Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My sister and I are completely devastated and not doing well. Mom did take care of everything and provided for us.

Now we know what to do for our loved ones when we pass. Insurance, property values, tax assessments, all the legal stuff you left us with specific instructions to help us.

Thank you, Mom.

Mom, I wish I were like you.

All good things
Emmy

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First off, I am so sorry for your loss. Be sure you let yourself properly grieve.

My mom passed a year ago last April.

I completely get the lessons about bank accounts, insurance information, tax info and the other stuff.

In May, a close friend and father in law of my son passed suddenly. I took what I had learned to help his wife deal with all of the "stuff."

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So sorry to hear about your loss.

Yeah, I learned a lot from when my folks passed as well. Another lesson is - if you're going to name trustees for your estate - name an odd number. If it's an even number (like 2) and they disagree - everything comes to a grinding halt. An odd number will hopefully keep things moving.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My sister and I are completely devastated and not doing well. Mom did take care of everything and provided for us.

Now we know what to do for our loved ones when we pass. Insurance, property values, tax assessments, all the legal stuff you left us with specific instructions to help us.

Thank you, Mom.

All good things
Emmy

My sympathies for your loss.

I know you are based on your post, but anyone whose aging parents put things in order should be very grateful. My mother took the completely opposite strategy - attempting to hang in to the status quo as long as possible - and I will probably have to take a month or two off work to travel out of state and put her affairs in order after the fact when that day comes.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thank you, Mom.

All good things
Emmy

We had a similar eye opening when my mother passed 4 years ago. I am thankful for her being so diligent and making things so much less complicated and confusing. At the time of our grief we were fortunate , thanks to my mother's loving and responsible actions, not to have to dig through reams of documents in search of the one or two we needed to deal with at the time. This would have been the case for our children had my wife and I passed at an earlier time than we eventually do. The thankfulness we experienced inspired my wife and I to strive follow that example. I would encourage everyone to think about doing the same.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you all.

Mom took care of us all to the end. She was only 59 and my sister Erin went to her house and found she had died in her bed. The autopsy showed that she had a massive stroke.

You know, you always think our parents will be there forever. Now Erin and I are not good. We're quite upset but we are carrying on like Mom would want us, which is much easier said than done.

Erin and I try to carry on with Mom's positive spirit, to love folks, and follow her examples of love.

But I'm sorry to admit I'll never be the woman she was, but I promise I'll try.

All good things
Emmy

• Friendly
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0