Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember when my parents and my old brother use to paint by number. When they completed the painting they framed them and hung them throughout the house. I grew up looking at "Blue Boy" and "Mona Lisa" and other various things. I can still remember the smell of the oil paints and I miss that. It always reminded me of home life.

Recently, I've been having this desire to try my hand at it but have no clue what brands are good, and what to stay away from. Does anyone have any experience with this type of hobby?

Links would be great! Thanks!

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's a GREAT idea. God is working in those closed up areas of your heart that had been put away, as it were, on a shelf and florgotten, so to speak.

I don't know of any really good brands, but perhaps someone will come along and suggest some.

I'm praying blessings on you and your family and household in all of this.

God bless you brother.

(subscribing so i can see any responses...i've been considering doing this as well)

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
By the way, there is a website that sells art supplies that keeps sending me emails. I haven't opened the emails in a while, but they might have some quality paint by numbers sets. Would you like the web address?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Sure! Yeah, I've searched online and you can find them all over the place but you know how that is, you never know how the quality is.

Ok, here it is. I have not bought anything from them, but it might be worth a look. There's also a toll free number:

https://www.cheapjoes.com/

Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No joke, I use to paint like Bob Ross. I thought about going back to that one day too.

Awesome mentor. Blessings to you as you consider returning to painting, no matter what venue it is. :)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most of the kits now are acrylics so you'll not get that old time oil paint smell, but you won't have to have messy clean up or long drying time.

You might want to look into these. They are inexpensive and have everything you need but the frame.

DIY Digital Oil Painting kit

They have lots of choices there so look around.

this one is a bit more expensive, but not much considering the size, so if you like boats this may be one for you and will keep you busy for quite awhile.:)

16"x20" Sailing Ship Digital Oil Painting DIY Kit
upload_2017-9-8_22-2-33.png

Under $10 and Free shipping

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now if you are looking for the look of the ones from the 50's and 60's here's one you might like.

upload_2017-9-8_22-8-41.png

It has that 'look' of a paint by numbers. This one in not on a cotton canvas like the ones in my former post, but this is on a Pre-printed Textured Board.
This particular one is half price right now. They have a variety of subjects, animals, pastoral, etc.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you've done Bob Ross paintings (I did a few of his decades ago) you might want to try one of these. There are no 'numbers' to follow.

upload_2017-9-8_22-21-0.png

Acrylic Paint Your Own Masterpiece Kit 11"X14"-Hampton Beach

This is what you would get in the kit.

upload_2017-9-8_22-30-50.png

Then there's ones' like these along the lines of Thomas Kincade

upload_2017-9-8_22-23-14.png

Royal Brush Acrylic Paint Your Own Masterpiece Kit 11"X14"-Garden Gate-last one!

This package contains one 11x14 inch grayscale pre-printed artist board, twelve 5ml tubes of acrylic paints, two white bristle brushes, one paint mixing tray and one instruction and technique booklet

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
No joke, I use to paint like Bob Ross. I thought about going back to that one day too.

Did you know they published a coloring book in his memory?

The Bob Ross Coloring Book (Universe) is the first authorized coloring book based on Ross’s artistic archive. Ross, who would have turned 75 later this year, was all about giving his fans the confidence to pursue art even without extensive training.

upload_2017-9-16_15-44-24.jpeg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Did you know they published a coloring book in his memory?

The Bob Ross Coloring Book (Universe) is the first authorized coloring book based on Ross’s artistic archive. Ross, who would have turned 75 later this year, was all about giving his fans the confidence to pursue art even without extensive training.

View attachment 207797

That's awesome!!

Stellar!

Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0