Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Modern paganism interest me, partly because I only recently found out that it exists! For this thread, I just have 2 questions for the pagans on these forums: What do you believe, and why do you believe it?

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, that covers a lot of ground so I'll mention some highlights, but these answers apply to me. They may or may not be overlap with other Pagans because it's a very symbolic, subjective, and personal path.

I'm still hard polytheist, believing in multiple deities with distinct personalities. They are not omniscient, omnipotent, nor omnipresent. They guarantee no reward for belief, nor punish non-belief. They aren't there to meddle in human affairs, but to inspire us.

I accept the Big Bang Theory as the best explanation for the Universe's inception at this time.
I accept abiogenesis as the best explanation for the formation of life on Earth.
I accept evolutionary theory as the best explanation for the diversity of life on Earth.

I believe morality is (or should be) derived from common sense, The Golden Rule, human experience, and scientific analysis.

I celebrate a few holidays per year, some mark season changes, others have themes where I can apply personal significance.

Generally speaking, as I mentioned earlier, it's about having an appreciation of the natural world and our place in it, as well as a source of inspiration for creative endeavors.

I suppose I walk this path because it fulfills a psychological need; I'm in tech so I spend many waking hours in front of screen. Going outside and experiencing the natural world is a nice balance. I find it has a positive impact on my life while not really affecting anyone else.

I know that's all really general, so feel free to ask any specific questions.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Modern paganism interest me, partly because I only recently found out that it exists!

Woohoo!

For this thread, I just have 2 questions for the pagans on these forums: What do you believe, and why do you believe it?

1. I'll lead by saying for the audience that paganism is not a religion, rather it is an umbrella of religions the way we might classify some religions as Abrahamic or Dharmic. It's a huge tent where you will get many answers so I am glad you've asked!

In short, I believe that divinity is immanent and plural in the universe. That is, the universe itself may be a divine being and there may be gods in this universe as well. (This topic alone merits a whole separate discussion). I believe that life is valuable and to be appreciated and we should focus on this life, the afterlife either is not conscious or not important. Furthermore I believe that we should have appreciation and reverence for nature. I have a humanistic ethical grounding and I seek to life a good life, which is up the will of the beholder. Metaphysically I am somewhere between a Pantheist, an animist and a substance monist, not challenging to reconcile at all, right? In the pagan world what you do is seen as more important than what you believe and my philosophy shifts as I read more, learn new ideas and challenge old ones. The label you could give me is an eclectic Pagan.

My religious praxis is centered around a few religious reflexes: offerings, prayers and meditation. In addition, I also count my environmental work and activism as a form of "praxis in the world". I have small shrine where I burn incense and offer liquids or foods. This shrine has some iconography that helps me focus on various divine forces, some images of gods and goddesses but also modern art of creatures or spirits that are useful thought forms in centering prayer or meditation.

Humanism is a centerpiece in my worldview so I accept the scientific consensus and don't look to a holy book as a prescription for a way of living, but I am inspired by some religious texts. I do not think religion itself has merit specifically on its age or lack thereof and I believe the constant synthesis of religious ideas into new forms presents a lot of opportunity for growth. I am constantly growing too: some days I am closer to the older gentleman witch down the street growing herbs and plants and caring for birds, other days I feel closer to Carl Sagan and other days still I feel closer to forgotten figures in the occult.

2. I've always had a complicated relationship with religion, I was raised Catholic but from a young age I was totally disengaged with it (minus a brief, fiery Protestant phase in high school). Before leaving Christianity and in my transitional period, I spent a lot of time in Occult circles which gave me an appreciation for meticulous and methodical analysis of spiritual things. Modern paganism as it stands today lends me a framework where I may act on spiritual impulses and not disregard them entirely. I am an avid secularist and am largely worried about the course that too much religious domination brings in America, I also tend to be cynical of a lot of religions, also including members of my own community.

In short its an enchanted way to conceptualize the world and a comforting philosophical framework where I can categorize numinous experience that doesn't neatly fit into the physical senses. In short, it feels a need that if I didn't fulfill in this way; I would probably be nonreligious or a religious naturalist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a bit of a past in Celtic neo-paganism, though it unfortunately ended with me outright becoming an atheist. My heritage is Scottish, and I've always had a fascination for Celtic mythology and druidism--even now, I wear the Celtic cross, since it was my love of folklore which sustained me before finally converting. It baptized my imagination, C.S. Lewis style.

I went to one Wicca ritual for Samhain my first year of college. It was lovely, though people who wished to take part were required to go to a meeting first, which involved prayer to a mother goddess. I felt the same thing I had in my childhood Christian church: absolutely nothing.

