✟20,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone.

Something I want to get off my chest...I'm striving to put God first so I do go to Him first about these things. I know God loves it when we help each other, like He helps us. Use what He teaches us to help others. And it's been really helpful for me to reach out to people with similar experiences as I am, but I've learned through God. But I know He's still first.

There's a lot to talk about here but I want to try not to make this too long so I'll just get to the point...I'm really trying to think about more the things that God wants me to stay away from, whether it's certain movies, books, games, etc. I recently decided to stop watching Wizards of Waverly Place because I became concerned about the magic aspect of it. I've had concern about the different movies I watch and music I listen to. My mom told me to ask God about these things if He approves of this. If I have peace, then it should be ok. But if I continue to not be in peace, then that's definitely the Holy Spirit trying to tell me this is not good what I'm involving myself in. I was watching Wizards of Waverly Place on DisneyPlus. I'd been watching for several episodes and I gradually started to become more uncomfortable every time they were talking about spells. I used to think that the show was just fantasy and it was a part of my childhood. But I asked God if watching this show is such a good idea and I continued to feel uncomfortable, so I realized that He's trying to tell me no. I was sad at first and I thought I wanted to go back to it, but I restrained myself. I just think about what God thinks. I also cut out the game Wizard 101 for the same reason, realizing how much stuff about magic and wizards goes into it. It just didn't feel right.

Since then I find that I've become so focused on these things to the point of obsession, worrying about whether this is ok or if that's ok. It's taking over my day to day life. What about this show, what about that movie, what about that book. Suddenly it's like my mind has reached the idea that what if I need to cut out everything? Everything's bad, when that might not be the case of every secular show, movie, etc. Like I said, my mind has gone to the extreme. I'm going crazy out of my mind. I'm watching the Suite Life of Deck and while it's probably totally harmless, I still asked God about it. With my overthinking, and me trying to learn more from God, I'm caught up in all these what-ifs. What if this show is bad too? What about another show I thought of watching? Now I'm scrutinizing every little thing, worrying about something I watch that even has one bad word in it or something like that. I'm also a writer. I've been writing since I was 10 years old. I'm now 20. I've always carried stories in my mind with these characters and I continue to add to their stories. Writing is a huge part of my life, myself as an individual. I'm transferring to university this fall and I'm studying Creative Writing and Journalism. I've always dreamed of being a successful writer, or at least a journalist for the time being until I make it as a writer. Now I'm overthinking about what I write, my ideas for stories, worried about if I'll be able to write this or that. I like to explore different genres too, from horror to fantasy to coming-of-age to adventure. I've really made myself miserable with obsessing. I would never want to put anything above God. These are worldly things, I know, and that's the problem I'm having, getting too caught up in worldly things, which stretches to other areas of my life, not just my creative endeavors. It affects me in the social atmosphere too. I'm trying to consider that with my walk with God, putting Him first and keeping to His Word, God still wants me to live life to the fullest. I can still explore my creative art and experience things in life, but within reason, right? Let Him work it out for me, that's what I'm trying to keep in mind.

My mind has become filled with so many illogical ideas, not sure where some these things are coming from or how I came upon this or that idea. It's like I've put so much pressure on myself, scrutinizing every little thing about what's right and what isn't, and now I just don't have peace during the day. I have to realize this is not how God wants me to go about my day, being upset about everything. His Word is meant to transform me for beyond amazing things He has planned. He didn't write His Word to burden us. But now I've become so obsessed over this I'm afraid of being more preoccupied with this than my faith. I know I need to relax and just let God Work on me. I have to remember it's about what God does for us, not what we do for Him, but that doesn't mean do whatever I want, I know that. It's hard when I'm getting caught up in all these what-ifs. I've been asking God to direct me, to help me get to more stability in my mind, because it's a mess. I feel ashamed that I'm so caught up in worry about these things, that I'm not trying hard enough to focus on God and how He'll help me. I've cried just about every day from all the things that I worry myself about.

Does anyone have advice about this? Anyone going through something similar?

Last edited:

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lord we pray you help Nicole in all this, and honor her as she wants to honor you in what shows she watches. Give her spiritual balance. In Jesus name, Amen.

1Co 10:23 NIV - 23 "I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but not everything is constructive.

1Co 10:23 CSB - 23 "Everything is permissible," but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible," but not everything builds up.

Yes that's a hard line to draw. If these affect you so negatively then sure, don't watch them. Still know others may watch and not be affected the same way. Just be comfortable in you own shoes. If you do watch it's not sin, but then again you may be better off not watching. Just don't grade yourself, give yourself room to fail, while you aim for success. God does.

Upvote 0

Stephanie7

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2004
✟111,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heavenly Father, grant Nicole clarity in all of this. I believe that You change most of us a little at a time and I don't think You overwhelm us with everything at once so we give up in despair. Thank You LORD for granting her time and peace to adjust to Your love, Your Word, and plan for her so she can have a change of heart and mind because she wants to follow Your Word, and change for You, and not feel that You demand everything has to be done at once. Bless her in her walk with You and thank You for making it a joyful and a special and peaceful time, where she can feel loved and drawn to You, In Jesus Name, Amen

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm really trying to think about more the things that God wants me to stay away from

Why are you thinking about the negative rather than the positive?

I've become so focused on these things to the point of obsession, worrying about whether this is ok or if that's ok. It's taking over my day to day life.
My mind has become filled with so many illogical ideas, not sure where some these things are coming from or how I came upon this or that idea. It's like I've put so much pressure on myself

May I ask have you a history of obsessing about things or is this new.

To me it sounds like you are suffering from intrusive thoughts.
I am not a doctor so that is not a diagnosis, for that you will need to see a doctor.
What I would suggest is that these thoughts you have rather than fight them or follow where they lead and think more about them, that you just acknowledge them and carry on.
If that helps great otherwise you will need to see a doctor.

Upvote 0