United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I am not a Jew.

Are you not of the house of Israel?

(CLV) Hb 8:8
For, blaming them, He is saying, "Lo! the days are coming," the Lord is saying, "And I shall be concluding with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant,

(CLV) Hb 8:10
"For this is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with the house of Israel after those days," the Lord is saying: "Imparting My laws to their comprehension, On their hearts, also, shall I be inscribing them, And I shall be to them for a God, And they/ shall be to Me for a people.

(CLV) Mt 15:24
Now He, [Yahshua] answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I am not a Jew.
Acts 15:28-29
For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.

Is that it; just abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity; and all else is fair play?

Is that what you're saying?http://biblehub.com/kjv/matthew/5.htm

Matthew 5:20

King James Bible

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In short it is the light of Jesus' human soul. His soul is created glorified.

As a human being Jesus had an ordinary human soul. This is as we confess in the Definition of Chalcedon, that Christ, in regards to His humanity, was of a rational soul and body, that is, the same as the rest of us.

The light of the transfiguration has always been understood to be the light of Christ's own Divinity, whereby His eternal and uncreated Deity shown forth. Theologians have consistently referred to this as the Uncreated Light, because it is the light of God, God's own Divinity which is eternal and uncreated. The apostles did not behold Christ's human soul, they beheld a tiny glimmer of the Divinity of their Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It's just as likely that it is derived from the Old Teutonic German for "resurrection. They all share the same root.

So now you're an Etymologist?

Let's see the proof of your assertion, which flies in the face of what a reliable source purports on this subject.

Easter (n.)

Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from Proto-Germanic *austron-, "dawn," also the name of a goddess of fertility and spring, perhaps originally of sunrise, whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *aust- "east, toward the sunrise" (compare east), from PIE root *aus- (1) "to shine," especially of the dawn.

easter | Origin and meaning of the name easter by Online Etymology Dictionary

Normally things tend to be normal, rather than abnormal; but don't let that stop you from continuing to look for a convoluted solution.

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easter (n.)
Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from Proto-Germanic *austron-, "dawn," also the name of a goddess of fertility and spring, perhaps originally of sunrise, whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *aust- "east, toward the sunrise" (compare east), from PIE root *aus- (1) "to shine," especially of the dawn
Your source is not reliable. There is no historical evidence of any feast being celebrated for Eostre beyond that single brief mention by Venerable Bede which only refers to the naming of the month. Do we celebrate a feast in honour of Julius Caesar in July?

I did my research on the origin of the word "easter" back when I was living in Thessaloniki, where I had access to a large library of historical lexicons at the Centre for the Greek Language. I'm not an Etymologist but I was working among some of the top linguists in Europe at the time.
I no longer have access to the library as I now live in Australia.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So now you're an Etymologist?

Let's see the proof of your assertion, which flies in the face of what a reliable source purports on this subject.

Easter (n.)

Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from Proto-Germanic *austron-, "dawn," also the name of a goddess of fertility and spring, perhaps originally of sunrise, whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *aust- "east, toward the sunrise" (compare east), from PIE root *aus- (1) "to shine," especially of the dawn.

easter | Origin and meaning of the name easter by Online Etymology Dictionary

Normally things tend to be normal, rather than abnormal; but don't let that stop you from continuing to look for a convoluted solution.

The problem, as Prodromos mentions above, is that Bede is our sole source that the Anglo-Saxons worshiped a goddess named Eostre. And he doesn't say any of those things, the only thing he says is that the Anglo-Saxon month of Eostermonath is named for this alleged goddess.

That's it. That's the only thing we know, that's the only evidence that exists.

So any claim that Eostre was a fertility goddess is pure conjecture, no sources say this because, again, Bede is our only source and he doesn't say anything even remotely like that.

In fact it is more likely that Bede was mistaken, almost all of the Anglo-Saxon month names are named after aspects of the the season or things associated with it. Here are the months of the Anglo-Saxon Calendar as given by Bede:

January - Giuli, named after the day when the sun begins to increase (i.e. days get longer and brighter)

February - Solmonath or "mud-month" Bede says is so-named because of the cakes offered to the gods, though an alternative definition is that it is literal, referring the mud from the wet English weather.

March - Hrethmonath Bede says is named for the goddess Hretha, but an alternative would be "Wilderness Month"

April - Eosturmonath Bede says is named after the goddess Eostre, but it is possible to mean something more like "Dawn Month"

May - Thrimilchi "Three-Milkings" because cattle give more milk and can be milked three times a day

June/July - Litha "Gentle" named after the summer breeze

August - Weodmonath "Tares Month" or "Plant Month"

September - Halegmonath "Holy Month", named after the sacred rites performed at this time

October - Winterfilleth "Winter Full [Moon]", the beginning of winter

November - Blotmonath "Sacrifice Month", the month in which libations were made and cattle slaughtered in honor of the gods

December - also called Giuli

The Anglo-Saxons also included a leap month extending Litha from two to three months.

