United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My daughter is pregnant! And confused!

...Tommorrow my daughter sees the doctor, and will make the decision on whether she will keep her baby or abort her baby. But she wouldn't have to make a choice if pro-choice supporters didn't insist on there being one.

At first, my wife and I told her it's okay, we will stick together as a family and do everything for you. And so she was on board. Then my eldest, atheist daughter told her not to listen to us because my wife and I are religiously biased, and that she would give her a ride to PP. She talked to a friend who told her she would be there for her when she delivers, and her other friend said she would probablybget an abortion. Then her cousin said to have the abortion because otherwise they won't be able to spend the summer together.

...So my daughter is literally going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, with everybody chipping in their two cents, confusing the life out of my daughters conscience. This 'choice' is stressing us all out to no end.

Life would be so much simpler without having to "choose".

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My daughter currently works part time and is in college to be a nurse. She could easily take a break in her studies, and return later.

...This is not a life-ending scenario. Geez. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can only say so much as a father, because the more I chip in, the more likely I am of coming off as aggressive, thus tipping her in the ooposite direction.

Good thing we have this 'choice' to contend with. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It must be a difficult time for her and you as her family.

One point I'd make is that in her consideration, she should consider the word choice in the phrase 'pro-choice'. It's her choice. If she decides one way or the other then it should be her choice alone because in one scenario she is then responsible for raising a child that, for example, may be incredibly high needs and/or disabled and it take over her life, or be the one to deal with the emotions and thoughts that come with abortion. Ultimately both present their challenges and as such should be decided by her own decision.

I am against abortion as a form of contraception to the extent we see it used so widely by many people, so the fact her cousin suggested it as a means of freeing up her summer is quite sad indeed.

I'm not a father so I can't speak to you as a fellow Dad, but I'd like to think if I were in your shoes that I'd be gentle and kind in my approach. By all means state your beliefs and opinion on the matter, but make sure she knows she's loved and that it isn't a decision to take lightly but you and your wife will support her through either aftermath.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's certainly life-threatening for the baby! She wants to kill it out of convenience. You have to show her otherwise.

How though? That's the thing, because I don't want her to view me as another person trying to influence her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It must be a difficult time for her and you as her family.

One point I'd make is that in her consideration, she should consider the word choice in the phrase 'pro-choice'. It's her choice. If she decides one way or the other then it should be her choice alone because in one scenario she is then responsible for raising a child that, for example, may be incredibly high needs and/or disabled and it take over her life, or be the one to deal with the emotions and thoughts that come with abortion. Ultimately both present their challenges and as such should be decided by her own decision.

I am against abortion as a form of contraception to the extent we see it used so widely by many people, so the fact her cousin suggested it as a means of freeing up her summer is quite sad indeed.

I'm not a father so I can't speak to you as a fellow Dad, but I'd like to think if I were in your shoes that I'd be gentle and kind in my approach. By all means state your beliefs and opinion on the matter, but make sure she knows she's loved and that it isn't a decision to take lightly but you and your wife will support her through either aftermath.

Apparently there is some pill she can take up to 10 weeks that poisons. We are a Catholic family. I'm stressed.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Apparently there is some pill she can take up to 10 weeks. We are a Catholic family. I'm stressed.

I'm not too sure honestly what medications are out there for that sort of thing.

As a Catholic family, even if your daughter has lapsed in her faith, that upbringing and exposure to certain beliefs and ideals won't have left her and I am sure they're playing a part in her contemplation.

• Agree
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure how you would. Maybe sit her down and have a talk with her, see where she's at, share your thoughts on it, then you'll have to let her make her decision. Make sure she understands what exactly she's doing and the consequences of aborting a baby: physical, mental, spiritual, and otherwise.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure how you would. Maybe sit her down and have a talk with her, see where she's at, share your thoughts on it, then you'll have to let her make her decision. Make sure she understands what exactly she's doing and the consequences of aborting a baby: physical, mental, spiritual, and otherwise.

Good thinking. So far, I have explained to her that she would certainly always have a feeling of loss, which she certainly would, because she really is a tender hearted person. I think she will ultimately choose life. So far, I've been going mostly with hope, in that her good conscience will win in this.

...I just can't believe how people are actually purposely trying to persuede her into abortion. I'm actually shocked over that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I missed the edit. You're going to have to be an influence on her. You're her father. Just don't show you're angry and let her know that it's her decision, but you just want to say your peace and you feel it's very important not to abort.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was very courageous of her to reveal to you that she's pregnant. How old is she?

I'm not sure if you still live in LA but there's a compassionate non-profit organization called Claris Health that assists women with unintended pregnancies. I found out about Claris through a Bel Air Presbyterian event that collected donations for them. It's not militantly anti-abortion, but it does provide more extensive, empathetic counseling to really consider options.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was very courageous of her to reveal to you that she's pregnant. How old is she?

I'm not sure if you still live in LA but there's a compassionate non-profit organization called Claris Health that assists women with unintended pregnancies. I found out about Claris through a Bel Air Presbyterian event that collected donations for them. It's not militantly anti-abortion, but it does provide more extensive, empathetic counseling to really consider options.

She's 19. This is my second oldest daughter.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
That's so sad that she is considering abortion. :( My prayers definitely go out to your family.

An innocent human life is far more important than a bit of convenience, maybe you can try to help her realize that, and that this is a baby, a human being. If she can't fully take care of the baby, maybe she can consider having others help her or letting someone else adopt the baby? I don't have much good advice on this but some others who posted here have given some great tips. I'll be praying too.

• Agree
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you need to speak the truth in love. I would say, "I understand maybe you don't want to be a mother now, but if that's your choice we would hope you would have the baby and give him/her up for adoption. "
I would also encourage her to have an ultrasound...many women change their minds towards life after seeing the reality of the baby inside their womb.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's so sad that she is considering abortion. :( My prayers definitely go out to your family.

An innocent human life is far more important than a bit of convenience, maybe you can try to help her realize that, and that this is a baby, a human being. If she can't fully take care of the baby, maybe she can consider having others help her or letting someone else adopt the baby? I don't have much good advice on this but some others who posted here have given some great tips. I'll be praying too.

It's totally for convenience... My wife and I even said we would raise the child for her if need be. I just never understood the power of this 'choice' we're currently up against.

...I never imagined it would be like this.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe you could point her to literature/videos where women talk about the unexpected and persistent effects their abortions had on them. Some of these testimonies are very powerful, and they provide an element often missing in young persons: life perspective

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What makes me actually upset is my oldest athiest daugbter claimimg that me and my wife's opinion should not matter since our opinion is religiously biased. Unbelievable... Like this is some kind of political game.

...With her, I am extremely upset.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.