when the fruit delivers itself up, immediately he sends in the sickle, for the harvest has come." (Mark 4:26-29)

In the Parable of the Sower, Jesus was the man casting seed upon the earth, and the earth represented the believer. Thus, the statement that "the earth brings forth fruit of itself" meant that the responsibility for growing in revelation rested entirely with the believer. After planting seed in the earth, the Lord of the harvest would sleep day and night, waiting patiently for the ground itself to bring forth the fruit, until it was time to put in the sickle and reap the harvest.
What is especially interesting about this parable is that it insinuates the Lord is not looking for a harvest of believers so much as for a harvest of His word, i.e. revelation concerning the kingdom of Heaven, which will grow until it increases to such a level that the Lord finally decides it's time to send in the angels to reap.
The Lord was not done, however. The next parable would illustrate how much He intended for the word to grow. Here Jesus was prophesying that revelation within His growing church would eventually become so great that even the angels of God would be taught the mysteries of the kingdom through His people:

And He was saying, "To what shall we liken the kingdom of God? Or with what parable shall we compare it? It is as a grain of mustard seed, which, when it has been sown on the earth is less than all the seeds on the earth. Yet when it has been sown, it grows up and becomes greater than all the herbs, and produces great branches, such that the birds of Heaven are able to lodge beneath its shade." (Mark 4:30-32)

The "grain of mustard seed" represented Christ, the Word of God Himself, the implication being that through His body, the church, the Word would eventually grow to such size that the angels of God would be able to "lodge beneath its shade," i.e. be ministered to. In the Parable of the Sower, the birds represented Satan and his angels, who came to steal the word away. Here, the birds represented the angels of God, who were charged with watching over the church as guardians. Because the spiritual gifts would be in operation in the churches, and therefore God Himself would be granting revelation through Divine utterance, the angels of God would be receiving revelation indirectly from their Creator through the church.
This is what the apostle Paul was referring to in his letter to the Ephesians:

To me, less than the least of all the saints, was given this grace to proclaim the gospel to the Gentiles, the incomprehensible riches of Christ, and to bring to light what the administration of this mystery is which has been hidden in God from [previous] ages, He having created us all, so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known [even] unto principalities and authorities in the heavens through the church, in accordance with the eternal purpose which He purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Ephesians 3:8-11)

Lest anyone assume the angels already know all the mysteries of God, the scriptures do not teach this. The prophet Daniel recorded witnessing one angel asking another when and for how long the prophecies revealed to him concerning the Antichrist would take place. A second angel could only tell him it would be for "a time, times, and half a time," i.e. three and a half years, and that it would take place when the power of the holy people was finally broken. Yet when Daniel asked essentially the same questions, he was informed that these mysteries were still "sealed," meaning neither he nor the angels of God were permitted to know them yet:

“At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then... Then I, Daniel, looked, and there before me stood two [angels], one on this bank of the river and one on the opposite bank. One of them said to the one clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, “How long will it be before these astonishing things are fulfilled?” The one clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, lifted his right and his left hand toward heaven, and I heard him swear by Him who lives forever, saying, “It will be for a time, times, and half a time. When the power of the holy people has finally been broken, all these things will be fulfilled.” I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, “My Lord, when will the end of all this be?” He replied, “Go your way, Daniel, because the words are rolled up and sealed until the time of the end. Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand." (Daniel 12:1, 5-10)

In referring to this passage, the apostle Peter likewise testified that the Spirit was now revealing to the churches prophecies which the angels themselves had long desired to understand:

...for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls, regarding which salvation the prophets, having prophesied of the grace predestined for you, undertook research and investigation, searching into the time and circumstances the Spirit of Christ within them was disclosing when He testified beforehand of the sufferings [to take place] until the coming of Christ, and the glories [to follow] afterwards, to whom it was revealed that not to themselves but to you they were ministering these prophesies, which have now been conveyed unto you by those having preached the gospel to you through the Holy Spirit sent from Heaven, [prophecies] which angels desire to look into. (1 Peter 1:9-13)

These Parables Would Reach Fulfillment In the End-Times

Do these parables still relate to us today, insinuating that we still have the responsibility to increase in revelation from God? More than ever. As is evident, these parables related to the end-time harvest. In the Parable of the Farmer, Jesus said, "Thus is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed upon the earth... and when the fruit delivers itself up, immediately he sends in the sickle, for the harvest has come." So, too, in the Parable of the Talents, Jesus stated early in the story, "After a long time the Lord of those servants returned, and settled accounts with them." Thus, it is a parable about what will take place when He settles accounts with His servants at His second coming.
So also should it be understood that, whereas scripture refers to the two outpourings of the Holy Spirit as the "former and latter rain," in Israel the former rain served the purpose of watering the ground so the seed could be planted. Yet it was only after the latter rains came that the real growth took place, produced the fruit, and brought about the harvest. In the spiritual, this means the time when the word of God will grow most in the earth is still years ahead of us.
So should congregations as well as individual believers be increasing in revelation from God now, even before the latter rains finally come? Most certainly. As I teach repeatedly, when New Testament times believers gathered together, they each brought teachings and revelations from God. Rather than letting one man or woman do all the talking, they were all edifying one another in the word. We will not return to living out true Christianity until we return to doing so ourselves:

What is it, then, brothers? Whenever you may come together, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. (1 Corinthians 14:26)

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Parable of the Talents

The parable of the Talents (Mt 25:14-28) is about a servant who acts honorably by burying money given in trust, courageously denouncing an exploitive master, and as a result is consigned to extinction for his audacity.

