• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Outdoor icon shrines

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by All4Christ, Sep 15, 2021.

1. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,394
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We are planning to put together a devotional area in our woods with some outdoor icon shrines / stands.

Have any of you done this (outside icon shrine /stand)? If so, what was your method to protect the icon?

I’m looking for something durable, reasonably priced or able to be built with basic woodworking tools, etc.

Any ideas or photos would be great!

This is one idea I have:

0914AA5B-554A-44AC-B67A-45A951A2B856.jpeg

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,686
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    only idea I have is put St Seraphim if you have a big rock.

but seriously, talk to a monastery since they usually have those.

3. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,375
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Roadside shrines (not always found by the roadside but in remote areas) are popular in many countries. You usually mount a shadowbox and place the icon Inside. They can get elaborate but any kind of durable box where you can place a plexiglass door or see through window or even a cabinet someones about to throw out.

. greek-ikons-inside-roadside-shrine-E6RRNJ.jpg

4. TheWhat?

TheWhat? Well-Known Member

+365
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I took this photo of one a couple of years ago at a monsastic retreat.

icon.jpg

This was a newer icon so I suspect it is made out of modern, more durable materials, but, if it is not considered offensive to do so, I would think a good lacquer or even epoxy resin coat might do the job. As you can see they have a snow problem which is taken care of by the larger protective covering.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  5. TheWhat?

TheWhat? Well-Known Member

+365
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    IIRC, there were a few older ones there that did have a plexiglass covering also.

6. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+16,279
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Laura, you might also find it helpful to look at the methods people use to protect books in Little Free Libraries; a very similar concept in that one wants to be able to see the object but also protect a relatively fragile item from the weather.

7. peregrinus2017

peregrinus2017 Active Member

+342
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I have purchased laminated icon prints and mounted them onto wood. If they use a high quality laminating film, the low gloss finish is quite pleasant, and I expect they would hold up well under those conditions.

8. SamanthaAnastasia

SamanthaAnastasia Just a library lady

+733
    Germany
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
  9. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+9,059
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    They are not necessarily UV stabilised and may deteriorate over time with exposure to the sun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. All4Christ

+7,394
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thank you all!

I am excited to go through this all and plan out what we will do. (The project manager in me likes to have plans before starting lol).

Your comment about the stone, Fr Matt, made me think of our bee hives. We may put an icon of one of the patron saints of bee keeping near the hives! I think there are three different ones, so we’d need to pick one. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  11. ArmyMatt

+16,686
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    nice, haha. you could do all three. have a synaxis of holy beekeepers

12. All4Christ

+7,394
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Great idea!! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. prodromos

+9,059
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Remember that beekeeper in Greece, who put icons inside his bee hives, and how the bees had respect for the images of the Saints and the Holy Cross?

14. ArmyMatt

+16,686
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    no problem!

15. prodromos

+9,059
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  16. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+925
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    My folks have a carved icon of the Rublev Trinity which they bought from a Roman Catholic bookstore at least fifteen years ago. It isn't painted, but it has been beside the front door for almost twenty years now and is still in pretty decent shape.

17. All4Christ

+7,394
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  18. ArmyMatt

+16,686
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married