• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Papa Nicholas Planas Feast Day

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Ioustinos, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Ioustinos

Ioustinos Veteran

+156
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    St. Nicholas Planas' feast day is March 2nd, however I read somewhere that if his feast day falls within Great Lent, then the feast is moved to the first Sunday after March 2nd.

Is this true? Does anyone have a source for this? The only place that I have seen it is on OrthodoxWiki.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JohnTh

JohnTh Newbie

+358
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Yes.
    In Mount Athos is observed in this way.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,206
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    sounds like something the calendar would do.

4. JohnTh

JohnTh Newbie

+358
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Explanation: St. Nicholas Planas is a „feast” - that is a rather big saint (at least locally).
    During Great Lent = no feasts, save very notable exceptions (Annunciation, 40 Martyrs etc.)

Hence St. Nicholas (and other few saints) are moved to SATURday - not SUNdays - because in Great Lent Sundays are very, very special feasts.

However I can accept the fact that in a parish where nobody is present during the week at Church in Great Lent to have the saint moved in Sunday.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Ioustinos

Ioustinos Veteran

+156
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Thanks for the replies.

I ask because we are expecting a baby boy in January and he is going to be named after Papa Nicholas Planas. My goal is to baptize him on his name day.

The questions I have are:

1) This year March 2nd is the first day of Great Lent so where does it move. From John it seems it would be Saturday or in some places on Sunday.

2) If its moved to Saturday, that is the day we commemorate Kollyva given to St. Theodore so I'm not sure if that is allowed.

3) Is it allowed for children to be baptized during Great Lent at all or do we wait until after Pascha.

6. JohnTh

JohnTh Newbie

+358
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Very, very good.

However how his feast will be moved depends almost entirely of the priest of the parish where you will baptize your baby, even if he should follow (of course!) the above canons.

Definitely it should be moved. Either in the last before Lent or in first Saturday in Great Lent.

It is allowed. No problem. We can have two services of this magnitude together. If the magnitude (how to say it more correctly? degree? rank?) is higher then we can have just only one service. But, again, this depends on your local priest.

Pfff... too much IMHO. Mind you baptism is NOT (mainly) for assigning names - even if assigning a name is a very important outcome.