Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My wife and I watched this on Netflix. It is a very troubling documentary. Rather than reinvent the wheel and risk plagiarism, I going to share some reviews that I think accurately describe the film

"“The Social Dilemma” was released on Netflix in September and is a popular film among the platform’s viewers. The documentary-drama explores the adverse effects of social media that have become normalized in modern society, such as its addictive qualities, impact on mental and physical health, polarization of society, use in politics and role in spreading conspiracy theories."
Our social dilemma // The Observer

"She keeps touching her hair as if she wants to push her ears in. Earlier that day, someone shared an elephant emoji on one of her social media posts. “Can your ears be any bigger?” the person asked in a comment. Maybe it didn’t register at first.

It does now. Looking into the mirror, she pushes her ear in again as a tear drops down her face. You feel the pain she’s experiencing from what was probably meant as a joke.

Sadly, it’s not a joke. "

"The documentary is exposing some hard truths. It uses terms like surveillance capitalism and positive intermittent reinforcement....."
Why ‘The Social Dilemma’ On Netflix Is Such An Important Film

“Never before in history have 50 designers made decisions that would have an impact on two billion people,” says Tristan Harris, a former design ethicist at Google."
‘The Social Dilemma’ Review: Unplug and Run

"It seems that these platforms are populated and are indeed driven by algorithms that are individually calibrated to give each user what the platform decides that person wants to see, demonstrated by his pushing the "LIKE" buttons. Liberals get items with a liberal slant. Conservatives receive stories and items that match their previous likes. Those individuals who exhibit a liking of conspiracies get more of the same, as well as ads designed to sell black helicopters."
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/10/our_social_dilemma.html

I will share one experience that I had that drives home the point of the doc. My wife and I are often on the the same news sites at the same time with our different computer. Yet we are seeing different news stories because our likes are different and the newsfeed is tailored specifically to each of us. We no longer have freedom of the press, but manipulation of the press.

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I will share one experience that I had that drives home the point of the doc. My wife and I are often on the the same news sites at the same time with our different computer. Yet we are seeing different news stories because our likes are different and the newsfeed is tailored specifically to each of us. We no longer have freedom of the press, but manipulation of the press.

I remember reading article about some taxi ordering app that could actually figure out how much battery you had left on your phone and if it was low enough that there was a chance you might not be able to make second successful call the app raised the prizes it offered you since it figured you were more likely to accept them because you were afraid your phone would die.

Buying tickets or hotel rooms can be affected by where your physical location is or what time it is.

It is good to be aware of these and there are some counters you can use to offset these.

Reactions: Nevada Smith
Upvote 0

Gole

Oct 6, 2020
Carolinas
✟12,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For a long time (figuratively, not eschatologically), I've believed that Google is the Devil, Twitter is the Beast, and Facebook is the False Prophet.

Social media does to some extent bring people together, but it more divides people. It makes addicts of people getting their little dose of outrage/approval dopamine. It causes some to act like junkies and others to behave in ways that would get them punched in the mouth if they said what they said in person.

Even on this forum, you have people that will say pretty much anything without regard to how it appears, how it sounds to another, or even whether it is true. We're supposed to be Christians here, but it doesn't appear some got that memo or they like their dose of outrage/approval more.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nevada Smith
Upvote 0

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember reading article about some taxi ordering app that could actually figure out how much battery you had left on your phone and if it was low enough that there was a chance you might not be able to make second successful call the app raised the prizes it offered you since it figured you were more likely to accept them because you were afraid your phone would die.

Buying tickets or hotel rooms can be affected by where your physical location is or what time it is.

It is good to be aware of these and there are some counters you can use to offset these.
And the driver could charge a person to charge their phone. After all gas it not cheap. It probably takes about .001 oz. of gas to generate enough electricity to charge a cellphone.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know this yet do not learn from it!

Watch the news on ordinary TV, don't use computers for watching the news, also select and use news channels that one has to pay for.
Plan visit journeys carefully..on long journeys with ensure there is the opertunity to charge one's phone or carry a charging device or spare pay as you go phone that is fully charged.

Reduce one's onet print on the net, to reduce the chance for the online companies to sell your data.

Upvote 0