Our future sins are not already forgiven? Your thoughts?

Benam

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2017
BC
✟679,302.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jesus died to pay for the wages of your sin, past and future. But that's not the same as being forgiven for them. I believe one must continue to repent and ask forgiveness when we sin.

Upvote 0

Rapture Bound

Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2021
Massachusetts
✟186,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think of the idea that when we are saved all our past sins are forgiven, but not our future sins? Thoughts?

4 minute clip.

Say what say you zoidar? ... what is your perspective? Are you endorsing the viewpoint of that man that finished the video by implying that God will re-instate the past sins on the part of some believers [resulting in the forfeiture of their salvation?] ... or perhaps you are undecided.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you think of the idea that when we are saved all our past sins are forgiven, but not our future sins? Thoughts?

4 minute clip.

Rom 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,

2Pe 1:9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
2 John 2: 1-2 My dear children I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father-Jesus Christ, the righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sin, and not only us for the sins of whole world.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

4 minute clip.

That is a demonic doctrine, designed to trap Christians who fall into sin, after coming to Christ. The Bible tells us the cross covers our lifetime of sins.

Heb 9:27-28 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.

One lifetime of sins, covered by the blood of Jesus. Sure willful sin can get you into a lot of trouble, even cause the loss of faith, but sin after becoming a Christain is covered as well.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican

4 minute clip.

i agree

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1 and into 2 is clear. Why is it not included in this discussion? We're in a dynamic relationship with God that requires us to do certain things, including walking with Him in the light & acknowledging our sins to Him. All the "if" statements are specifying conditions for us to live by.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Say what say you zoidar? ... what is your perspective? Are you endorsing the viewpoint of that man that finished the video by implying that God will re-instate the past sins on the part of some believers [resulting in the forfeiture of their salvation?] ... or perhaps you are undecided.
There is no question that Christ's sacrifice can wash away both past and future sins. Christ's death was for all sin. There we all agree (except maybe Calvinists). The question is I guess, if our future sins are covered, or needs to be repented of to be covered by the sacrifice. Thanks for asking, I don't know, but I like the way the first poster Benam put it:

Jesus died to pay for the wages of your sin, past and future. But that's not the same as being forgiven for them. I believe one must continue to repent and ask forgiveness when we sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rom 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,

2Pe 1:9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
You seem to agree?

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a demonic doctrine, designed to trap Christians who fall into sin, after coming to Christ. The Bible tells us the cross covers our lifetime of sins.

Heb 9:27-28 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.

One lifetime of sins, covered by the blood of Jesus. Sure willful sin can get you into a lot of trouble, even cause the loss of faith, but sin after becoming a Christain is covered as well.
Thanks for your thoughts! God bless!

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

4 minute clip.

How can they not be forgiven? How many of your sins were current when Jesus died on the cross? I'd say none. Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world - 2,000 years ago.

Ephesians 1:7
"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.

Reactions: Rapture Bound
Upvote 0

Rapture Bound

Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2021
Massachusetts
✟186,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You said, "One lifetime of sins, covered by the blood of Jesus. Sure willful sin can get you into a lot of trouble, even cause the loss of faith, but sin after becoming a Christian is covered as well."

I'm a little confused by your statement. Are you implying that there will be some blood-bought believers who will ultimately be cast into the Lake of Fire? The question that I'm asking you is directly, inevitably, and unavoidably connected with zoidar's OP. Understanding the answer to his question is so very important since it entails vital elements concerning the permanent nature of Christ's atoning work ... the very heart and essence of the Christian faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can they not be forgiven? How many of your sins were current when Jesus died on the cross? I'd say none. Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world - 2,000 years ago.

Ephesians 1:7
"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.
I think it depends on what you think was accomplished by the atonement. Was every sin forgiven through the atonement, or is forgiveness of every sin available through the atonenent. It's not that I say you are wrong though.

The view David Bercot (the guy talking in the clip) is promoting is that Christ's sacrifice forgives your sins as you repent and being saved (since you have no future sins at that moment, those sins can't have been forgiven). Then if you sin after being saved those sins are not already forgiven, though Christ is sacrificed for those sins also. So you need to repent of those new sins to receive forgiveness for them as well.

Again, I'm not saying he is right, just trying to explain his view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

4 minute clip.

Is there scripture directly addressing past vs future sin? I do know Jesus Christ of Nazareth often said " sin no more". Blessings.

Upvote 0

Rapture Bound

Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2021
Massachusetts
✟186,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Here's some further clarification on my last reply [post #15] :

It appears to me that if sufficient evidence can be presented to show that not a single genuine believer will ever forfeit their justified standing before God ... then it only logically follows that all of a believer's sins [past, present, and future] have been forgiven ... it's a done deal. It's my belief that sufficient evidence can indeed be presented, making it a "done deal".

There are so very many who have an extremely hard time accepting what I'm saying. My claim is often and easily misconstrued as being some type of "easy believism" or a promise that is "too good to be true" ... but I have simply believed and rested upon what is offered to all of those who will sincerely repent and believe the gospel message [that is, receive it]. In other words, zoidar's OP essentially revolves around, and turns back to the topic of the eternal security of the believer ... can believers be assured that they will go to heaven in the here and now [in the present] or can they, at best, merely hope that their faith will "hold up" and "remain sufficient" during their earthly journeys?

Upvote 0

Rapture Bound

Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2021
Massachusetts
✟186,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there scripture directly addressing past vs future sin? I do know Jesus Christ of Nazareth often said " sin no more". Blessings.

John 8:11, "She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

It's my opinion that there's nothing in Jesus' statement here that necessarily implies the consequence of the forfeiture of salvation [i.e. past sins being re-instated] if a believer goes and "sins some more." However, if a person who professes to be a believer continues to willfully "sin it up" [as a lifestyle, that which is characteristic of them], and has no problem with that in their conscience, and experiences no change of mind concerning them ... then it's pretty safe to say that they have never experienced the new birth [soul/spirit regeneration].

Upvote 0

Rapture Bound

Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2021
Massachusetts
✟186,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

4 minute clip.

Here's another way, [my perspectiive] of perceiving your question :

"Our" future sins [as it concerns a person's justified standing/acceptance before God] are only conditionally forgiven/remitted, when [or once] a person places their faith in Christ's atoning blood and resurrection as the only ground of their forgiveness. So here, the "our" refers to every and all persons who are yet unregenerate.

However, if [and once] a person fulfills that sole required condition, one single drop of Jesus' blood remits all the future sins of that born-again, regenerated person. Again, it's important to note that all that I'm stating here concerns forgiveness as it relates to the standing [justified status] of a person before God [as opposed to how God deals with (future) sin in the life of a regenerated individual].

• Informative
Upvote 0