Montgomery
✟141,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even then, there could still be more pistols in the car and you just threw one of them.

Once you start shooting at police, it gets increasingly difficult to not have them shoot back at you. Cops are weird that way.
When I was training as a K9 Officer we tracked the decoy to a tree he had climbed and I ordered him to drop the gun. He threw down a gun and when I approached he shot me with a paint ball gun. They taught us to never assume there was just one gun.

• Informative
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jayland Walker was shot on June 27th, fleeing the police after an alleged traffic offence. His body had 60 bullet wounds. It is alleged that 90 rounds were fired at Walker in the space of a few seconds.

A firearm was discovered in his car. No weapons were found on or near the body. Eight officers have been suspended from duty.

NAACP’s president, Derrick Johnson, said in a statement that Walker’s death wasn’t self-defense, but “was murder. Point blank.”

From the Guardian article: Outrage after video of police fatally shooting Jayland Walker released

Johnson added: “This Black man was killed – struck more than 60 times by 90 fired bullets – for a possible traffic violation. This doesn’t happen to white people in America. Why do police continuously target us like domestic terrorists? We are just trying to live our lives, and we are tired of being hunted like prey.”

'Murder, point blank.' What else could it be?
Because we have problems with compliance.

• Winner
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,066.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have found an interesting article that may give some explanations.

Why American Cops Kill So Many Compared To European Cops

By contrast, national standards in most European countries conform to the European Convention on Human Rights, which impels its 47 signatories to permit only deadly force that is “absolutely necessary” to achieve a lawful purpose. Killings excused under America’s “reasonable belief” standards often violate Europe’s “absolute necessity” standards.

For example, the unfounded fear of Darren Wilson – the former Ferguson cop who fatally shot Michael Brown – that Brown was armed would not have likely absolved him in Europe. Nor would officers’ fears of the screwdriver that a mentally ill Dallas man Jason Harrison refused to drop.

Why American Cops Kill So Many More Than European Cops

So, it seems that just a "reasonable belief" that he might have a gun, that he might shoot back, that he might endanger public safety etc. is enough for American police force to shoot. But its not enough in other countries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,615.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, it seems that just a "reasonable belief" that he might have a gun, that he might shoot back, that he might endanger public safety etc. is enough for American police force to shoot. But its not enough in other countries.
Might be armed, might shoot,might be a threat is the usual cop out. But this man was running away from the cops.

• Agree
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

By contrast, national standards in most European countries conform to the European Convention on Human Rights, which impels its 47 signatories to permit only deadly force that is “absolutely necessary” to achieve a lawful purpose. Killings excused under America’s “reasonable belief” standards often violate Europe’s “absolute necessity” standards.

For example, the unfounded fear of Darren Wilson – the former Ferguson cop who fatally shot Michael Brown – that Brown was armed would not have likely absolved him in Europe. Nor would officers’ fears of the screwdriver that a mentally ill Dallas man Jason Harrison refused to drop.

In America the elements that must be present for law enforcement to use deadly force are ability, opportunity, jeopardy and preclusion. Did the suspect have the ability to kill you or another person? Did he have the opportunity to kill you or another person? Would a REASONABLE PERSON believe that someone's life was in jeopardy? And in recent years preclusion has been added meaning you couldn't have stopped the threat by less deadly means. If these elements are not met the use of deadly force is not justified.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It is a problem of culture. There has been a rise in my lifetime of people saying they would shoot it out with the police, and the police have been reacting in kind which reinforces the choice to shoot at the cops if you are being pulled over.

Until the circle of fire dies down, this will keep getting worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,066.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Europe, killing is considered unnecessary if alternatives exist. For example, national guidelines in Spain would have prescribed that Wilson incrementally pursue verbal warnings, warning shots, and shots at nonvital parts of the body before resorting to deadly force. Six shots would likely be deemed disproportionate to the threat that Brown, unarmed and wounded, allegedly posed.

In the US, only eight states require verbal warnings (when possible), while warning and leg shots are typically prohibited. In stark contrast, Finland and Norway require that police obtain permission from a superior officer, whenever possible, before shooting anyone.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Europe, killing is considered unnecessary if alternatives exist. For example, national guidelines in Spain would have prescribed that Wilson incrementally pursue verbal warnings, warning shots, and shots at nonvital parts of the body before resorting to deadly force. Six shots would likely be deemed disproportionate to the threat that Brown, unarmed and wounded, allegedly posed.

In the US, only eight states require verbal warnings (when possible), while warning and leg shots are typically prohibited. In stark contrast, Finland and Norway require that police obtain permission from a superior officer, whenever possible, before shooting anyone.

If someone tries to stab you or shoot you how are you going to have time to get permission from a superior officer before defending yourself?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,615.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah..it would have been one thing if he was fleeing in a car. But on foot there is no excuse.
If he was fleeing in a car, I doubt he would have sixty gunshot wounds. By the same token,I doubt a man, running away on foot in the dark of night, a smaller moving target would get shot 60 times.

• Agree
Reactions: Whyayeman
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah..it would have been one thing if he was fleeing in a car. But on foot there is no excuse.
He shot at the police while driving away from the police.

Then he got out of the car and ran.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I do not know, but in many other cases was. The excessive amount of fired shots is just strange. Its like they thought he is a superman or something.

It's actually not that strange. It could just be bad reporting. To accurately count 60 shots means that you can find 60 entry wounds and either 60 bullets or 60 exit wounds or some combination of the two.

Otherwise that sixty is essentially a guess, and there's a possibility that entry wounds are being counted as exit wounds.

This is semantic though, they were correct to shoot in what is a reasonably justifiable situation. They shoot until he stops moving or clearly no longer has a gun. Police aren't trained to walk up on a suspect lying on the ground, clearly alive and believed armed, and give him one last chance to kill a cop because they only shot him twice and he needs medical attention.

I mean the contrast between the whining about this case and the whining over Uvalde is ridiculous.

The police didn't act with enough aggression.

The police were too aggressive. I want them to shoot exactly as many times as it takes to do the job, not a shot more.

Do you realize what this is doing to police? In Seattle, they aren't even investigating most rapes. They've lost too many police. If your stuff gets stolen or some other property crime? Don't even bother calling...they aren't showing up....there's no one to send.

Somewhere between the lack of aggressiveness of Uvalde and the correct but possibly over aggressiveness of this shooting....is some degree of both correct procedure and level of aggressiveness that the public imagines they all agree on, and they don't. It doesn't matter what a cop does I'm certain some foolish person can find some criticism 100% of the time.

How come we don't look at this guy and figure out where he turned to a life of crime? If people want to avoid these things from happening, they need to accept reality.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Even then, there could still be more pistols in the car and you just threw one of them.

True....but an odd assumption. If I see a suspect shoot, and he throws the gun out the window....it would be odd to consider him armed unless he presented another weapon.

It assumes the gun thrown is pretty clearly visible though.

Upvote 0