✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, definition is everything here.
But just looking at the words, “pantheism” is fairly clear: everything is god, there is nothing that is not god.
“Postmodern” is a stupid word on the face of it. It was created when an attempt was made to designate one recent historical period (now over) as “modern”, making it a contradiction in terms. If you accept the basic illogic, then “postmodern” would mean “what comes after that”. “Modern” means “now”, “that which is temporary/passing/the current fashion”. It is directly related to the Latin root for passing fashions, which is why it is silly to be proud of being modern.

Other definitions are essentially just made up by intellectual snobs, and other people, who wish to appear intellectual and wise (see “The Emperor’s New Clothes”) repeat after them.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
“Postmodern” is a stupid word on the face of it. It was created when an attempt was made to designate one recent historical period (now over) as “modern”, making it a contradiction in terms. If you accept the basic illogic, then “postmodern” would mean “what comes after that”. “Modern” means “now”, “that which is temporary/passing/the current fashion”. It is directly related to the Latin root for passing fashions, which is why it is silly to be proud of being modern.

After years of architectural study, I am still befuddled by what is meant by 'Postmodernism' in my field. Ironic reference to pre-modern structures with contemporary building methods comes to mind as a self-concocted definition.
Of course, in architecture, as with the other arts, and music, it is easier to classify 'modern' to a period. In architecture it is really the shift toward mass manufactured building components, lack of ornamentation, and a non-geographic significance in overall design [International movement].

I do not know if any of this translates to Theology and Philosophy, but if we can move away from a dogmatic, 'international' (read non-contextual), appeal to mid-century thought; I don't see that as a terribly bad thing.

To respond to the original post:
I feel the motivating spirit is similar, though I wouldn't associate post-modern atheism with pantheism.

Upvote 0