• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Overthinking and Anxiety

C Johnson

May 21, 2018
southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Got to thinking about my life today and I have a tendency to overthink too much. My anxiety and overthinking gets to me from time to time. I got to thinking about an incident 2 years ago a d wondered if my actions hurt anyone. Now I feel guilty and wanna apologize but don't wanna open old wounds. However I wonder if my refusal to do so will send me to Hell. I feel awful and wanna put it behind but I'm afraid to. Will the Lord forgive me?

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems more like you gave consideration than overthinking. If y'all both have moved on years later and neither has an issue to grind about what happened, then it's understandable not wanting to open old wounds. It's not only a matter of discerning what you did wrong, but also discretion about how it's best doing right presently into the future.

The fact you're repentant is a sign of goodness within you, which comes from God himself who's good. Yes, I believe the Lord will forgive you. He doesn't expect you to be perfect but to let His righteous change you. Whatever happened in the past is first of all to be learned from, not an anchor weighting you down. So when similar situations occur, remember to do it differently with the Lord in mind and what happens after that don't regret but continue to learn and grow.

Also sometimes we want forgiveness more for ourselves than the peace it brings others. Again if the person has moved on it's best not to pick at a healed wound. As for your own peace it's something you can bring to the Lord, ask forgiveness from Him and let God deliver taking your repentance to heart going forward.

Upvote 0

C Johnson

May 21, 2018
southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seems more like you gave consideration than overthinking. If y'all both have moved on years later and neither has an issue to grind about what happened, then it's understandable not wanting to open old wounds. It's not only a matter of discerning what you did wrong, but also discretion about how it's best doing right presently into the future.

The fact you're repentant is a sign of goodness within you, which comes from God himself who's good. Yes, I believe the Lord will forgive you. He doesn't expect you to be perfect but to let His righteous change you. Whatever happened in the past is first of all to be learned from, not an anchor weighting you down. So when similar situations occur, remember to do it differently with the Lord in mind and what happens after that don't regret but continue to learn and grow.

Also sometimes we want forgiveness more for ourselves than the peace it brings others. Again if the person has moved on it's best not to pick at a healed wound. As for your own peace it's something you can bring to the Lord, ask forgiveness from Him and let God deliver taking your repentance to heart going forward.

Thank you. I just think about Zacchaeus and how he made up for and I'm over here moving on. Especially for sins I've done and hurt people and they weren't aware of them. Again, I've moved on and learned and asked the Lord 10+ times for forgiveness. I hate I even done them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you. I just think about Zacchaeus and how he made up for and I'm over here moving on. Especially for sins I've done and hurt people and they weren't aware of them. Again, I've moved on and learned and asked the Lord 10+ times for forgiveness. I hate I even done them.

Nothing we can do to make up as the past is gone. When something continues to affect relationships or others personally, this is when what's right is consideration for mending fences or easing their pain. If the relationship and the person have moved on, then you're free to do the same. Now it's about your own forgiveness which comes with repentance. That's actually good news, we should love righteousness instead and continuously come to the Lord needing him. Just remember he's willing to forgive and accept his forgiveness in faith.

Upvote 0

C Johnson

May 21, 2018
southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nothing we can do to make up as the past is gone. When something continues to affect relationships or others personally, this is when what's right is consideration for mending fences or easing their pain. If the relationship and the person have moved on, then you're free to do the same. Now it's about your own forgiveness which comes with repentance. That's actually good news, we should love righteousness instead and when continuously come to the Lord needing him. Just remember he's willing to forgive and accept his forgiveness in faith.

Thank you again. I'm sorry for the lack of specifics. I just know I hurt and sin against people in the past. Some of which I still speak to and love. I don't know if my past mistakes affected people I no longer speak to. And I guess that's why I feel so bad. Afraid of the reaction and what would come of it. It's all a mess. I just hope God forgives me. I was really stupid.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you again. I'm sorry for the lack of specifics. I just know I hurt and sin against people in the past. Some of which I still speak to and love. I don't know if my past mistakes affected people I no longer speak to. And I guess that's why I feel so bad. Afraid of the reaction and what would come of it. It's all a mess. I just hope God forgives me. I was really stupid.

No need for apologies. I can see it truly pains you. Wish I had more I could say to help you, but all I have left to give is the hope that I believe God has forgiven you. You've repentant and asked forgiveness more than most would bother to consider. So keep that in mind as you continue to process it all from what happened then and to how you feel now. God bless you Johnson, may you find peace!

Reactions: C Johnson
Upvote 0

C Johnson

May 21, 2018
southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No need for apologies. I can see it truly pains you. Wish I had more I could say to help you, but all I have left to give is the hope that I believe God has forgiven you. You've repentant and asked forgiveness more than most would bother to consider. So keep that in mind as you continue to process it all from what happened then and to how you feel now. God bless you Johnson, may you find peace!

Thank you. I hope I do.

Upvote 0

C Johnson

May 21, 2018
southern
✟14,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Bible doesn't say that you need to always go back to apologize/ask forgiveness of someone. Think of the woman that had five husbands. God didn't say go back and tell each one that you are sorry. Those men had gone on with their lives, or maybe even died by then. She was living with a guy, but not married to him. Jesus Christ told her that the one now is not her husband. She became a great witness to others in Samaria. They went to see Jesus and became believers. If you have anger at someone, then you need to forgive, but you can't always go back in life and clean up your mistakes/sins. You don't want to be a talebearer or cause strife in a person's life. The Bible/OT talks as to love covers transgressions. You just need to be at peace with God as in He forgave you for it. Jesus didn't tell the thief with Him that first he must find all that he stole from and make it right, then meet Him in paradise.

Thank you. Just worried that God wouldn't forgive me for hurting loved ones in the past, not telling them, and moving on. Also, lying, cheating, etc. As I said in another comment, I know there are not very many details and I'm sorry. I've talked to God several times about this and just wanna forget all of this and learn from my mistakes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums