✟1,352,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 4:1 ESV

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.”

What is a spirit?

What is a spirit? It is wind or breath. It can be a revelation, a teaching and/or a teacher, preacher, or prophet, and/or a spiritual influence. It can also be the heart, soul and lifeforce of a person and/or of his/her words.

Basically, we are not to believe everything we hear people speak, no matter who they are. It doesn’t matter if the person is dead or alive, or if he is Billy Graham or Max Lucado or the Pope or Barack Obama or Donald Trump or CNN or Fox News or your preacher or whoever.

Why? Because not everyone tells the truth, not even the people we may think always do (or did) tell the truth. Even those we might think are the most reputable and honored might lie to us. They might even be living in sin while they are putting on an image of piety and purity.

We also need to be on the lookout for Scriptures taken out of context. Not every verse stands alone on itself. If taken out of context, Bible verses can be used to teach something that the Scriptures do not teach. So, even though it comes from the Bible, we need to read verses in their context.

Testing the Spirits

How do we test the spirits? What are we looking for exactly? We are looking to see if what they are telling us is the truth or not. And our measure is the word of God (studied in context). So many false teachings come from Scriptures taught out of context and twisted to say something false.

It isn’t that the Scripture is false, but when it is pulled out of context, and taught as doctrine by itself without the context, what is being taught is often false, and much of this is intentional. For, Satan disguises himself as an angel of light and his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness.

We also need to test what we hear against the divine nature of God. Since he is a God of purity, truth, righteousness, holiness, and justice, we need to ask ourselves if what we are hearing is pure, truthful, righteous, holy, and just. Are we being encouraged toward holy living or toward sinful living?

The Lies

Lies often are made to sound like truth. They sound good, and they can be very comforting. Often they are a clever blend of truth and lies so that it appears as truth when it is not. So, those who are spreading the lies will use Scripture (out of context) to support their lies.

There are many false teachers today who are teaching a false gospel which is an intentional half-truth gospel, so it is a lie. They cherry pick the Scriptures which support the message they want to give out, while they ignore the Scriptures which are contrary to their false message.

The message they are giving is that we can be saved from our sins and have heaven guaranteed us as our eternal destiny based on a one-time profession of faith in Jesus Christ or based on words we repeated after someone else in a prayer or based on a verbal confession of Christ as Lord.

There is no requirement, though, in this teaching, that we change how we live. Some may say that if we never change that we weren’t really saved to begin with, while others make no requirement for repentance, while others are teaching against repentance, obedience, and submission to Christ.

The gospel they are teaching is what I call a “Do Nothing” gospel, for it teaches that God does it all and we do nothing.

The Truth

Yes, we can’t earn our own salvation via our own good works. Yes, we are saved only by God’s grace, through faith, and this not of ourselves, but it is the gift of God, not of works lest any of us should boast that we somehow earned or deserved our own salvation (Eph 2:8-9).

But our salvation is not absent of works, and we will be judged by our works, for we are now God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared in advance that we should walk in them. And if we don’t walk in them, we aren’t saved, and we don’t have eternal life.

[Rom 2:6-8; 1 Co 15:58; 2 Co 9:8; Eph 2:10; Phil 2:12-13; Gal 6:7-8]

Jesus said that if we would come after him we must deny self, take up our cross daily (die daily to sin) and follow (obey) him. For, if we hold on to our old lives (of living in sin and for self), we will lose them for eternity. But if we lose our lives (die daily with Christ to sin) for Jesus’ sake, we will live (Lu 9:23-26).

Paul taught the same. He taught that faith in Jesus Christ means dying with Christ to sin and living to Christ and to his righteousness, and that if we live in sin and we don’t walk according to the Spirit, that we will die in our sins. We will not inherit eternal life with God.

[Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-24; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 3:5-11]

So, the Scriptures do not teach “once saved always saved.” They do not teach that our actions do not matter or that God does it all and we do nothing. They teach that Jesus died that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness (1 Pet 2:24; 2 Co 5:15).

And they also teach that we must continue in Christ and in his word, in action and in truth, until the end of our lives if we want to be saved from our sins and have eternal life with God. And we must be those who are bearing fruit for God’s eternal kingdom, too.

[Jn 8:31-32; Jn 15:1-12; Rom 11:17-24; 1 Co 15:2; Col 1:21-23; 2 Tim 2:10-13; Heb 3:6, 14-15; 2 Pet 1:5-11; 1 Jn 2:24-25]

So, test every spirit against the word of God (in context). Study the Scriptures for yourself. Don’t believe everyone you hear, and watch out for Scriptures taught out of context. Know the context and you will know the truth, and it is the truth that sets people free from bondage to sin.

The Lord’s Anointed

An Original Work / December 16, 2011
Based off Isaiah 61

The Spirit of the Sov’reign Lord on me;
Anointed to preach the Good News;
Sent me to bind up the brokenhearted;
Proclaim freedom for the captives.
He sent me to preach release for pris’ners
Who are walking in sin’s darkness;
Proclaim God’s grace to all men who’ll listen;
And tell them about God’s judgments;
Comfort all who mourn;
Give crowns of beauty;
Oil of gladness and thanksgiving.

