Outrage after police fatally shoot Jayland Walker in Ohio

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah that's not really how it works.

If you shoot at police and flee...they have no reason to believe you are not armed and dangerous unless they see the pistol get thrown from the window.
Even then, there could still be more pistols in the car and you just threw one of them.

Once you start shooting at police, it gets increasingly difficult to not have them shoot back at you. Cops are weird that way.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The amount of shots fired is strange.

It seems that every policeman on the scene wanted to empty his gun. It seems they are trained to make sure the person running away ends really dead without a hope to recover later. Not sure why. Perhaps somebody living in the USA can shed more light on this way of handling things there.
A person who has been wounded in non-vital areas can still take lives in the fraction of a second. Police are trained to shoot like this to make sure that when they need to take a shot, they neutralise the threat.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A person who has been wounded in non-vital areas can still take lives in the fraction of a second. Police are trained to shoot like this to make sure that when they need to take a shot, they neutralise the threat.
I do not know of any police force in a democratic country trained to "shoot to make sure he is dead".

They are trained to evaluate the threat in every situation and not to use an excessive force.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I do not know of any police force in a democratic country trained to "shoot to make sure he is dead".

They are trained to evaluate the threat in every situation and not to use an excessive force.
I don't think excessive force was used in this case. Lethal force was obviously warranted in this situation, and the perp was dead. Seems pretty much on point to me.

I didn't write that they shoot to make sure he's dead, I wrote that the aim is to neutralise the threat. As I said, someone shot in the leg can still easily kill several people with a handgun. So can a person hit in the stomach. Even a certainly lethal hit takes a few seconds to incapacitate on its own in most cases.

Real life isnt like hollywood where the bad guy falls down after one shot and stops moving immediately.

Reactions: timtams
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't write that they shoot to make sure he's dead, I wrote that the aim is to neutralise the threat.
What threat, exactly, in this case? Running away is not a threat that must be stopped by using a shooting force.

Also the massive amount of shooting in a dark park or what the place was?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What threat, exactly, in this case? Running away is not a threat that must be stopped by using a shooting force.

Also the massive amount of shooting in a dark park or what the place was?
In case you haven't noticed, the man had fired on the police. It was entirely reasonable for the police to assume that he was still armed and willing to shoot at police or innocent people again in his bid to escape.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In case you haven't noticed, the man had fired on the police. It was entirely reasonable for the police to assume that he was still armed and willing to shoot at police or innocent people again in his bid to escape.
Can you post any example of a similar police action outside of the USA in a democratic country?

I mean shooting about 60 shots in a dark park at somebody who is running away on foot and not shooting back.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Can you post any example of a similar police action outside of the USA in a democratic country?
I don't see what that would contribute to this thread, or what this has to do with the post you quoted.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see what that would contribute to this thread, or what this has to do with the post you quoted.
You are claiming its reasonable. If its reasonable, why does not it happen elsewhere?

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I mean shooting about 60 shots in a dark park at somebody who is running away on foot and not shooting back.

Exactly! Wow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You are claiming its reasonable. If its reasonable, why does not it happen elsewhere?
That's not the definition of reasonableness I am operating under.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So, is it reasonable only in the USA?
You should really stop pretending people said things they didn't say. It makes those people want to stop having a discussion with you.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟148,947.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You should really stop pretending people said things they didn't say. It makes those people want to stop having a discussion with you.
Well, there is a problem when some people (not just you) say/claim something but are not willing to actually expand their thought or explain it and switch to a technicality mode instead, to evade a further conversation.

Such unwillingness to be more open about your reasoning frequently leads to useless questions that cannot be precise (because I cannot know what is in your head).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not know, but in many other cases was. The excessive amount of fired shots is just strange. Its like they thought he is a superman or something.
WOW!:bigeye: By George I think you got it! Ding,ding,ding,ding :tutu::tutu:.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, is it reasonable only in the USA? If so, why?

It's not reasonable at all. That's the problem. And when people point it out, others can't seem to understand that. The rest of the world doesn't live like that.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think most are saying if the story lines up shooting him was fine, maybe 16 shots was fine just to make sure, but 80 shots? That's endangering lives by risking anyone in the area. even if your shooting center mass once the guy goes down any extra shots are going where he no longer is, unless they are shooting him on the ground.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I find it very interesting that this young man(black) who killed nobody was pumped with 60 bullets.While the 22 y/o white dude that allegedly shot and killed six and injured 24 others was taken into custody alive.:scratch:

• Winner
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jayland Walker was shot on June 27th, fleeing the police after an alleged traffic offence. His body had 60 bullet wounds. It is alleged that 90 rounds were fired at Walker in the space of a few seconds.

A firearm was discovered in his car. No weapons were found on or near the body. Eight officers have been suspended from duty.

NAACP’s president, Derrick Johnson, said in a statement that Walker’s death wasn’t self-defense, but “was murder. Point blank.”

From the Guardian article: Outrage after video of police fatally shooting Jayland Walker released

Johnson added: “This Black man was killed – struck more than 60 times by 90 fired bullets – for a possible traffic violation. This doesn’t happen to white people in America. Why do police continuously target us like domestic terrorists? We are just trying to live our lives, and we are tired of being hunted like prey.”

'Murder, point blank.' What else could it be?
The police should be held d accountable if it comes out they had no reason to shoot him.
But it was Stupid on his part. Why was he running. Please don’t say he was scared. When I get pulled over I am scared because they are so I put my hands on the steering wheel and don’t move until the officer tells me. If he was running do to a traffic stop that means he ditched the car after a chase which endangered lives. No reason to run if you respect the situation. In case you don’t know it is scary as all get out to pull someone over. Especially in a bad area or if they give a reason to be alarmed.

Upvote 0