No evidence exists, outside of Bede, for the goddesses he mentions, Hretha and Eostre, as such he may very well have been mistaken about their etymology; Hretha may instead refer to wilderness while Eostre instead may refer to the dawn, the rising of the sun in the east, corresponding with days starting earlier.

"Nor is it irrelevant if we take the trouble to translate the names of the other months. The months of Giuli derive their name from the day when the Sun turns back [and begins] to increase, because one of [these months] precedes [this day] and the other follows. Solmonath can be called ‘month of cakes’, which they offered to their gods in that month. Hrethmonath is named for their goddess Hretha, to whom they sacrificed at this time. Eosturmonath has a name which is now translated ‘Paschal month’, and which was once called after a goddess of theirs named Eostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month.
Now hey designate that Paschal season by her name, calling the joys of the new rite by the time-honoured name of the old observance. Thrimilchi was so called because in that month the cattle were milked three times a day; such, at one time, was the fertility of Britain or Germany, from whence the English nation came to Britain. Litha means ‘gentle’ or ‘navigable’, because in both these months the calm breezes are gentle, and they were wont to sail upon the smooth sea. Weodmonath means ‘month of tares’, for they are very plentiful then. Halegmonath means ‘month of sacred rites’. Winterfilleth can be called by the
invented composite name ‘winter-full’. Blodmonath is ‘month of immolations’, for then the cattle which were to be slaughtered were consecrated to their gods. Good Jesu, thanks be to thee, who hast turned us away from these vanities and given us [grace] to offer to thee the sacrifice of praise.
" - Bede, Reckoning of Time, tr. by Faith Wallis, p. 54

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is that it; just abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from unchastity; and all else is fair play?

Is that what you're saying?
:doh:
Matthew 5:20

King James Bible

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Easily done. All it requires is a contrite heart.
Luke 18:9-14

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I am not a Jew.

(CLV) Eph 4:17
This, then, I am saying and attesting in the Lord: By no means are you still to be walking according as those of the nations [the Gentiles] also are walking, in the vanity of their mind,

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(CLV) Eph 4:17
This, then, I am saying and attesting in the Lord: By no means are you still to be walking according as those of the nations [the Gentiles] also are walking, in the vanity of their mind,
Context does not support your misuse of the passage.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Eostre instead may refer to the dawn, the rising of the sun in the east, corresponding with days starting earlier.

So in other words Sun worship? How is this any better?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Context does not support your misuse of the passage.

How done one misuse the context of 'not walking like a Gentile?'

Again, YHWH has no covenant with the Gentiles.

(CLV) Hb 8:8
For, blaming them, He is saying, "Lo! the days are coming," the Lord is saying, "And I shall be concluding with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant,

(CLV) Hb 8:10
"For this is the covenant which I shall be covenanting with the house of Israel after those days," the Lord is saying: "Imparting My laws to their comprehension, On their hearts, also, shall I be inscribing them, And I shall be to them for a God, And they/ shall be to Me for a people.

(CLV) Mt 15:24
Now He, [Yahshua] answering, said, "I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

YHWH's family is one. They understand that YHWH is the head; and all in his family ultimately submit to him

(CLV) Jer 51:44
I will call on Bel to account in Babylon And bring forth from his mouth what he has swallowed; Not longer shall nations stream to him; Even the wall of Babylon will fall.
(CLV) Jer 51:45
Come forth from her midst, My people, And escape, each with his soul, from the heat of Yahweh's anger!

(CLV) Re 18:4
And I hear another voice out of heaven, saying, "Come out of her, My people, lest you should be joint participants in her sins, and lest you should be getting of her calamities,
(CLV) Re 18:5
for her sins were piled up to heaven, and God remembers her injuries.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.
He just wants to be contrary. He has all the answers so he is unteachable. He isn't going to let any silly facts change what he knows to be true.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,917.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So in other words Sun worship? How is this any better?
Your focus on the word Easter, as if that explained the feast seems totally misguided. Many of us have pointed out it was called Pascha in the early Church. Given this, how do you explain the feast's origins from that word which means Passover?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,060,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Your focus on the word Easter, as if that explained the feast seems totally misguided. Many of us have pointed out it was called Pascha in the early Church. Given this, how do you explain the feast's origins from that word which means Passover?

Passover has its' origins in YHWH's Pesach. Easter does not. Do you celebrate Easter as YHWH commands Israel, FOREVER?

If so, then you might begin to have a valid point. If you are celebrating YHWH's Moed, on the wrong day, with egg laying bunnies; then your argument is childish.

A Moed is an appointment with YHWH.

If you make an appointment with your doctor, then not show; then he calls you to see what happened. You tell him that you did keep his appointment, when you grabbed a basket, filled it with fake grass, fake eggs, and chocolate bunny statues, with sprinkles; he might have you committed for a psychological evaluation.

Upvote 0