• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Pants on Women

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by sageoffools, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenEyedLady

GreenEyedLady My little Dinky Doo

+164
    Baptist
    I can see where you think this makes sense.
    The bottom line here for me, is modest pants shows a woman's shape more than a modest skirt would. The shape of the body is more outlined in pants than they are skirts. Men are attracted to the shape , women are attracted to touch.
    Can we compare this "transitional generation" issue with the gay rights issue that is going on here in this generation? Will it be okay for gays to marry because society accepts gay marriages?? I don't agree with these transitional times. I think that what God said, should stay, regardless of how society changes.

I ONLY wear pants if my family is the only ones there. I do not wear pants in public at all whatsoever. When I am 4 wheeling, I wear pants to protect myself. I have not been skiing yet, so I am not sure how I would handle that issue. The difference is I wear a skirt in public and pants at home and not in public.

I definatly believe that this is something that should be studied and prayed about. I wore pants for 30 years. Please don't assume that I heard preaching once and decided to throw on skirts for the rest of my life. This was a PERSONAL conviction and a personal decision that I made 6 years ago. It took me a long time before I was able to make this decision but I did it for MY GOD and not for anyone else.

If you are struggling with this issue, it must be your wife, unless you are considering kilts:thumbsup:. She should ask herself WHY she put on a skirt to begin with. Was she convicted by God to do so. If so, then I think it would be wrong for her to put on pants just because the church rules changed.

I say put the fleece out man. Pray, fast and ask God. Don't ask opinions on a message board. This is not the place to make such a decision about. Like you said, its not about what man says anyway, it is about what God is telling you.

I believe that this will just go in circles and it seems that since you posted your OP you might have made up your mind. Either way, I hope I have helped in some way with this issue.

GEL

2. Zoness

Zoness 667, neighbor of the beast Supporter

+1,418
    United States
    Pagan
    Married
    I know 3 churches in my town that split over the pants issue...

3. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,968
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    This may not be the "intelligent" response you may have been hoping for, but personally I have never felt much urging from God either way. In other words, it's never been brought to my attention by Him either way on it mattering, so I don't believe it really does. What is in my heart matters.

4. A Brother In Christ

A Brother In Christ Senior Veteran

+50
    Christian
    Married

leagalism or are we to grow by grace... 2 peter 3:18

5. fushiarose

fushiarose a.k.a. fosterangel72

+71
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    I wear pants and see nothing wrong with it. I even wear pants to church and so do both my sunday school teachers-they are women. We don't look like men-so I don't see it to be an issue.
    I also have to point out that many women today don't own a skirt or that many skirts. They need to feel comfortable and accepted when they show up to church with pants on.

6. fushiarose

fushiarose a.k.a. fosterangel72

+71
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    yes yes yes to all of these. women have rights and we are not second class human beings. love your post:thumbsup:

7. Studious One

Studious One Guest

+0
    There is no Scripture that says a woman cannot wear pants.

Many that are legalistic in this area will automatically point you to the oft misquoted Deuteronomy 22:5. But a careful examination of that passage will cause the serious Bible student to know that that verse is not speaking of every day clothing at all. It is speaking of battle armor. Notice:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance translates 'that which pertaineth' as
    The command was concerning battle armor! Women were not to put on the armor to go to war... that was the man's position. And men, likewise were not to pretend to be a woman in order to escape going to war.

Throughout the Old Testament, when wars arose, it was the men who fought. The women were to stay at home (Example Bathsheba staying at home while her husband was off to war; II Samuel).

8. eldermike

eldermike Pray Supporter

+578
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I spent last week in recovery in the hospital, surgery went great, finally back at home, just moving slower and trying to find clothes that don't hurt.

Last week I had to wear the hospital dress thing, one to the front, and one to the rear, tied at the top of each arm. While I was laying around waiting for someone to come in and pull something stuck under me lose, so I could get back to sleep, I considered this issue.

Thank God women have not given up on men and just killed us all off........We asked for it that's for sure.

Yes women should wear pants, and they should also take self defense courses until they can whip any man that tells them otherwise.

9. holyrokker

holyrokker Contributor

+1,601
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    eldermike,

Welcome back! Glad to hear that you are recovering.

10. 20questions

20questions New Member

+2
    Humanist
    Private
    Really, when you stop and think about it, what makes a particular article of clothing male or female? It's a societal thing. Clothes are clothes. By themselves they have no gender. If you're worried about lust and sin it's actually easier to get out of a skirt than a pair of jeans. Think about that. I would imagine a rapist would go for a girl in a skirt faster than a girl with jeans, boots, and a belt.

11. fireman1173005

fireman1173005 Senior Member

+38
    Baptist
    Married
    No problem with pants on women here. Heck they even wear them to church in every church I've attended. Not to be offensive but it almost sounds like you grew up Pentecostal.

12. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+8,973
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Does the Bible teach that women shouldn't wear pants? Does it teach that men should wear pants?

13. holyrokker

holyrokker Contributor

+1,601
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican

The only pants mentioned in the Bible is in Psalm 42:1
    "As a deer pants for flowing streams,
    so pants my soul for you, O God."

14. eldermike

eldermike Pray Supporter

+578
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    On nice days and even some not so nice days my wife rides her Harley to church. This subject never comes up at my house.

15. JamesKurtovich

JamesKurtovich Euphoric Neckbeard

+7
    Atheist
    Married
    I've only known one church that enforces a dress code (men - pants, women - dress) and that is the local United Pentacostal congregation. They don't believe the way they dress makes them more holier than someone who doesn't dress the same way or that it gives them a free ride to Heaven. They are personal vows to dress a certain way, and not just in a church but everywhere they go.

16. ipray4u247

ipray4u247 Instrument of God

+0
    Baptist
    Single
    You are 100% right though. Though I attend a Baptist church, we strictly follow the Bible. And here's what's going on.

First of all, pants are a LOT more modest that skirts. Be honest, guys: if a girl was wearing a skirt[any length] would you find her more attractive than a girl wearing pants??? Aren't we supposed to be fleeing from sexual immorality?
    Second of all, these rules are RIDICULOUS!!!!!! They are man-made and just plain out-of-whack. We are not meant to judge, only God will judge us on Judgment Day. We don't need this legalistic attitudes. These rules are the reasons why people think that Christians are hypocrites.

You can argue with me until we're both blue in the face. Truth is: the Bible doesn't say anything about women not being able to wear pants. There are different ways to interpret the Bible, and there is no way to misinterpret if women should wear pants, if it doesn't say anything about it!!

~Elisabeth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.