Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What do you think of people who conquered drug and alcohol addictions at the same time that they left Christianity? They didn't necessarily leave Jesus, because they often included him and his teachings in their new universalist outlook, and included other religious teachings as well. Such as Hinduism and Buddhism, etc. They remained spiritual and devoted to God, but they freed themselves from the evangelical style of religion which they were raised in.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think there can be Christian culture stuff which helps to cause addiction. I mean if parents are not really Christians and they have only tried to get their kids to copy-cat what the parents have been doing. And then the children discover that it does not work to keep them deeply satisfied. So, the children go elsewhere with peers to try to find satisfaction. And the ones they associate with also do not know how to love. God's love is not satisfying them.

And so, in trying to kick an addiction, they might include various ideas, instead of submitting to God and learning with Jesus >

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

Also, there are children who rebel against how their parents showed them the right way. So, they go where they get nowhere, trying to pick and choose what will get them out of their addiction. And they can get isolated with people who are telling them what they want to hear. They might stop the addiction, but deeply they are not being cured in their character the way God is able to cure our nature in His love with almighty power against the nasty nonsense which drives people to substance abuse.

Only God through Jesus is able to change our nature so that the dominating and tormenting feelings and drives and reacting of addiction can not get the better of us. And only God is able to form Jesus in us as our new inner Person (Galatians 4:19) so we can please God like Jesus does (1 Peter 3:4, 2 Corinthians 2:14-15) and love like Jesus does (Ephesians 5:2) . . . more and more with growth and correction (Hebrews 12:4-11) and each other's help and good example (1 Peter 3:4).

So, ideas and practices and theories are not what really do all we need and all which God is committed to doing in us.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
. And lean not on your own understanding;
. In all your ways acknowledge Him,
. And He shall direct your paths."
. . . . . . . . . . . . . (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
On a semi-related note, I have another good friend who identifies mainly as a Christian. He believes in the resurrection and the atonement. But he is also a universalist, and he studies Hinduism as well. I don't understand his view (he was raised by irreligious parents) but I respect him greatly.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you think of people who conquered drug and alcohol addictions at the same time that they left Christianity?

Are there such people?
I know of people for whom Christianity enabled them to overcome addiction.

For those who leave Christianity, yet still have some regard for Jesus. I would want to know how they handly verse that Jesus spoke like in John 3 : 16- 18.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Are there such people?
I know of people for whom Christianity enabled them to overcome addiction.

For those who leave Christianity, yet still have some regard for Jesus. I would want to know how they handly verse that Jesus spoke like in John 3 : 16- 18.

They could respond to you by asking why you take that view, and why you believe that it was even a real event. Jesus's words in that chapter don't even sound to me like a real person talking. Something is a little "off".

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
What do you think of people who conquered drug and alcohol addictions at the same time that they left Christianity? They didn't necessarily leave Jesus, because they often included him and his teachings in their new universalist outlook, and included other religious teachings as well. Such as Hinduism and Buddhism, etc. They remained spiritual and devoted to God, but they freed themselves from the evangelical style of religion which they were raised in.
I freed myself after leaving mainstream Christianity & the shackles of a lording "God" & by realizing the simple, common-sensical truths taught in early Buddhism (suffering caused by desire & aversions) ... with addictions manifested as a facet of desire, and fears manifested as a facet of aversions (e.g. such as fears about committing the "unforgivable sin", etc.)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They could respond to you by asking why you take that view, and why you believe that it was even a real event. Jesus's words in that chapter don't even sound to me like a real person talking. Something is a little "off".

I'm making a simple point.
One either accepts Jesus or one rejects Jesus.
There is no, 'I'm not a Christian but I respect Jesus as a great teacher etc'

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm making a simple point.
One either accepts Jesus or one rejects Jesus.
There is no, 'I'm not a Christian but I respect Jesus as a great teacher etc'

You have rejected Jesus, according to some followers of Jesus. Traditional Christianity has rejected the true Jesus, have disposed of him like garbage, and have instead embraced the Beast and replaced the true Jesus with the Beast. That is what Revelation 13 tells me. And that is the basic message of the entire New Testament.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have rejected Jesus, according to some followers of Jesus. Traditional Christianity has rejected the true Jesus, have disposed of him like garbage, and have instead embraced the Beast and replaced the true Jesus with the Beast. That is what Revelation 13 tells me. And that is the basic message of the entire New Testament.