After three and a half years as an atheist, I had a little bit of a religious reawakening and became a pantheist, albeit not a very good one. I always wanted to vaguely celebrate Samhain and Beltane, since the Celtic holidays were still special to me, but I had no rituals and never got around to it. One of these days!

Metaphysically I am somewhere between a Pantheist, an animist and a substance monist, not challenging to reconcile at all, right?

You're the best, Zoness. :)

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've missed talking to you! :D
Speaking of which, you seem very familiar. Are you the one that I originally sent a PM to, to ask about paganism?

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of which, you seem very familiar. Are you the one that I originally sent a PM to, to ask about paganism?

I think maybe? I can't remember if you replied but I've gotten a bunch of them over the years so I could be mixing them up. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them. Awitch and I have a bit of a different perspective.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I know that's all really general, so feel free to ask any specific questions.

I think maybe? I can't remember if you replied but I've gotten a bunch of them over the years so I could be mixing them up. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them. Awitch and I have a bit of a different perspective.
I wish I could just sit down with 1 of you for lunch and have a whole conversation about this! But until that point, I supposed this is my next question: Is your style of paganism something you just make up or discover on your own (I'm not sure which term would better fit), or is this an already established form of paganism that you take choose to take on?

• Informative
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟729,729.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Woohoo!
Metaphysically I am somewhere between a Pantheist, an animist and a substance monist, not challenging to reconcile at all, right?
Could you explain how Substance Monism works into your spirituality. This is the first I've heard that term so googled it. And now wondering how it fits into your spiritual life.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Is your style of paganism something you just make up or discover on your own (I'm not sure which term would better fit), or is this an already established form of paganism that you take choose to take on?

There are traditions with well-defined beliefs and practices, but I'm eclectic; I don't follow any officially recognized path. Those traditions, as well as entirely other religions, do influence and inspire my own path, though.

The "discovery" aspect isn't about finding a way to quantify what works, or about unlocking the divine. I think it's about self-discovery and our relation to the natural world. The religion challenges us to constantly think about what is meaningful and what is important to us, and to be conscious of how that affects others and the world around us.

There certainly is an aspect of making stuff up, too. To be clear, we're not saying "Today it will be okay to lie and maybe tomorrow it will be okay to steal for a few hours". It has more to do with symbology. I might say, I'm going to use x many candles of y color to symbolize z, while the Pagan down the street would say, she's going to use twice as many candles of varying colors to symbolize the same thing.

We're not pretending to know who or what god(s) are and we're not trying to prove "the Truth". I'm using a working model that I can relate to, believing that an interested god (if any exist) would meet me halfway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I wish I could just sit down with 1 of you for lunch and have a whole conversation about this! But until that point, I supposed this is my next question: Is your style of paganism something you just make up or discover on your own (I'm not sure which term would better fit), or is this an already established form of paganism that you take choose to take on?

That would be pleasant, I don't get to talk about my religion in person with anyone basically ever.

I would say my paganism is inspired from two general traditions: Wicca and Western Esotericism. Honorary mention to Shinto as a sort of attitude. There's not a great mythical reason as to why other than they are the ones I was first and most acquainted with. Traditional anachronisms and fudging aside there are pieces of Wicca that I find very useful such as the wheel of the year and the horned god and goddess. While I do not have a reductive approach to divinity the way duotheism does, they're useful symbols to me. The ritual order and symbolism is fairly intuitive, if not a bit anachronistic. Esotericism highlights my interest in the very mechanical and clinical application of philosophy and symbols to understand numinous experiences. I tend to have an interest in esoteric traditions across religions.

In terms of Shinto, I do not practice the religion but I tend to view religion in the way that many Japanese view Shinto. Not much as a discrete "thing" to adhere to with clear in and out boundaries but an outlook and way of life that involves praxis rather than orthodox purity. Plus the animism factors into my belief too; just applied with western concepts such as genius loci.

"Making it up" is not something I'd consider a terribly offensive take because even in reconstructed faiths like Hellenismos, Cultus Deorum, Rodnovery or Heathenry, there's a degree of in-filling that has to exist either to compensate for missing historical sources or to reconcile with modern philosophical outlooks. The depth and degree of this synthesis is what basically gives the large camps of paganism (Reconstructionist, Eclectic, Revivalist) their distinction.

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Could you explain how Substance Monism works into your spirituality. This is the first I've heard that term so googled it. And now wondering how it fits into your spiritual life.