They will be called oaks of God’s righteousness,
A planting of our Savior, God,
For the display of our Lord’s splendor, and
They will rebuild God’s holy church.
God will renew them, and will restore them,
And you’ll be called priests of the Lord.
You will be ministers of our God, and
You will rejoice in salvation.
The Lord loves justice;
He is faithful to
Reward those who are seeking Him.

I delight greatly in the Lord;
My soul rejoices in my Savior, God.
He has clothed me with His salvation,
And in a robe of His righteousness.
He has given me priestly garments to wear,
As the bride of Jesus Christ.
As the garden of our Lord and Savior,
He causes us to grow in Him.
He makes righteousness,
Praise, and thanksgiving
Spring up before all the nations.

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I didn't read the whole post but I did read the first couple of lines and the scripture it refers to. I think the word "spirit" could be translated to "what someone says". Don't believe everything people say. Test what they say.

It's why I stopped following Hal Lindsey a LONG time ago.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1 John 4:1 ESV

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.”

What is a spirit?

What is a spirit? It is wind or breath. It can be a revelation, a teaching and/or a teacher, preacher, or prophet, and/or a spiritual influence. It can also be the heart, soul and lifeforce of a person and/or of his/her words.

Basically, we are not to believe everything we hear people speak, no matter who they are. It doesn’t matter if the person is dead or alive, or if he is Billy Graham or Max Lucado or the Pope or Barack Obama or Donald Trump or CNN or Fox News or your preacher or whoever.

Why? Because not everyone tells the truth, not even the people we may think always do (or did) tell the truth. Even those we might think are the most reputable and honored might lie to us. They might even be living in sin while they are putting on an image of piety and purity.

We also need to be on the lookout for Scriptures taken out of context. Not every verse stands alone on itself. If taken out of context, Bible verses can be used to teach something that the Scriptures do not teach. So, even though it comes from the Bible, we need to read verses in their context.

Testing the Spirits

How do we test the spirits? What are we looking for exactly? We are looking to see if what they are telling us is the truth or not. And our measure is the word of God (studied in context). So many false teachings come from Scriptures taught out of context and twisted to say something false.

It isn’t that the Scripture is false, but when it is pulled out of context, and taught as doctrine by itself without the context, what is being taught is often false, and much of this is intentional. For, Satan disguises himself as an angel of light and his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness.

We also need to test what we hear against the divine nature of God. Since he is a God of purity, truth, righteousness, holiness, and justice, we need to ask ourselves if what we are hearing is pure, truthful, righteous, holy, and just. Are we being encouraged toward holy living or toward sinful living?

The Lies

Lies often are made to sound like truth. They sound good, and they can be very comforting. Often they are a clever blend of truth and lies so that it appears as truth when it is not. So, those who are spreading the lies will use Scripture (out of context) to support their lies.

There are many false teachers today who are teaching a false gospel which is an intentional half-truth gospel, so it is a lie. They cherry pick the Scriptures which support the message they want to give out, while they ignore the Scriptures which are contrary to their false message.

The message they are giving is that we can be saved from our sins and have heaven guaranteed us as our eternal destiny based on a one-time profession of faith in Jesus Christ or based on words we repeated after someone else in a prayer or based on a verbal confession of Christ as Lord.

There is no requirement, though, in this teaching, that we change how we live. Some may say that if we never change that we weren’t really saved to begin with, while others make no requirement for repentance, while others are teaching against repentance, obedience, and submission to Christ.

The gospel they are teaching is what I call a “Do Nothing” gospel, for it teaches that God does it all and we do nothing.

The Truth

Yes, we can’t earn our own salvation via our own good works. Yes, we are saved only by God’s grace, through faith, and this not of ourselves, but it is the gift of God, not of works lest any of us should boast that we somehow earned or deserved our own salvation (Eph 2:8-9).

But our salvation is not absent of works, and we will be judged by our works, for we are now God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared in advance that we should walk in them. And if we don’t walk in them, we aren’t saved, and we don’t have eternal life.

[Rom 2:6-8; 1 Co 15:58; 2 Co 9:8; Eph 2:10; Phil 2:12-13; Gal 6:7-8]

Jesus said that if we would come after him we must deny self, take up our cross daily (die daily to sin) and follow (obey) him. For, if we hold on to our old lives (of living in sin and for self), we will lose them for eternity. But if we lose our lives (die daily with Christ to sin) for Jesus’ sake, we will live (Lu 9:23-26).

Paul taught the same. He taught that faith in Jesus Christ means dying with Christ to sin and living to Christ and to his righteousness, and that if we live in sin and we don’t walk according to the Spirit, that we will die in our sins. We will not inherit eternal life with God.

[Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-24; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 3:5-11]

So, the Scriptures do not teach “once saved always saved.” They do not teach that our actions do not matter or that God does it all and we do nothing. They teach that Jesus died that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness (1 Pet 2:24; 2 Co 5:15).

And they also teach that we must continue in Christ and in his word, in action and in truth, until the end of our lives if we want to be saved from our sins and have eternal life with God. And we must be those who are bearing fruit for God’s eternal kingdom, too.