Most people understand the story as Matthew has (cf. Lk 19:12-24). But his concluding editorial, "To all those who have, more will be given, but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away" is at odds with everything else Jesus says on the subject of haves and have-nots (Mk 10:25/Mt 19:24/Lk 18:25; Mt 6:19-21/Lk 12:33-34; Mt 19:30; Mt 20:16; Lk 6:24; Lk 16:19-31); and Jesus was obviously no capitalist. Matthew's editorial implies that the first two servants are the heroes of the story, which Jewish peasants would have found outrageous.(1)

As Richard Rohrbaugh and William Herzog have demonstrated -- though in very different ways, as we will see -- the third servant is the hero of this parable, because he acted honorably and refused to participate in the rapacious schemes of the master. Contrast with the agenda of the first two servants:

"First things first: the master's initial investment must be secured, then doubled; after that, the retainers can make their profit. They are always walking a tightrope, keeping the master's gain high enough to appease his greed and not incur his wrath while keeping their own accumulations of wealth small enough not to arouse suspicion yet lucrative enough to insure their future. The master knows the system too, and as long as the retainers keep watch of his interests and maintain a proper yield, he does not begrudge their gains. In fact, he stands to gain a great deal by encouraging the process. Not only do the retainers do his dirty work, exploiting others for profit, but they siphon off anger that would otherwise be directed at him." (Herzog, Parables as Subversive Speech, p 160).

The first two servants do exactly as expected of them, doubling the master's money and presumably making some "honest graft" on the side, as all retainers did in agrarian empires. But the third servant acts completely out of character -- this alone is the tip-off that he will be the story's hero -- by digging a hole and burying the master's money to keep it intact, acting in accordance with Jewish law.(2)

When the master (naturally) rewards the two servants, the third servant acts stunningly by blowing the whistle on him (as Herzog puts it), while at the same time giving him back the money he had buried in trust: "Master, I know that you are a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, gathering where you did not scatter." This retainer says what every peasant has always wanted to say.

An alternate version of this parable was preserved in the Gospel of the Nazorenes (now lost), reported by Eusebius. Here the third servant is accepted with joy, while the other two are condemned. In "A Peasant Reading of the Talents/Pounds", Rohrbaugh notes the chiastic structure:

The master had three servants:

A one who squandered his master’s substance with harlots and flute girls
B one who multiplied the gain
C and one who hid the talent;

and accordingly,

C’ one was accepted with joy
B’ another merely rebuked
A’ and another cast into prison.

(Eusebius, Theophania; from Hennecke & Schneemelcher, New Testament Apocrypha 1:149)

Though I'm eternally suspicious of arguments based on chiastic structures, this one is powerful. Here we have an ancient author who rejected the Matthean judgment on the third servant, while modern critics insist on vilifying him.

Like many of Jesus' parables, the Talents ends on dark ambiguity. "The whistle-blower is no fool," says Herzog. "He realizes that he will pay a price, but he has decided to accept the cost (p 167)." The question is who his friends are after banishment. Will peasants acknowledge and respect his honorable course of action, or would the fact that he was a retainer make such meeting of the minds impossible? Listeners are left pondering the fate of an unlikely hero.

Endnotes

1. The ways in which critics have followed Matthew's (and Luke's) demonizing of the third servant are astounding. C.H. Dodd thinks that the third servant's "overcaution" and "cowardice" led to a breach in trust. T.W. Manson believes that the punishment for the third servant's "neglected opportunity" was a complete "deprivation of opportunity". Dan Via says the third servant's "refusal to take risks" led to repressed guilt and the loss of opportunity for any meaningful existence. John Donahue thinks that out of "fear of failing", the third servant refused even to try to succeed. The list could go on and on. (See Herzog, p 153.)

2. According to the Mishnah, money could be guarded honorably only by placing it in the earth: M.B. Mes. 3:10; B.B. Mes. 42a.

Bibliography

Eusebius: Theophania (from Hennecke & Schneemelcher, New Testament Apocrypha, Westminster, 1963.)

Herzog, William: Parables as Subversive Speech, Westminster John Knox, 1994.

Malina, Bruce & Rohrbaugh, Richard: Social Science Commentary on the Synoptic Gospels, Second Edition, Augsburg Fortress, 2003.

Rohrbaugh, Richard: "A Peasant Reading of the Talents/Pounds: A Text of Terror", BTB 23:32-39, 1993.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

About this question, technically I should have qualified that the parables taught that the money would be lost through non-use, but while this might be cheating the parable a little to apply it this way, my opening words in Part 1 might go towards explaining to some extent how the money could actually also be lost "through use."
Most Christian preaching today arises merely from tradition. Rarely do you hear anyone share genuine revelation from God, and if you do, what is usually touted as a "revelation" often turns out to be little more than spurious nonsense.

