✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My daughter is pregnant! And confused!

...Tommorrow my daughter sees the doctor, and will make the decision on whether she will keep her baby or abort her baby. But she wouldn't have to make a choice if pro-choice supporters didn't insist on there being one.

At first, my wife and I told her it's okay, we will stick together as a family and do everything for you. And so she was on board. Then my eldest, atheist daughter told her not to listen to us because my wife and I are religiously biased, and that she would give her a ride to PP. She talked to a friend who told her she would be there for her when she delivers, and her other friend said she would probablybget an abortion. Then her cousin said to have the abortion because otherwise they won't be able to spend the summer together.

...So my daughter is literally going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, with everybody chipping in their two cents, confusing the life out of my daughters conscience. This 'choice' is stressing us all out to no end.

Life would be so much simpler without having to "choose".

Yeah...life would be so much easier if God just told you what to do all the time! You wouldn't have to think, make choices, or be responsible at all!

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah...life would be so much easier if God just told you what to do all the time! You wouldn't have to think, make choices, or be responsible at all!

I have no clue what you're talking about. There's nothing shameful about having a conscience 'influenced' by faith in a higher power... There's nothing wrong with having respect for human life.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, there's nothing wrong with letting nature take it's course, naturally.

...If I favored natural foods, natural birth and nature in general, and due to that, felt inclined to respect all life - while excluding the God factor - would that still be shameful..? Or would that preference be more acceptable? What's the difference anyways -aren't they both just preferences? Also, why couldn't someome have multiple reasons?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I guess as a father the only thing that you can say to your daughter is that the day that she was born was among the happiest days of your life, and that your life has been immeasurably better that she has been in your life.
And then let her know that your feelings for the life growing inside her would be exactly the same as your feelings for her and all your other children.
When all else, fails, tell the truth.

It is not a question of God, but a question of love. Of course, for Christians that is just like saying the same thing with different words, but no matter.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have no clue what you're talking about. There's nothing shameful about having a conscience 'influenced' by faith in a higher power... There's nothing wrong with having respect for human life.

There's also nothing wrong with making a choice either...

How old is she and does she know she'll still have your love and support if she decides to have an abortion? Certainly you don't want her to have the child just because you and your wife believe it's the right thing to do...right?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's also nothing wrong with making a choice either...

How old is she and does she know she'll still have your love and support if she decides to have an abortion? Certainly you don't want her to have the child just because you and your wife believe it's the right thing to do...right?

Fair enough... She's 19 and in college.

I did actually text her yesterday morning and told her her that whatever happens, me and her mom love her. I warned her about post pardom after having an abortion, about how depression can last a few months. I advised her not to be fooled by any feelings she might have, and that her younger sisters look up to her, and need her.

I also reminded her that she would not be damned to hell if she had an abortion, because she could confess - because even though that may seem like a cop-out to a non-Catholic, I doubt there's any Christian who thinks Jesus will not forgive a truly sorry Christian. And she wouldn't go to confession if she weren't sorry. And I have gone through with sin in the past (heavily burdoned by guilt), and that is the very definition of sin -doing it with full knowledge that it's a sin.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: TLK Valentine
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I did actually text her yesterday morning and told her her that whatever happens, me and her mom love her. I warned her about post pardom after having an abortion, about how depression can last a few months. I advised her not to be fooled by any feelings she might have, and that her younger sisters look up to her, and need her.

I also reminded her that she would not be damned to hell if she had an abortion, because she could confess - because even though that may seem like a cop-out to a non-Catholic, I doubt there's any Christian who thinks Jesus will not forgive a truly sorry Christian. And she wouldn't go to confession if she weren't sorry. And I have gone through with sin in the past (heavily burdoned by guilt), and that is the very definition of sin -doing it with full knowledge that it's a sin!

I'm not arrogant enough to pretend to know what's right for her...I just know of it were my child, I would love and support her decision no matter what.

It sounds like you do as well, and that's the most anyone can ask of you. I wish your family luck in this.

• Friendly
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not arrogant enough to pretend to know what's right for her...I just know of it were my child, I would love and support her decision no matter what.

It sounds like you do as well, and that's the most anyone can ask of you. I wish your family luck in this.

Thanks. I've given her all the knowledge on the topic that I can. I did it honestly. Now I sit and wait. The choice that she must face is now her dilemma.

Whether I agree with her decision will have no effect on my fatherly love, and I won't punish her. She now knows that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

I also reminded her that she would not be damned to hell if she had an abortion, because she could confess - because even though that may seem like a cop-out to a non-Catholic, I doubt there's any Christian who thinks Jesus will not forgive a truly sorry Christian. And she wouldn't go to confession if she weren't sorry. And I have gone through with sin in the past (heavily burdoned by guilt), and that is the very definition of sin -doing it with full knowledge that it's a sin.

It's a trying and traumatic situation regardless of the ultimate choice -- what she needs more than anything, it sounds like she has: Your continued love and support.

• Friendly
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I've given her all the knowledge on the topic that I can. I did it honestly. Now I sit and wait. The choice that she must face is now her dilemma.

Whether I agree with her decision will have no effect on my fatherly love, and I won't punish her. She now knows that.

Not sure how this is turning out or turned out, but adoption is also an option, even open adoption.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married