• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

ThomasK

Jan 7, 2018
Riverside
✟16,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Around September of 2017, I was diagnosed with panic disorder. I haven't been diagnosed with OCD although I think I may have it. I really wish it was like how it was in the beginning because now I worry about my faith, have intrusive thoughts about Satan, demons, blasphemy, the unpardonable sin and selling my soul to the devil. I feel like I'm doubting God and denying him.

I pray almost every day now, I went to confession yesterday (January 6th) and I broke down in tears. I also go to church every Sunday however it has been hard because I got psychically sick (possible sinus infection) and cause of my anxiety. I haven't read the Bible and I'm sort of avoiding it right now with my current mental state since everything is pretty much a trigger right now.

If anyone has ANY advice at all, please send it my way. I need prayers now more than ever. Thank you so much. God Bless. :)

F_lux123

Jul 3, 2017
New York
✟19,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My advice would be to relax first , don't fear the intrusive thoughts and don't dwell on them at all it will only make things worse. God understands your pain the intrusive thoughts cause he won't punish you for them. So just relax and take it easy the anxiety is only going to get worse and affect your health trust me but not panicking about them is key to recovery. It's going to be hard but your mind is just playing tricks with you trust me once you stop fearing the thoughts and stop dwelling on them, they don't have power over you and everything gets better. Let me know how it goes I believe in you!

Upvote 0

Smylie

Dec 24, 2017
Ontario
✟22,342.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God knows you better than you know you. As long as you really do believe and trust in Him, you'll be okay. With this said, it's important that you do not stop reading the Bible, praying, etc. I find reading the Bible has actually helped me tremendously with my struggles (Anxiety, depression, OCD, etc.) and it's helped me excel as the owner of multiple businesses. Also, do not go looking for answers about your intrusive thoughts, doing this will make it worse. Out of sight, out of mind.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2018
Missouri
✟16,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can relate to this since something similar used to happen to me. After I became a Christian I would sometimes have weird intrusive and blasphemous thoughts. The one that would really make me panic though is when I would think about the unpardonable sin and whether I was committing it or ever had committed it in my life

The only advice I can really offer is to not dwell on them and trust that God understands that you don't want to be having these thoughts and to pray for help to make them go away

These intrusive thoughts eventually went away for me so I know it can get better. I hope they go away for you soon as well. God bless

• Winner
Reactions: 1am3laine
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry to hear you've been struggling. Your obsessions are classic OCD themes. I've struggled with OCD since I was about seven years old so I have so much that I could say about it, but I'll try to keep this answer brief. :) I'd suggest you go to the OCD forum on here; reading other people's questions and answers might help you, and you can post your own questions and get responses that are more targeted to your OCD. Two of the key principles when fighting OCD are to ignore the anxiety-producing thoughts (just letting them be, doesn't mean you agree with them but you don't try to cancel them or push them away because you're retraining your brain to accept them as meaningless) and refuse to do compulsions (anything you do to relieve anxiety, such as "cancelling" intrusive thoughts, excessive research or ruminating, repeatedly asking for reassurance, etc.). I'll post a couple of links to my favorite resources below, all related to religious OCD. Also I'm part of another Facebook group (for Christians with OCD/panic/anxiety disorders) if you're interested in joining that. Oh, and you may want to consider getting medication/therapy to help you. If you do get a therapist, look for one who knows how to treat OCD, specifically using ERP (exposure and response prevention) therapy. It's possible to overcome without a therapist (I've always chosen to self-treat) but I think it's easier with one, especially depending on how bad your OCD is. Keep reaching out for help on these forums as you need to as well. You are not alone and there is lots of help and hope for your conditions!
http://ocdandchristianity.com/

https://jackieleasommers.com/ocd-posts/

<Staff Edit>
https://livingart77.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/managing-the-haunting-thoughts-of-pure-o-ocd/

Upvote 0

ThomasK

Jan 7, 2018
Riverside
✟16,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to hear you've been struggling. Your obsessions are classic OCD themes. I've struggled with OCD since I was about seven years old so I have so much that I could say about it, but I'll try to keep this answer brief. :) I'd suggest you go to the OCD forum on here; reading other people's questions and answers might help you, and you can post your own questions and get responses that are more targeted to your OCD. Two of the key principles when fighting OCD are to ignore the anxiety-producing thoughts (just letting them be, doesn't mean you agree with them but you don't try to cancel them or push them away because you're retraining your brain to accept them as meaningless) and refuse to do compulsions (anything you do to relieve anxiety, such as "cancelling" intrusive thoughts, excessive research or ruminating, repeatedly asking for reassurance, etc.). I'll post a couple of links to my favorite resources below, all related to religious OCD. Also I'm part of another Facebook group (for Christians with OCD/panic/anxiety disorders) if you're interested in joining that. Oh, and you may want to consider getting medication/therapy to help you. If you do get a therapist, look for one who knows how to treat OCD, specifically using ERP (exposure and response prevention) therapy. It's possible to overcome without a therapist (I've always chosen to self-treat) but I think it's easier with one, especially depending on how bad your OCD is. Keep reaching out for help on these forums as you need to as well. You are not alone and there is lots of help and hope for your conditions!
http://ocdandchristianity.com/

https://jackieleasommers.com/ocd-posts/

<Staff Edit>
https://livingart77.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/managing-the-haunting-thoughts-of-pure-o-ocd/
I do see a therapist. She deals with anxiety and OCD among other things. Thank you so much. God bless.

Upvote 0

ThomasK

Jan 7, 2018
Riverside
✟16,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God knows you better than you know you. As long as you really do believe and trust in Him, you'll be okay. With this said, it's important that you do not stop reading the Bible, praying, etc. I find reading the Bible has actually helped me tremendously with my struggles (Anxiety, depression, OCD, etc.) and it's helped me excel as the owner of multiple businesses. Also, do not go looking for answers about your intrusive thoughts, doing this will make it worse. Out of sight, out of mind.

I find I look for answers ALOT online. It rarely helps, if anything it makes me more panicked. Thank you for your advice. God bless.

Upvote 0

God's Child

Psalm 23
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2006
✟135,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
0pmbVck.jpg

This thread has been moved from the Questions about CF forum to the Anxiety, Panic & Agoraphobia forum. Some posts have been moved to comply with the Recovery Area Guidelines. If you noticed a post of yours missing this is why.

Admin Hat Off

Upvote 0