In other words, when scholarship befuddles its own mind with ever-increasing inaccuracies, the truth keeps getting increasingly buried under false interpretation after false interpretation. This might be more specific to your point. Not sure if that's what you were asking.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
About this question, technically I should have qualified that the parables taught that the money would be lost through non-use, but while this might be cheating the parable a little to apply it this way, my opening words in Part 1 might go towards explaining to some extent how the money could actually also be lost "through use."

In other words, when scholarship befuddles its own mind with ever-increasing inaccuracies, the truth keeps getting increasingly buried under false interpretation after false interpretation. This might be more specific to your point. Not sure if that's what you were asking.
Yep, I found what I needed in this :) Your views are very insightful and valuable, and you are a faithful witness for The Lord. I wish it was possible for me to join your bible study group or even to have a good chat with you over coffee! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Thank you, and keep going! :wave:

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, I found what I needed in this :) Your views are very insightful and valuable, and you are a faithful witness for The Lord. I wish it was possible for me to join your bible study group or even to have a good chat with you over coffee! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Thank you, and keep going! :wave:

Well we have right here. :) No coffee, but then I can't have the stuff anymore anyway. I'm glad you like my studies. I don't teach formal studies right now. Those are taken from a website that's not quite finished yet, but may be down the road (God willing). But fellowship here is good with me. I really like this site, and in many ways
We are entrusted with The Kingdom itself! Jesus authorised His disciples to tread snakes and scorpions, heal the sick, cleanse lepers and raise the dead, making disciples of all nations. This is how the disciples were operating as they established the church

Might have to check out soon (no sleep today). But I've enjoyed your posts. The above makes it sound as if we are in agreement to a large extent, at least much more so than with Jack's position. You seem to advocate the "money" being authority in the kingdom, or the kingdom itself. The former we would be in almost complete agreement on, since authority in His word essentially IS authority in His kingdom.

If I do check out for tonight, I'll catch up with this thread tomorrow. If you have any questions or talking points, just post them and we'll have at it. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well we have right here. :) No coffee, but then I can't have the stuff anymore anyway. I'm glad you like my studies. I don't teach formal studies right now. Those are taken from a website that's not quite finished yet, but may be down the road (God willing). But fellowship here is good with me. I really like this site, and in many ways

Might have to check out soon (no sleep today). But I've enjoyed your posts. The above makes it sound as if we are in agreement to a large extent, at least much more so than with Jack's position. You seem to advocate the "money" being authority in the kingdom, or the kingdom itself. The former we would be in almost complete agreement on, since authority in His word essentially IS authority in His kingdom.

If I do check out for tonight, I'll catch up with this thread tomorrow. If you have any questions or talking points, just post them and we'll have at it. :oldthumbsup:
As for authority, I emphasise that the gospel is a bilateral substitution: Jesus gave up His life to purchase ours, and we have lost our life to live for Him. Therefore whenever I speak or act in His name, I am mindful to first seek His bespoke permission. "Blessed are they who are called unto the marriage supper of The Lamb", and "Lo! I am with you even unto the end of the age".

If you'd like to see more detail of the perspective of The Gospel that I am proclaiming, this is a pocket-size booklet that I print and share: Adonai Reigns : The Gospel : God did not send his son to condemn the world!

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly Bible uses word talent.

“…To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one; to each according to his own ability. Then he went on his journey….”
Matt. 25:15

Talent can mean money, or gift, ability to do something well. Person who had 5 talents may have had 5 abilities. And when he used them well, other people could have learned also them and then those could have also pad it forward. When person does good thing, it can cause good spiral. When other gets nice thing, he may also do nice thing for someone else and that way nice things multiply.
First off the Bible does not use "talent" but the Greek word “tálanton”, If you read it in Spanish, German or any other language you would not be drawn to the idea “tálanton” is referring to man's ability. Greek word “tálanton” is used to describe a large quantity of money (like a 50 lbs. bag of gold).

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IMO, everything belongs to God, your life, your possessions, your attributes, etc. and to what extent you use what God has given you is what this parable is about.
If God has given you the ability to easily talk to people you don't know and you don't use it to spread His word, then you are not doing His will.
If these physical "abilities" are taken away from us through illness or and accident do we assume we were not using them correctly?

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did a bunch of studying on the parables last night, and I am no biblical scholar.
If we go back to , Matthew 24:21, and, Matthew 24:29 , "at that time" sounds to me the Lord is teaching about the end of the tribulation period, when He comes back to establish His kingdom.
From a pre-trib standpoint, He is giving instruction to those left behind.
Thoughts on this view?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did a bunch of studying on the parables last night, and I am no biblical scholar.
If we go back to , Matthew 24:21, and, Matthew 24:29 , "at that time" sounds to me the Lord is teaching about the end of the tribulation period, when He comes back to establish His kingdom.
From a pre-trib standpoint, He is giving instruction to those left behind.
Thoughts on this view?
I've long understood the end of Matthew to be referring to Tribulation-period saints, and not to the church prior to the Rapture.

Upvote 0