Overreaching gay rights movement; Indiana's religious freedom act (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: NotreDame
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
According to TLK, she would be a willing participant if she doesn't fight him, at least that's the impression he's putting out there.

Well, that's your first twisting of my words in this post...

He already tried to tell me that if a person does anything, then it's done "willingly" since nobody can force you to do anything.

And that's your second.

Start reading in this thread on page 97 starting at post #962 to see what I mean.

That's the last thing you want people to do -- but at least exposing your own falsehoods saves me the trouble of doing it to you.

Meanwhile, you say people are "forced" to comply with the law, but why then do so many choose not to?

Clearly, they're not being "forced" very hard.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You could ask me about every situation under the sun. Is it my opinion here that is of so much value to everyone?

No, and that's the point. As the baker or the florist, your opinion of the couple, their marriage, the wedding reception, the bridal party, the guests, and so on, does not matter. All that matters is that you do your job competently. You are not paid for your opinion. You are not paid to deliver a sermon on marriage and its theological significance in your religion. You are not paid to offer your blessings to the couple's union. None of that falls under the purview of your role in the entire affair. So when a gay couple asks you to bake them a cake just as you would for any other couple, don't for a moment think that they are asking you for your opinion of them and their marriage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, and that's the point. As the baker or the florist, your opinion of the couple, their marriage, the wedding reception, the bridal party, the guests, and so on, does not matter. All that matters is that you do your job competently.

Uh, if I'm the owner, then who are you to tell me what my job is? Before you tell me "The customer is the boss", let me save you the trouble by informing you that the owner is the one who gets to decide how to run his own business.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, that's your first twisting of my words in this post...

And that's your second.

That's the last thing you want people to do -- but at least exposing your own falsehoods saves me the trouble of doing it to you.

Let the reader decide.

Meanwhile, you say people are "forced" to comply with the law, but why then do so many choose not to?

Clearly, they're not being "forced" very hard.

You don't understand what "force of law" means, do you?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Uh, if I'm the owner, then who are you to tell me what my job is?

I'm not telling you what your job is. If you're a baker, then it's already clear what your job is. I'm telling you what your job isn't.

Before you tell me "The customer is the boss", let me save you the trouble by informing you that the owner is the one who gets to decide how to run his own business.

Yes, so long as he or she complies with the law.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not telling you what your job is. If you're a baker, then it's already clear what your job is. I'm telling you what your job isn't.

You're also telling me what decisions to make.

Yes, so long as he or she complies with the law.

What does the thread title say? This is about changing the law so that business owners have more freedom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Didn't the baker already make a decision to sell cakes to the public, when he opened a bakery open to the public?

It doesn't mean that the decision was without limits.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You're also telling me what decisions to make.

I'm telling you to do your (hypothetical) job. Is it really too much to ask?

What does the thread title say? This is about changing the law so that business owners have more freedom.

Freedom to discriminate. Let's be clear about what this "freedom" is. You want to be able to discriminate against certain members of the public and invoke your religion as an excuse.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm telling you to do your (hypothetical) job. Is it really too much to ask?

That's not your place to do that.

Freedom to discriminate. Let's be clear about what this "freedom" is. You want to be able to discriminate against certain members of the public and invoke your religion as an excuse.

Here we go again with the word-twisting.
Freedom to choose what things to do, based on conscience. Do you understand conscience?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Freedom to choose what things to do, based on conscience. Do you understand conscience?

Are you really suggesting that people should be able to freely act according to their conscience?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's not your place to do that.

When you're confused about what your role actually is, yes, it is my place to let you know.

If your conscience prevents you from operating a bakery to members of the public, then don't do it. This isn't my problem, but yours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Are you really suggesting that people should be able to freely act according to their conscience?

No, I'm suggesting that the government and other people should tell us what to do at every step because individuals do not know what is best for them and need to be treated like children from cradle to grave. :doh:

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When you're confused about what your role actually is, yes, it is my place to let you know.

I haven't expressed any confusion. I've simply told you what my decision would be in a given case. However, you appear very confused about my intention.

If your conscience prevents you from operating a bakery to members of the public, then don't do it. This isn't my problem, but yours.

It actually doesn't. It just prevents me from doing something that I view as being wrong for me to do.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, I'm suggesting that the government and other people should tell us what to do at every step because individuals do not know what is best for them and need to be treated like children from cradle to grave. :doh:

Being treated like a child is exactly what you are asking for. You want a paternalistic government to step in on your behalf and scold the other kids in the playground for having the audacity to play in the same sandpit as you. Because you're special. Don't the other kids know that?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Being treated like a child is exactly what you are asking for. You want a paternalistic government to step in on your behalf and scold the other kids in the playground for having the audacity to play in the same sandpit as you. Because you're special. Don't the other kids know that?

Well, I guess I better let the Archy guy on the internet boss me around then. He even tells me my intentions, my needs, and that I'm special. Nice to know.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

Sarcasm noted. But seriously, do you really think people should be free to act according to their conscience?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.