It's part of my metaphysics; its not something I lose a lot of sleep over but the rundown goes something like this. By substance monism, reality is all composed of one "thing", maybe that's matter or maybe its spirit but its a singular thing (I lean towards matter), this also includes minds. As a result of my belief that divinity is immanent (motivated by the fact that I think its the true thing we experience being of one substance), I believe that this same substance that makes us up is divine by extension. Therefore, we are all part of divinity expressing itself and giving expressions to other facets of life; since we are unified in one substance this informs a lot of my downstream ethics re: nature and humanism. Substance monism is the more technical wrapping of my pantheistic beliefs (one link), the other link to animism is Panpsychism.

In terms of consciousness, I am sympathetic to some forms of panpsychism as a form of neo-animism, but I am still contending with a deeper understanding of that philosophy. It's a big leap to call panpsychism straight up neo-animism but for the sake of simplicity let's treat them as similar. Let me know if you have more questions!

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟729,729.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
In terms of consciousness, I am sympathetic to some forms of panpsychism as a form of neo-animism,
Thanks, I do have more questions.

I think I'm understanding that the window you are pointing towards is consciousness. I hope that's right as I ask my question with that in mind. What I'm wondering now is how does that work for you as experienced through "panpsychism as a form of neo-animism"? Innwardly, what's going on for you there.

I hope my question makes sense.

• Informative
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We're not pretending to know who or what god(s) are and we're not trying to prove "the Truth". I'm using a working model that I can relate to, believing that an interested god (if any exist) would meet me halfway.
Have you ever experienced one of these gods, and how did the experience change your ideas?

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you ever experienced one of these gods, and how did the experience change your ideas?

Only in the "mind's eye" kind of way, or at least, that's what I like to think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Modern paganism interest me, partly because I only recently found out that it exists! For this thread, I just have 2 questions for the pagans on these forums: What do you believe, and why do you believe it?
My particular brand of paganism can be summed up by the aphorism: "It's all in your head. Your head just happens to be a lot bigger than you thought."
Our individual personality constructs are but tiny fishes in a vast sea of consciousness, and in its depths plow gigantic whales and other larger creatures that we might think of as "gods", or Jungian archetypes, or kami, or spirits.
My spirituality does not revolve around placating them or currying favour for personal gain, neither in this life or on another plane of existence. Its purpose is solely to understand ourselves better, to grow and expand in wisdom and insight, and to help others do the same.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's part of my metaphysics; its not something I lose a lot of sleep over but the rundown goes something like this. By substance monism, reality is all composed of one "thing", maybe that's matter or maybe its spirit but its a singular thing (I lean towards matter), this also includes minds. As a result of my belief that divinity is immanent (motivated by the fact that I think its the true thing we experience being of one substance), I believe that this same substance that makes us up is divine by extension. Therefore, we are all part of divinity expressing itself and giving expressions to other facets of life; since we are unified in one substance this informs a lot of my downstream ethics re: nature and humanism. Substance monism is the more technical wrapping of my pantheistic beliefs (one link), the other link to animism is Panpsychism.

In terms of consciousness, I am sympathetic to some forms of panpsychism as a form of neo-animism, but I am still contending with a deeper understanding of that philosophy. It's a big leap to call panpsychism straight up neo-animism but for the sake of simplicity let's treat them as similar. Let me know if you have more questions!

Only in the "mind's eye" kind of way, or at least, that's what I like to think.

My particular brand of paganism can be summed up by the aphorism: "It's all in your head. Your head just happens to be a lot bigger than you thought."
Our individual personality constructs are but tiny fishes in a vast sea of consciousness, and in its depths plow gigantic whales and other larger creatures that we might think of as "gods", or Jungian archetypes, or kami, or spirits.
My spirituality does not revolve around placating them or currying favour for personal gain, neither in this life or on another plane of existence. Its purpose is solely to understand ourselves better, to grow and expand in wisdom and insight, and to help others do the same.
Thanks again for your input. Here's my next question: Do you use any sort of holy books, or sacred text? Or is there a particular kind of literature that you draw extra inspiration from?

• Informative
Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks again for your input. Here's my next question: Do you use any sort of holy books, or sacred text? Or is there a particular kind of literature that you draw extra inspiration from?

I don't adhere to any official scripture or texts. Inspiration may come from other religions' scripture, philosophy, art, science, and/or mythology.

I do write my own book, though it's just personal reference

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Could you share some of it?

I don't think that will fly with the admins.
Also, it's hand-written.
Also also, it's nothing exciting; ritual theory, symbology, poetry, and stuff like that.

• Informative
Upvote 0