Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We're about to adopt a new kitten. She should be here any day now - as soon as she is a little more comfortable with the litter box. We still don't have a name for her though.

I'd like something kinda unique and funky, but still cute and easy. Here's a pic of her. If you have any ideas, please post!!

ournewgirl.jpg

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Awwwww - she's absolutely gorgeous and super cute!!!! Don't bother to name her, I'll kidnap her. :D

She looks a bit like a Maine Coon. How old is she?

It's hard for me to suggest names since English isn't my native language. But I do have some tips on picking a name. Is she an only cat or does she have older (adopted) siblings? If you already have cats, give her a name that sounds different in every syllable - this makes it easier for them (as in more quickly) to learn their own name and to distinguish it from the other names. Otherwise when you call one cat's name, they will all come to you.

Also, it's good to give her a name that is easy to call. In Dutch, and for now I assume that goes for English too, two-syllable names with the emphasis on the first syllable carry the furthest - which is handy in case your kitty will be allowed outdoors and you want to call her inside. Three syllables is good too, but again, not if the emphasis is on the last one.

Another tip is to give her a name with open sounds. They carry further. In case of outdoors kitty, or, God forbid, indoors kitty who runs away. (When our kitties were indoors, I was terrified of them escaping through an open door/window. Now that they're outdoors I'm much more relaxed about them - isn't that strange?)

I hope you will find a good name. I wish we had a kitten again, they're so cute and funny and mischievous and cuddly. It's wonderful to watch them grow up.

It depends on the kitten how fast she is in learning her new name. Our eldest, Ada, answered to her name within 2 days ( :faint: ) - she was 9 weeks when I got her. She's very smart. Our youngest, Ilia, needed about 3 months. She was 8 weeks when we got her. She's a very slow learner. :D

Good luck! :hug:

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Rebekka, and it's great to see you! :hug:

Yes, she does look like she's got Maine Coon in her, which is what we were looking for. The only thing we know for sure is that she's 1/4 Ragdoll. The rest of the bloodlines are a mystery, lol.

Those are great tips about picking a name, thanks! She will have an older 'brother' and 'sister' and their names are quite different from each other's. Our younger cat is just about two years old now, but is also a Ragdoll. They take longer to mature. So I think she will LOVE having a new kitten to play with, once the initial strangeness is over. And I think our older cat will eventually be happy too because it will mean the younger one has a new friend to play with instead of always bugging him.

The new kitten is quite laid back and cuddly, which is what we really wanted. Our cats are great, but neither is a lapcat, and we really miss having that. I think this little one might be what we've been missing. I sure hope so, anyway!

In the picture above she was just about six weeks old. We should be getting her sometime later in this week. She'll be eight weeks then.

The lady who is giving away the kittens offered to start calling her by whatever name we picked out (very sweet of her!), but we haven't been able to think of one yet!

I could kinda understand about feeling more comfortable when your cats are going outdoors. That way they know their environment and have adapted. When housecats get out they can get lost or attacked much easier.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yes, housecats are more vulnerable once they do get out. Outdoor cats are more streetwise. Ours prefer to stay in the garden, which is a relief (and we're in a very safe neighbourhood). The greatest danger for outdoor cats is getting hit by a car. But in our dead end street there is no traffic.

All cats (and other animals) have a different personality - I hope this kitten will become a lap cat! Cuddling a lot from kitten-stage helps, I think - but some cats are just not wired to be lap cats. I know what you mean about the older cat being relieved, lol - maybe we should get a third cat too :D , we have a 7-year-old and a 2-year-old.

Upvote 0

waxlion10

Just shut up and be delicious- Dwight
Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ooooh my goodness, she is too cute! I want to kittynap her from you ;)

I'll just post some of my favorite cat names, take 'em or leave em. We can't have one in our apartment now, but someday, I hope to get one :)

Suki (Japanese for "beloved")
Froth (Shakespeare's Measure for Measure)Nora (from Ibsen's A Doll House)
Katze (German for "cat")
Timbre (musical term)

Upvote 0

Lena75

Aug 11, 2004
✟21,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Aw, she makes me want a kitty so bad! We have mice in the house. Killed one yesterday and saw another peeping around last night. Hubby won't let us get one because he doesn't want the leather couch scratched up, which is understandable. So, mice traps & poison it is. I just love cats. Much better than dogs! :p

Suki sounds like a nice kitty name. :)

Upvote 0

Rebekka

Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Lena, friends of mine have cats and they got a leather couch because cats don't scratch leather, they scratch a fabric couch! (Our cats scratch our furniture too, that's why we only have old ugly furniture, so I don't mind it that much.) They told me it worked well, the cats stopped scratching.

I love mice, they're almost as cute as cats. :sorry: But if I had mice I think I wouldn't want them in the house either.

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
LOL @ Martha! My hubby actually suggested it too!

We're going to try Suki when we get her on Thursday and see if it fits. We tend to need some time to try out names before we settle on one. The exception was the last cat we got. I thought of her name when I was driving to pick her up. And when I got home with her and suggested it to hubby, he was sold, and that was that. It fit. lol

As for leather couches, I don't think cats usually use them as a scratching post. But they do get scratches from them climbing around on them. The hind claws tend to come up to keep them stable, and eventually that can rip the leather.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
cute kitty! love love love furbabies. My husband and I have three. She kind of looks like a Coco to me...but no matter what you name her love her that's the most important anyways :)
Oh, no problem there!

When we had a cat a few years ago, the kids kept the name simple. Kitty. He listened to that better than any other name we called him! :)
Haha, cute. I had a friend who when she was a kid, was given a tabby cat. So she called it Tabby, thinking that was supposed to be its name. Worked out fine.

Well we finally got her yesterday and she's FANTASTIC!! So sweet and affectionate, and loves to sleep on both me and my husband. And her feet are so adorable. They're huge, with seven toes on each front paw and six on each back paw. I joked about calling her Pancake with such huge feet. Then we joked more about it because we usually say "pancank" which is what my nephew called them when he was learning to talk. I don't think that's what we'll call her, but it was good for a laugh.

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well, I thought I'd give a little update. Our new little girl is settling beautifully into our home. We called her Olive. Our two year old cat has become like her new mom, playing with her lots, letting Olive climb all over her and constantly giving her full baths. Our older cat likes to play with her too. He doesn't usually like to be around other cats a lot, but doesn't seem to mind Olive much at all. We're so thrilled with how they're all getting along. And man, are they ever funny to watch!

She's also a totally cuddly cat who loves to play and cuddle with her new peeps. She walks back and forth between my lap and DH's lap, offering the biggest purrs I've ever heard from a little kitty. Most of the time she prefers to sleep on or near one of us rather than on her own. We just couldn't have asked for a better personality. She plays fetch too! lol

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0