Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Do any of you get overwhelmed with your wrtiting? I do and that is part of what blocks me from writing. I get overwhelmed by the possible success of what i'm writing for example I can see where the book is going and the possible success it can have and what it will take to get there then i just stop altogether.

Also I find that I hurry through what I write because i'm so excited about the main plot of it that i want to get there and am not taking the time to write what needs to be written right now. Can anyone else relate to that?

HB

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can definitiely identify with that. The novel I'm working on at the moment isn't being written in order - I have scenes from all around the book and now I need to try and fill them in.

I read a great article on writing last night. One of the things it said was that if your goal is to get published, find another goal.Write because you want to, and only because you want to. Publication is a side benefit. AuthorCulture

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That is good input. Because the goal of being published isn't always an obtainable one and/or can be an overwhelming one. I'm making writing my hobbie right now to fill the void I have while experiencing my life events, and because I really want to, just havn't put the work into it yet.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Do any of you get overwhelmed with your wrtiting? I do and that is part of what blocks me from writing. I get overwhelmed by the possible success of what i'm writing for example I can see where the book is going and the possible success it can have and what it will take to get there then i just stop altogether.

Also I find that I hurry through what I write because i'm so excited about the main plot of it that i want to get there and am not taking the time to write what needs to be written right now. Can anyone else relate to that?

HB
As someone said, don't write with the goal of being published.

I have said in another post,
Don't let the work of writing ruin the fun of writing.

If you hurry through the first time thats fine. I noticed I did that, but remember, the first time you write something it is just getting the main frame work established. When you start editing or just go back and drop in the discriptions of the story you have established.
Write the bare bones, let it flow, then after you have that in place,then go back and describe the enviroment better.

(main character) runs through the field away from her captivity, towards freedom, suddenly a loud report from a pistol behind her, her head jerks to look behind her, she falls to the ground.

It tells the event, but doesn't give much detail. She ran through a field, there are all kinds of fields, the weather? What she feels...etc.
Now you have the exciting even down, now we go back and add the meat to the bones we have set up.

(Main character) breathlessly runs through the grassy field, the waist high grass conceals the ruts and other obstacles that might trip her up. The tall grass tears at her bare legs, and again she wished she had wore long pants. She was free from the cellar that held her for the two cold nights, she feels her heart racing even faster then she was running,
but suddenly the loud report of a pistol behind her startles her, she yelps as her head jerks back towards the sound, she stumbles over a hidden rock and tumbles to the ground, she rolls to a stop afraid to move. Did he shoot her? She didn't feel any pain other then the skinned knee from the fall. He was coming towards her, but she dare not run.

Upvote 0