[Jn 8:31-32; Jn 15:1-12; Rom 11:17-24; 1 Co 15:2; Col 1:21-23; 2 Tim 2:10-13; Heb 3:6, 14-15; 2 Pet 1:5-11; 1 Jn 2:24-25]

So, test every spirit against the word of God (in context). Study the Scriptures for yourself. Don’t believe everyone you hear, and watch out for Scriptures taught out of context. Know the context and you will know the truth, and it is the truth that sets people free from bondage to sin.

The Lord’s Anointed

An Original Work / December 16, 2011
Based off Isaiah 61

The Spirit of the Sov’reign Lord on me;
Anointed to preach the Good News;
Sent me to bind up the brokenhearted;
Proclaim freedom for the captives.
He sent me to preach release for pris’ners
Who are walking in sin’s darkness;
Proclaim God’s grace to all men who’ll listen;
And tell them about God’s judgments;
Comfort all who mourn;
Give crowns of beauty;
Oil of gladness and thanksgiving.

They will be called oaks of God’s righteousness,
A planting of our Savior, God,
For the display of our Lord’s splendor, and
They will rebuild God’s holy church.
God will renew them, and will restore them,
And you’ll be called priests of the Lord.
You will be ministers of our God, and
You will rejoice in salvation.
The Lord loves justice;
He is faithful to
Reward those who are seeking Him.

I delight greatly in the Lord;
My soul rejoices in my Savior, God.
He has clothed me with His salvation,
And in a robe of His righteousness.
He has given me priestly garments to wear,
As the bride of Jesus Christ.
As the garden of our Lord and Savior,
He causes us to grow in Him.
He makes righteousness,
Praise, and thanksgiving
Spring up before all the nations.

While I think your post is well-written and basically correct it weakens your argument by writing "We also need to be on the lookout for Scriptures taken out of context. Not every verse stands alone on itself. If taken out of context, Bible verses can be used to teach something that the Scriptures do not teach. So, even though it comes from the Bible, we need to read verses in their context." Yet your post is filled with out-of-context selections from Scripture. Naturally this is unavoidable if you quote Scripture, but it's best to cite whole paragraphs (or sections of poetry) from a modern translation instead of the artificial divisions created by verses.

For example, you quote these separated verses concerning "faith in Jesus Christ means dying with Christ to sin and living to Christ and to his righteousness": Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-24; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 3:5-11. Four separate selections from Paul's letter to the church in Rome, one selection -- two verses only -- from his first letter to the church in Corinth, one selection from his second letter to the church in Corinth, a single verse, two separate selections from his letter to the church in Galatia, two separate selections from his letter to the church in Ephesus, and a selection from his letter to the church in Colossae.

At the minimum, you should follow your own advice "It isn’t that the Scripture is false, but when it is pulled out of context, and taught as doctrine by itself without the context, what is being taught is often false, and much of this is intentional ... So, test every spirit against the word of God (in context). Study the Scriptures for yourself. Don’t believe everyone you hear, and watch out for Scriptures taught out of context. Know the context and you will know the truth, and it is the truth that sets people free from bondage to sin."

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I think your post is well-written and basically correct it weakens your argument by writing "We also need to be on the lookout for Scriptures taken out of context. Not every verse stands alone on itself. If taken out of context, Bible verses can be used to teach something that the Scriptures do not teach. So, even though it comes from the Bible, we need to read verses in their context." Yet your post is filled with out-of-context selections from Scripture. Naturally this is unavoidable if you quote Scripture, but it's best to cite whole paragraphs (or sections of poetry) from a modern translation instead of the artificial divisions created by verses.

For example, you quote these separated verses concerning "faith in Jesus Christ means dying with Christ to sin and living to Christ and to his righteousness": Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-24; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 3:5-11. Four separate selections from Paul's letter to the church in Rome, one selection -- two verses only -- from his first letter to the church in Corinth, one selection from his second letter to the church in Corinth, a single verse, two separate selections from his letter to the church in Galatia, two separate selections from his letter to the church in Ephesus, and a selection from his letter to the church in Colossae.

At the minimum, you should follow your own advice "It isn’t that the Scripture is false, but when it is pulled out of context, and taught as doctrine by itself without the context, what is being taught is often false, and much of this is intentional ... So, test every spirit against the word of God (in context). Study the Scriptures for yourself. Don’t believe everyone you hear, and watch out for Scriptures taught out of context. Know the context and you will know the truth, and it is the truth that sets people free from bondage to sin."
Out of context means it is not in agreement with the context in which it is written in how it is being applied. Obviously we can't quote entire passages of Scripture for every point we make, but we must be certain we are using it correctly, according to the context in which it is written, which is the verses surrounding it plus the book as a whole plus the whole of the New Testament teachings on salvation and eternal life with God.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was hoping you were headed to the place you ended up at. Good job.

False teachers teach these false teachings because they dont like the true Gospel...theirs it easier. And with it being easier, it will draw many followers, but those followers know the true gospel deep inside, and it will be no ones fault but their own if they choose not to live according to the true gospel.

Upvote 0