Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A guy today in church made owl noises during clapping and worship. I seemed to be the only one who noticed it. It was kind of strange, Iv'e never seen anything like that before. Any input on that? Aren't owls associated with demons?
It was probably the individual's way of praising God from his heart. Athough nothing like that is mentioned in the New Testament it doesn't mean that people can't praise God in ways that fully expresses their hearts to Him. I wouldn't associate it with demons at all. If it was the guy's steam is going out through the whistle, he was surely having a great time doing it! It is good to let off steam with God at times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Micah 1:8 the prophet hoots like an owl as part of his prophetic ministry, so I wouldn't rule it out completely. Nevertheless if unusual occurrences are the norm in a church I would probably be seeking another church. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
?????That’s a metaphor . It’s not saying that birds are demonic
Don't bring literary handcuffs to the Signs sub-forum. It is a different paradigm. If you didn't agree to that, you don't belong here.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Don't bring literary handcuffs to the Signs sub-forum. It is a different paradigm. If you didn't agree to that, you don't belong here.

Even people who believe that spiritual/sign gifts are still active may also believe that there are metaphors in various places in scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even people who believe that spiritual/sign gifts are still active may also believe that there are metaphors in various places in scripture.
But they aren't hamstrung by that when discerning the issue in the OP. It basically disqualifies a spiritual interpretation, in favor of a soulish or fleshly one, undercutting the purpose of this sub-forum. It smacks of Cessationism (which isn't allowed here).

Criticism of a spiritual cause would only be appropriate if another spiritual cause was proposed, instead. Advising that "owl sounds cannot be demonic" is not allowed here.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
But they aren't hamstrung by that when discerning the issue in the OP. It basically disqualifies a spiritual interpretation, in favor of a soulish or fleshly one, undercutting the purpose of this sub-forum. It smacks of Cessationism (which isn't allowed here).

Criticism of a spiritual cause would only be appropriate if another spiritual cause was proposed, instead. Advising that "owl sounds cannot be demonic" is not allowed here.

True, but that particular post was referring to a specific bible verse that was using birds as a metaphor.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...a specific bible verse that was using birds as a metaphor.
To a Cessationist, maybe, but those types of verses also apply to interpreting spiritual phenomena. It isn't either/or. And trying to constrain it to such is not on the same page with the target audience of this sub-forum.

Even me having to explain that is a bit of a hijack and a diversion. If that is intentional, it is trolling behavior.
...someone else aint your business
In a church where "everyone plays," God expects those with the gift of "discerning of spirits" to speak up.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes that’s definitely odd. I would bring it up to staff. He should be reprimanded or asked to leave. Making owl noises is not orderly worship.
Not being a member of the particular church, and not being there to hear it for myself, I cannot make any sort of judgment. We also don't know if the pastor or the leadership did take the guy aside and show him a better way to worship because usually correction of individuals is usually done in private. I would only become a public issue for that individual if he refused the private correction of the pastor or elders.

Also, I don't know how well known the individual is to the leadership of the church, whether he is part of the hard core of the congregation or part of the lunatic fringe.

I have heard high pitched owl-like noises at concerts when performers are being applauded, and it is accepted as quite normal. It is the equivalent of "bravo!" that we hear after a fine performance by a virtuoso musician. So it could very well be that individual's way of applauding God for His great works, and therefore his way of praising God.

So, I don't have enough substantive information to make a reliable judgement about what took place during the worship time at that church.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If people are already clapping and doing other noisy things in worship, then why would owl noises on top of all of it even be an issue?
Michal publically criticised David for dancing half naked before the Ark when it was brought back to Jerusalem. She was punished for it, and never was able to bare children. In Jewish culture that was a fate worse than death for a wife! Could that be a lesson to those who criticise others for worshiping and praising God in ways different to what is familiar to them? I wonder if that is a reason that many church groups are unable to lead souls to Christ and remain barren "bless me" clubs and then start to decline in numbers as the oldies start to die off?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If people are already clapping and doing other noisy things in worship, then why would owl noises on top of all of it even be an issue?
When I first became a Christian, many church groups viewed clapping in church as near to demonic!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
To a Cessationist, maybe, but those types of verses also apply to interpreting spiritual phenomena. It isn't either/or. And trying to constrain it to such is not on the same page with the target audience of this sub-forum.

Even me having to explain that is a bit of a hijack and a diversion. If that is intentional, it is trolling behavior.

In a church where "everyone plays," God expects those with the gift of "discerning of spirits" to speak up.
I don't know if the discussion is to do with Cessationism or Continuance. Continuance is the acceptance that the work of the Holy Spirit is exactly the same as it was in the early church, and that the gifts and ministries of the Spirit are still active today.

But a continuist does not have to accept every supernatural manifestation as coming from the Holy Spirit, so, questioning a manifestation does not mean that the questioner is a Cessationist.

The issue is not one of Cessationism/Continuance. It is discussing whether hooting like an owl in a Christian worship and praise service is appropriate or inappropriate.

I saw in a post that Micah hooted like an owl as part of his prophecy, so that has already been done and accepted as inspired Scripture. That would put the cat among the pigeons for the questioners and criticisers! If it was the cat among the owls, the cat might come off second best! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But a continuist does not have to accept every supernatural manifestation as coming from the Holy Spirit, so, questioning a manifestation does not mean that the questioner is a Cessationist.
Two of the posters have not signed the agreement for this sub-forum (as required to post here). They are not here to edify. Their net effect is to hijack this thread.

You are talking about a whole other issue.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they are a Cessationist or not also part of the target audience of this forum. Continuance doesn't mean that we are obligated to see every verse in the bible as useful for interpreting spiritual phenomena, and in that particular verse, there was no implication at all that birds doing natural bird things are demonic, and somehow "proves" that a person making owl sounds in church is also demonic.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
When I first became a Christian, many church groups viewed clapping in church as near to demonic!

I was naive about it for a long time and it took me a while to figure out why some people were bothered about clapping in church, or why one of my pastors thought he needed to forewarn that the praise team was planning to clap during a particular song during a contemporary service. I'd always just thought people were being shy or maybe uptight. :)

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
This is a safe house forum for those who believe that the sign gifts are still active today. No cessationist posts are allowed.
Also if you have not read and posted in the signup thread. Please do so now. :)

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..., and in that particular verse, there was no implication at all that birds doing natural bird things are demonic,...
Yes, there was such an implication. That is a given in this sub-forum.
..., and somehow "proves" that a person making owl sounds in church is also demonic.
They are related and relevant. We have no obligation to appease naturalists in this matter.

Upvote 0