Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a person with a mild disability, I have seen this issue come up repeatedly and persistently.

Please understand that there is such a thing as overhelping. While I appreciate the kind intentions, in the long run it does far more harm than good.

Someone assumes I'm unable to do something on my own, or that I probably wouldn't be able to learn to do it. So, they rush in to do it for me. Or, they confuse physical strength with mental ability. They won't let me walk, or lift and carry anything, even when I specifically tell them I want to. They tell me basic common-sense facts most four-year-olds would know already. They speak to me in a clear, distinct, high-pitched "kindergarten teacher" voice, thinking I wouldn't understand any word longer than two syllables. They act shocked when they see me accomplishing some everyday life skill the average person can do without thinking twice about it. They constantly warn me to be careful when going about daily life, as if I don't know what the dangers are. They jump in to assist me with tasks that are not even affected by my actual disability. At the first sign of a mistake or a struggle, they never let me try again.

And in the end, this is what happens:

1. I don't get any stronger.
2. I lose what little strength I have left.
3. I don't get a chance to learn from mistakes.

It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. By assuming something is true, the situation is set up for it to *become* true. By refusing to teach me some skill, these well-meaning overhelpers guarantee that I don't learn that skill. This means I can't do it, and I'll have to have it done for me. I end up being able to do even less for myself than I started out doing.

This does me no favors. It doesn't help me at all. It harms me. Greatly.

Even a healthy child would never learn to walk if not allowed to fall down and get back up again.

If I ask for help, I appreciate it very much. If I don't ask for help, and I'm allowed to do it for myself, I appreciate that even more. It may take me longer to get it done, but left alone, I can do it. I may need some accommodations, but left alone, I can do it. Please allow me to decide for myself what I'm capable of, and please allow me to make the same mistakes everybody else is allowed to make. Please stop suffocating me.

Thank you.

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw a video once of someone who was speaking to someone who thought that person couldn't understand them so they spoke in a real slow voice enunciating every syllable. The person replied in the same manner and the original speaker couldn't understand why they were speaking in such a manner.
I remember it was a Star Trek Voyager episode and these super intelligent beings were talking to the EMH.

Maybe when these people speak to you as if you were a child, you could respond in the same way. Hopefully they will see what fools they were.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too bad it doesn't balance out better. Some people don't get the help they need. Others get flooded with WAY more help than they need. And then some people find themselves going between two extremes because feelings get hurt. Tell them you can do that by yourself, and they walk away in a huff. "See if I ever help you again!" Get in trouble and have a problem, and then you get a sarcastic, "Oh, but I thought you said you could take care of yourself!"

Everybody needs help now and then, disability or none. Everybody has problems and suffers mishaps. That doesn't mean they need EVERYTHING done for them. This is what people don't understand.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tell them you can do that by yourself, and they walk away in a huff. "See if I ever help you again!" Get in trouble and have a problem, and then you get a sarcastic, "Oh, but I thought you said you could take care of yourself!"
Any people who reply like this are not displaying any love at all. No Christian values. These people are acting like MERE men.

Upvote 0