• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hey guys. i got some bad pain going on near the side of my face head and ear. i had jaw surgery 11 years ago and i think that may be the cause of it, im not sure though but the pain is pretty bad and i cant stand it when i try to open my mouth. it really hurts so bad. i can hear a clicking sound on the side of my ear when i open my mouth. i am thinking TMJ but i am not sure...i am afraid this will get worse

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Until you see a doctor - try to avoid opening your jaw unless you really need to. I know when I had some TMJ symptoms, I think I made it worse by constantly "testing" my jaw to see if I could hear the noise, and when I forced myself to stop doing that, it seemed to get better. Whether you have a structural problem or inflammation, the frequency of jaw movement can only aggravate it. And if you happen to be like me, it could help a lot.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Until you see a doctor - try to avoid opening your jaw unless you really need to. I know when I had some TMJ symptoms, I think I made it worse by constantly "testing" my jaw to see if I could hear the noise, and when I forced myself to stop doing that, it seemed to get better. Whether you have a structural problem or inflammation, the frequency of jaw movement can only aggravate it. And if you happen to be like me, it could help a lot.
ok but what do you mean structural problem though? and what caused your tmj? it still hurts really bad.

Upvote 0

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
hey guys. i got some bad pain going on near the side of my face head and ear. i had jaw surgery 11 years ago and i think that may be the cause of it, im not sure though but the pain is pretty bad and i cant stand it when i try to open my mouth. it really hurts so bad. i can hear a clicking sound on the side of my ear when i open my mouth. i am thinking TMJ but i am not sure...i am afraid this will get worse

Hi Jenniferdiana,

You say your jaw surgery happened 11 years ago. If I were in your situation, I would be careful about jumping to the conclusion that this past surgery caused it, which can be a little depressing to think, because it puts you in the situation of regret and not knowing if it will get better (I have a history of health problems--including TMJ- and I've done that lots of times). TMJ feels really awful, I personally think the jaw is one of the worst places to have pain. But it's actually a really common and usually mild problem, it often comes on because of stress and goes away on its own in a few days or weeks. What it basically is, is muscle tension. If you had tension in your back, or your neck, or shoulders, you probably wouldn't think you had a serious problem, you might say you're just stressed or had bad posture. When the same tension happens in our jaw, it's not more serious but it usually feels more painful because the jaw is more pain sensitive.

So I don't think it's something you need to worry too much about. I know the pain from it is really intense, I've had it too. It does go away, it might take a bit of time but I think it should go away on its own. One thing that helped for me was to relax my jaw throughout the day. And another thing I think helped was to move the tension to a different part of my body (my back) by tensing that area instead.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Jenniferdiana,

You say your jaw surgery happened 11 years ago. If I were in your situation, I would be careful about jumping to the conclusion that this past surgery caused it, which can be a little depressing to think, because it puts you in the situation of regret and not knowing if it will get better (I have a history of health problems--including TMJ- and I've done that lots of times). TMJ feels really awful, I personally think the jaw is one of the worst places to have pain. But it's actually a really common and usually mild problem, it often comes on because of stress and goes away on its own in a few days or weeks. What it basically is, is muscle tension. If you had tension in your back, or your neck, or shoulders, you probably wouldn't think you had a serious problem, you might say you're just stressed or had bad posture. When the same tension happens in our jaw, it's not more serious but it usually feels more painful because the jaw is more pain sensitive.

So I don't think it's something you need to worry too much about. I know the pain from it is really intense, I've had it too. It does go away, it might take a bit of time but I think it should go away on its own. One thing that helped for me was to relax my jaw throughout the day. And another thing I think helped was to move the tension to a different part of my body (my back) by tensing that area instead.
yea i have been ignoring it but its kinda hard to do that when i get flares from it..well the pain was really bad before but for some reason its subsiding now. :) hey i never noticed until now..theres little pain now..thank you haha

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you clench your teeth at night? I did that for awhile and it caused pain and teeth grinding. You could get a mouth piece for sleeping at a pharmacy. It would keep teeth separate with a cushion and relax and heal. See a doctor too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums