• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Panic attack... how do you deal with it?

ForeverHis777

Jan 14, 2010
✟15,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will turn on a song. You Tube has lots of Christian songs and I like going there because I don't always have the luxury of finding my Christian cd's when an attack strikes. I like "Your Love is Extravagent" by Casting Crowns. Praise music always calms me enough to deal.

Upvote 0

R.A.IN

Daughter of the King!
Oct 16, 2009
✟17,686.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am so FED UP! with this panic crap! I was at supper with the Gideons tonight and I was fine when we left the house. Even though I'd eaten lunch, I was very hungry! We got to the restaurant and just before we got seated, I started feeling like I was walking on a boat, complete with sea sickness. I couldn't sit still. I couldn't breath. I barely fought back tears. Finally I left the room for a few minutes. I came back in and barely managed to eat my salad. I didn't even attempt to eat the rest of my meal. The waitress set my plate down in front of me and it took everything in my power not to hurl. I excused myself again. I went and sat on a bench near the restrooms. One of the other wives came along later and sat with me for a bit and we talked. I kept apologizing for being such a big baby. She just held my hand and told me that I had nothing to apologize for. That helped a lot.
We talked about things in our lives that had scared us. She mentioned several times she had been scared and should've panicked, but didn't. I remembered a time when I was about 7 and I was almost blinded by a dog bite. I was petting a friend's black lab while he ate. He didn't know me. He attacked me and tried to take my nose off. There was blood in my eyes from his teeth. I still don't tweeze my eyebrows because of the tissue. She pointed out that most people would be terrified of dogs after an ordeal like that, but I adore dogs and can't wait to get one of my own again someday. She told me that she didn't think that I'm nearly as big of a whimp as I claim to be. That did help.

Upvote 0

hope_is_last_to_die

what, where, who, when, whatever????
Dec 15, 2009
Emerald Isle!
✟13,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi Rain, I can understand your weariness re pd, I too just get fed up with it. Its like a monkey on your back, just cant shake it off :( I too was out at a function the other night and thankfully it went reasonably ok but I did have to keep battling against thoughts of choking and was finding it hard to breathe properly :( However looking back Im glad I could go to the function, this is a good progress for me. It was very good that the lady comforted you and Im glad you were encouraged by this kindness. :)

Upvote 0

R.A.IN

Daughter of the King!
Oct 16, 2009
✟17,686.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, the Lord definately blessed me last night by sending this lady to talk with me. The strange thing is, I have no idea what her name is. I used to know it. I've been trying all day to remember her name. I think I'm going to have to ask my neighbor if he knows her name.

Upvote 0
B

Bribarian

I used to take panic attacks alot, But now they are less often. What helped me was having the whole fight or flight thing explained to me and that a panic attack is what happens when you don't do either. Your body is set up in such a way that when in danger, it gears up for a fight or to run from the danger. That means that the body builds up a huge reserve of energy and if we don't use it, that energy has to go somewhere. That is what a panic attack basicly is. It can feel like we are having a heart attack or that we are unable to breathe. If you were fighting off a wild beast, this energy would be very useful, But in our modern world, we really don't need it that much.

I like your description of it, since it's so true. Exercise helps, I have to take an anti-depressant, usually once the panic attacks and anxiety subside, you can stop taking drugs, that is until another one starts you up again.

It's a combination of stress, brain chemistry, and most important, your own irrational thoughts. Usually addressing all of these is best in dealing with it, and believe me you can deal with it, it just might cost you some lifestyle adjustments.

Of course I always pray to God for strength, and I get it. There's nothing you're experiencing that God doesn't understand. God has been most important to me in my recovery. I feel closer to God during depression and anxiety anyways.

In my opinion you're best off taking meds to get calmed down or it'll makes things worth. Then you start exercising and finding ways to catch your thoughts going the wrong way. Then you can stop taking the meds.

