private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because you misinterpreted my comments entirely. But I'm not surprised.
You linked the increase in sexual assault against young women today to the ideas of their grandmothers (or in some cases, it will be great grandmothers) back in the 70s and stated that 'ideas have consequences'. So I think 'blaming the woman' is a fair interpretation of your comments. Are you aware that many today haven't even heard of the bra-burners and would probably think their behaviour a bit odd if they did?! I doubt many guys are thinking 'hey, this woman's grandma burned her bra so it's ok for me to assault her'.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all live in the world that our predecessors created, AnnaDeborah, even when we do not realize it.

That may be true ... but how can you correlate that it's fault of 1960 bra-burners ... that men sexually assault women today ?

Something else to consider is that, despite our bra-burning past, ... women in the West are treated better that burka'd women in societies which have yet to "burn their bras" ...

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Something else to consider is that, despite our bra-burning past, ... women in the West are treated better that burka'd women in societies which have yet to "burn their bras" ...
I agree. Do you think that there might be something, anything, in that society's culture, from its past, that has contributed to what you've descried being the situation?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Do you think that there might be something, anything, in that society's culture, from its past, that has contributed to what you've descried being the situation?

What might that be ? And please include some evidence to justify your assertion.

Also ... realize that sexual assault against American women is not something which has just been happening since the burn-your-bra era. It has been happening at all points throughout our history. I have only to speak to my female relatives to ascertain this. Women are just now, beginning to feel emboldened enough to speak of it.

One result of the current METOO movement has been a couple of my female associations from my growing up years ... coming out and speaking to their sexual assault experiences. (The worst experience recounted to-date was a full-on acquaintance rape).

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What might that be ? And please include some evidence to justify your assertion.

Also ... realize that sexual assault against American women is not something which has just been happening since the burn-your-bra era. It has been happening at all points throughout our history. I have only to speak to my female relatives to ascertain this. Women are just now, beginning to feel emboldened enough to speak of it.

One result of the current METOO movement has been a couple of my female associations from my growing up years ... coming out and speaking to their sexual assault experiences. (The worst experience recounted to-date was a full-on acquaintance rape).

I only wish they were emboldened to demand it not happen when it is happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
seriously ashamed that some men take sexual assault on women so lightly

signing my child up for self-defense classes for sure now
and refresher classes for me

I'm not familiar with any man that takes sexual assault on women lightly. I guess I just don't know any men that think it is ok to assault women or that it isn't a very serious matter. Personally , I think such things need to be dealt with immediately and the perpetrators stopped immediately. If societal attitudes, and I think especially the attitudes of many women, mirrored mine, perhaps neither you nor your child would need self -defense classes.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The reactions of men in this thread is actually a deterrent to people speaking out.

The judgement is quite high too. Considering we are Christian's and speak so insensitively on the subject what is a women to expect if she speaks out.

In this thread in general, women (by different people) have been blamed, insinuated that they didn't do enough to stop it, been doubted, been accused of making it up, told that the problem isn't as prevalent as it is, and mocked.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I suppose I should have known that if I wrote "This is what happened," some readers were certain to read it as "I am glad that this happened or "I approve of what happened." :doh: :sigh:

I take it then that you disapprove of those consequences?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this thread in general, women (by different people) have been blamed, insinuated that they didn't do enough to stop it, been doubted, been accused of making it up, told that the problem isn't as prevalent as it is, and mocked.

That's called self-defense ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not familiar with any man that takes sexual assault on women lightly. I guess I just don't know any men that think it is ok to assault women or that it isn't a very serious matter.

maxresdefault.jpg

But that was just "locker room talk..."

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not familiar with any man that takes sexual assault on women lightly. I guess I just don't know any men that think it is ok to assault women or that it isn't a very serious matter. Personally , I think such things need to be dealt with immediately and the perpetrators stopped immediately. If societal attitudes, and I think especially the attitudes of many women, mirrored mine, perhaps neither you nor your child would need self -defense classes.

People tend to run in groups.

Men who respect women often tend to associate with other men who respect women.

Men who don't respect women only tend to express that to other men of the same sort ... I think that they might call it "locker-room talk" ...

Upvote 0