That is your opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You reject it because it isn't as "popular" as evangelical Christianity. Yet your own scripture says that the Beast followers will be greater in number than the true followers of Christ.
No I reject it because it is false.

Christians find Jesus through the bible and from sermons etc based on what the bible says.

As Rev 13 says a false god will attact worshippers who will attack Gods people, that is Christians.

Question for you. Who in the world is seeking to follow Jesus the most?
Is it humanists. Christians. Muslims or some other group.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No I reject it because it is false.

Christians find Jesus through the bible and from sermons etc based on what the bible says.

As Rev 13 says a false god will attact worshippers who will attack Gods people, that is Christians.

Question for you. Who in the world is seeking to follow Jesus the most?
Is it humanists. Christians. Muslims or some other group.

Since Christians have never followed Christ, the obvious answer is humanists, Muslims, Jews, etc. There was a brief time in the period of Enlightenment through the early 20th century. Many were starting charities and building hospitals in the name of Jesus. But fundamentalism quickly took over and the spirit of God left the church in the mid 20th century. At least Protestant Christianity for the most part. The most popular are the evangelical and nondenom Christians, who are basically heretics in my opinion, and are following Satan just like the Pharisees which Jesus and Paul broke away from.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since Christians have never followed Christ
So what is it that Christians should be doing, in your opinion, if they are to follow Jesus?

how does humanistic ideas ensure that justice is available to all?
It is Christianity that teaches that everyone is equal under the law.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Apparently the various 12-step programs require a belief in a higher power. I've never heard of freedom from addiction resulting from loss of faith in Christianity. However, I can imagine that a Christian might put too much hope in prayer and not get proper treatment for the addiction to supplement the prayer. In that way, the loss of faith might force the person to get treatment and eventually freedom from addiction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Apparently the various 12-step programs require a belief in a higher power. I've never heard of freedom from addiction resulting from loss of faith in Christianity. However, I can imagine that a Christian might put too much hope in prayer and not get proper treatment for the addiction to supplement the prayer. In that way, the loss of faith might force the person to get treatment and eventually freedom from addiction.

It's good to believe in a higher power (in my opinion). That's not even what I was asking about. I was referring to giving up the Christian dogma, and learning that God is actually a loving God.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's good to believe in a higher power (in my opinion). That's not even what I was asking about. I was referring to giving up the Christian dogma, and learning that God is actually a loving God.
o.k. that's a good point

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP

I do find it telling when atheists tell Christians that we've rejected the true Jesus. Specially on a Christian forum. They want to preach to us, just as much as they accuse Christians of it. Only they do so in a far more slimy manners then the worst Christian preachers can manage.

But we're to believe them?

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I do find it telling when atheists tell Christians that we've rejected the true Jesus. Specially on a Christian forum. They want to preach to us, just as much as they accuse Christians of it. Only they do so in a far more slimy manners then the worst Christian preachers can manage.

But we're to believe them?

Sorry, but that just doesn't hold water. The Christian dogma of eternal punishment is the worst and most violent idea that any man has ever come up with. It's worse than Hitler. Worse than the most evil dictator to trillionth degree.

You need to understand that when you imagine a Christian as a humble person praying in church, or a little child praying at home under a candle in a serene setting, nonbelievers can only see the hatred and violence that it represents. You "say" it without saying anything. Just by your acknowledgement that you believe in it, you are actually saying the most vile and disgusting things ever imagined.

• Agree
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
No, that's you placing that type of mindset or justification to that. Sorry, but that's what doesn't fly. But hey, noting like generalizations that actually have very little to do with most Christians. Or why stop there, let's apply blanket theories like that to anyone of faith. Bring up modern terrorism as emblematic of all Muslims or the Rohingya situation in Myanmar as emblematic of all Buddhists.:rolleyes: Or why don't we as Christians keep bringing up so called secular atrocities from the Enlightment era in Europe.

This makes me laugh at who's actually spouting out hate here.

I'd not try to tell Christians what they believe, just like we shouldn't tell you what you don't believe.

Upvote 0