Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I seen Overcomer this past Sunday with my wife at our local theater. I was not a big fan of the Kendrick brothers films before. Besides Overcomer, their previous movies might have a couple good scenes here and there, but as a whole, I was just not a fan of any of their films. I prefered movies like Time Changer, What if, the War Within, and the Redemption of Henry Myers.

Overcomer is a descent Christian film that I can watch on rare occasion. It has a great Christian message. What is your identity? We should all be able to identify immediately that we are children of God (or of Christ). The movie helps to get this point across along with some emotional scenes and great camera work and a production value. While it is not a perfect Christian film, it is entertaining and leads a person to appreciate the importance of Jesus Christ and having forgiveness in Him.

I have two minor problems with the film.
If you are interested, click on the spoiler button to check them out.

One minor problem I did not like in the film is that the main girl in the film (who had asma) could have been a more likeable character. We did not get to side with her and grow to like her appropriately because she was really a quite character (Who did not open up to us as an audience). Two, the mother of the main girl had a prayer scene that was really forced. It felt like it was tacked on and nothing really precipitated her to do that. But despite these minor things within the movie, the film still really works well.

Unbelievers will of course bash the film and say it is horrible.
But the message of the film is spiritual, and that is why they cannot appreciate this kind of movie. The Word of God is entirely foreign to them.

In any event, it is worth catching in the theater (if you have the time).

I give the film a rating of a: "B -" or a "C+."

The movie is good as a witnessing tool to tell others about accepting Christ.
It is not really about discipleship or teaching believers how they need to follow the Lord and obey His commands. It is about getting to know the Lord and in identifying with Him. Granted, the movie does sort of teach that we can overcome and or have victory in Christ. But this is a more subtle message within the film. We can see moments where the characters need to overcome hard situations. They find that they can do this through Christ. But this is done in a more subtle or silent way in the film.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like you, I'm not a big fan of the Kendrick brothers movies; nevertheless, they do always have a good message - they just don't make very good films.

While I am not into watching secular movies anymore, the free educational tips from scriptsecrets.net is very helpful in making good scripts.

Here is an example of one of their tips:
Screenwriting Tip Of The Day by William C. Martell - rewrites

I think the director would benefit from checking out these kinds of tips;
Granted, it is unlikely he will see this thread and take my advice (even if he did see this thread by some odd chance). But God bless him either way for making movies that lead others to Christ.

Of course there is also the acting and directing portion of things to make a good movie, as well (Among other things). The director should encourage the lead actor or actress in contributing dialogue to the movie that they may feel is more natural, as well. I seen this mentioned on the commentary in the Christian movie called "The War Within" and it worked a whole lot better than what they had in the script originally.

Now that was a very good Christian movie - IMO.
Don't watch the trailer for "the War Within" It may turn you off from seeing it. Just watch the movie. It is awesome. Very creative, and well acted with a powerful Christian message.

full

You can watch this for free if you have Amazon Prime:
Amazon.com: Watch The War Within | Prime Video

It is also a very emotional film, as well.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have not seen The War Within and will watch on your recommendation.
I agree with you completely in regards to being thankful for the work the Kendrick brothers are doing.
Yes, movie making is a collaborative art - everything has to come together to make a good film.

Upvote 0