Upvote 0
D

dancingforJesus

I have had to deal with this for several yrs. now. There have been a few times I had a full on panic attack. I would start to feel like I can't breathe right and get a "weird" feeling. Then I'd start feeling hot and nauseous and shortly after that I'd feel like I was going to faint. There was one time I was visiting my grandmother in the nursing home. I felt just fine the whole time we were in there, then we went into the cafeteria. There was no one in there except us at that time. A panic attack just hit me all the sudden and I felt hot, nauseous, and "weird". So, I excused myself immediately and headed for the car. I got to the door, which was probably like 10-15 steps away and I started to feel faint, everything went black, and I was stumbling out toward the car, trying to make it there without passing out. As soon as that started happening I was praying asking God for help. I asked Him to help me to be okay and to not pass out and at least to get to the car. I managed to get to the car and lay over in the seat. Almost immediately it started to go away and I could see fine, I was just sweating and slightly shaken. That's the worst it's ever been. I have no idea what could have brought that on. I didn't have any negative thoughts at all and I had felt fine the whole time we were in there. I went into that cafeteria two times since then and the minute I stepped foot into that room I had those same feelings again, so I excused myself immediately. I now avoid that room totally because it seems it will bring on a panic attack. I have tried to figure out what it is that causes it in association with that room, but have no idea. I don't have any negative thoughts and it's not due to a lot of people being in there, because it always happened when it was empty except for us. It's not claustrophobia, because that is a large room and the door has always been open. So, I don't know.
I did go to the eye doctor a couple weeks ago and started to feel those symptoms of anxiety/panic. I started getting that "weird" feeling and like I couldn't breathe right and slightly nauseous. I was totally nervous and a bit shaky. I just started to pray silently as I sat there asking the Lord to help me, to calm my nerves, to enable me to get through this alright. I then just kept thinking in my mind, "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!" and trying to focus on Him. I kept telling myself in my mind that I was okay and going to be okay and that the Lord is with me always, so He's right there with me and that He will help me to be alright and get through this. It was just about the most uncomfortable thing, but I did get through it without a full on panic attack.
It is the most annoying, frustrating, difficult thing to deal with really. I haven't really gone to church for a while because every time I do I end up almost having a panic attack and all I do throughout the entire service is sit there trying not to panic. So, basically my whole focus is on trying to stay calm and tell myself I'm fine and will be fine and there's no reason to feel this way and that I'll get through this just fine. Then I'm not really even paying attention to the services or the message so I figured why bother to go. I just watch services that are live online and I'm able to worship and focus on the Word and the message and really get a lot out of it that way.
So, yea, it's really difficult to deal with, especially when it can happen anywhere. I normally have no problem with it when out shopping, but the other day I went into the grocery store and started feeling "weird", nauseous, and a bit faint. So, I got out of there and went to wait in the car until mom was done shopping and I felt fine then, once I had gotten out of there. It's horrible. It's like a hindrance to everything you do, making you afraid to go anywhere almost. I am needing to get a job and have actually applied to some and got contacted by one saying to call to set up an interview yesterday and I still haven't called them back. Just thinking about having to go to an interview or to work someplace for like 8 hrs. where I can't just excuse myself and walk out if I need to makes me feel kind of "weird" and nauseous. So, I don't know how I could deal with that to go to the interview or the job. Ugh!

Upvote 0

Freepeople

Feb 3, 2010
Germany
Visit site
✟7,733.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes panic attacks can be very hard. Sometimes they can come from health problems, so first you need to be sure it is nothing from body like (suger,iron,preassure...)When you are sure then you can go in fight with panic attacks.Basiclly to me it helped that I just started to think about something else, to not give that any thought...They are not going right away, but with that i made it to slowly go away. You must relax much, go out in nature, practise and of course pray...Everything that is making you calm....

Upvote 0

Lighthouse76

Feb 27, 2010
✟15,309.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have suffered from depression and anxiety for a while, but ever had a panic attack until yesterday. I am scared... I don't know what to do if it happens again.. my kids were terrified, and I hate doing that to them. It wasn't even over anything big... just lost an important piece of paper - but I couldn't cope, couldn't breathe... ugh.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with these?

Big hug to you, Criada.

I am sooo sorry for what you went through..it is really scary, I do know. Hope you will get all the information necessary and help to handle it and improve, please do look for all the help you can get. I am praying for you. And please do pray for me also.

I had my 1st in 2005. I went twice to emergency room and spend lots of money thinking was having a heart attack (my brother had one at 42 as other family members had hear problems also) but it was really panic attacks what I had, they said, nothing wrong with my heart,etc. Although I learned some mechanism to calm me down when having one, I havent really improve because the amount the amount of stress in my life worsen, my attacks are becoming more complex..by choking with water, food, closed spaces, and "anything" really triggers it, all of the sundely..I haven't leave my home for months last year.

I have been improving my agoraphobia, depression, panics, for a couple of weeks now and felt almost normal, myself again, going out for hours and hours, just wonderful. Hope it will last.

May the Lord help us all with much grace and peace.

Ps: I do write broken English, hope you all understand me, if not please tell me so. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums